If you're suicidal, you should read this

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToHelp

If you used Samaritans - I can assure you that we are confidential and therefore non-interventionist, no matter where in the world we are, even in the US (Click for NY Samaritans info, for example)....
Ahhh, really? I stand... educated then Aba. And I did know (NOT about the stateside presence)--I knew you were very cool :))) about the no-interventionalist thing).

"We," huh! Didn't know that!!

"If you didn't, then it merely fuels my suspicions that most, if not all suicide crisis centres in the US are interventionist (except Samaritans)."

Yep--you do best be careful about what you say. I know the laws pertaining but through my long years of AA meetings have heard of people (i.e., this just happened on here to a beloved member who I respect so much as to not to name him or her) being *bam*, whisked off for a minimum 72 TDO.

I do hope I said clearly that that's not always and necessarily a *bad* policy--except the most obvious drawback and is possibly keeping people away from seeking help.

Man, it's a dilemma to me. You save a person for the moment; if they are indigent here in the states AND severe; i.e., can't shake an obsession with just 'doing it', then you're....

I'm actually leaving this post "open," most certainly unresolved.

For IF you cannot shake an obsession suicide and are indigigent (relagated to comparatively shoddy outpatient care)... what are you to do? What can our system (a bit too busy off making million-dollar J-DAMS for war) do?

The effing U.S. is a war machine, brother--it's in a blood. So I don't think anybody is going this model marked by truly twiste priorities (IN MY OPINION).

It there falls upon the sufferer, and goddamnit to hell, you know - sometimes we lose them.

:(

ToHelp

“Suicide is not chosen. It happens when pain exceeds
resources for coping with pain.”

Ehhh, I don't know. Always had a problem with this logic specifically worded to remove guilt, shame, and to comfort. Well first of all, sui-cui is always an act of will, is ALWAYS chosen. It does not "just happen." Ok? The rest of it I agree with--"that pain can exceed available resources for coping with pain" can and is logically sound.

However, in a similar vein, this is NOT logically analous with killing oneself: "If I start piling weights on your shoulders, you will eventually collapse if I add enough weights... no matter how much you want to remain standing."

Here's why. Suicide can be complex and comprised of multifaceted psychological problems. But the latter is a physics corrollary so is far oversimplified ("dumbed-down" if you will).

And the rest? Well, it's well-intentioned but as you see there is a lot of "feel-good" element which many people in this thread have immediately spotted and called out for being so.

In particular as I have said, is the NOW I WANT YOU TO CALL SOMEONE tact. Just CALLING any of those numbers willy nilly can get you locked up for God ONLY knows how long.

Some people just want to TALK, not get arrested for a sleight of the tongue.

Well. I have to run. "That's my story and I'm sticking to it." :laugh:

JOHN

ToHelp

Hey didn't author it shar.

I don't know if anyones ever posted this before.. I searched and didn't find it. but I found it today and thought I'd share...
Note: Everything I have written down here I got from: http://www.metanoia.org/suicide/
Only you can prevent your own suicide. Only you can, in the final analysis choose life. You are correct: These or any other words alone cannot "stop" you from doing what your mind is set upon doing, nor "make" you want to live.

This is the harsh reality of things. Words alone can only inspire or deter.

ToHelp

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST!!

I just joined this site a few minutes ago.. and this was the first post I came across and it was really amazing.

I love this Quote: “Suicide is not chosen; it happens
when pain exceeds
resources for coping with pain.”

I very much need a site like this as I am going through some really DARK/HOPELESS suicidal feelings and have been for a very long time. :sad: I need people like ALL of you on this site to help me get through this.

I have to go for now though, I have a few job interviews etc. today. I just recently lost my job and my depression that Ive had since I was 13 and I am now almost 38 has triggered my depression and suicide thoughts terribly. I feel like I am walking around in a trance and I just get through each day as best as I can... but latley its getting harder and harder. :sad:

I look forward to talking with a lot of you on here very soon. :smile:

Thank you for listening to me and its nice to have people that "really understand" how we feel.

What about my situation. I dont want to kill myself at all . I love life and enjoy everything I do.
Im in trouble with the law and my attorney says I will do a minimum of 5 years in prison mandatory if I loose my trial.
The thing I am being charged with is bs and hopefully the truth will vindicate me but if I loose Im going to prison .
Im 45 years old . I wont go to prison and will have to commit suicide . Ive made up my mind and it will happen .
Hopefully it will all go away but I have about a year to stress over it and knowing that is like a terminal disease . I will have to end my life prematurely by my own hand and that really sucks .
Ive done alot more great and awsome things in my life than most ever do .
Im gratefull for that . Like I said I am not depressed much just upset that this is a fact and very possible outcome and thats a little hard .
What really sorta pisses me off is Im being honest about this with my wife and she doesnt believe me and gets really shitty with me which isnt helping so I guess thats why Im here.

Avarice

Wow, reading other peoples responses I feel like my reason for wanting to end it all is nothing. That calling thing though doesn't work if you have nosey parents or siblings around the house and don't want them to find out what's going on in your life. x.x

welcomes moto, what is it taht you ae being prosicuted with? would you not serve the sentence and then live the remainder of your life?
rememebr your wife is goign to loose you eitehr way, one of which is permanent, she is as stressed as you, and probably doesnt want to hear you say if you loose your goign to kill yourself .
:hug: welcome to the forum anyway

I guess it can be helpful, but I already knew everything that's said there and if I really wanted to commit suicide, I woudn't be here on a pro-life forum trying to find a story that tells me why I shouldn't do it. First you say 5 minutes of my time, and then I have to wait a whole day huh. I think it's kind of a sneaky approach, trying to get a grip on you.:mad:
Well good job anyways:wink:

i tried sending an email to a samaritan i don't know it works or if they will recieve it, im just so desperate that i wanted to talk to somebody, i took a chance clinging to a very tiny hope that i still have and it made me forget for a while and end up here.

made me feel better too.

Crue-K

i tried sending an email to a samaritan i don't know it works or if they will recieve it, im just so desperate that i wanted to talk to somebody, i took a chance clinging to a very tiny hope that i still have and it made me forget for a while and end up here.

made me feel better too.
They email you back within 24 hours, assuming you sent it to the jo@samaritans email address. :smile:

Little_me

Thank you for posting this Jess, it gave me some hope... "Rebember that relief is a feeling, and you have to be alive to feel it" -I've never thought about that before. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00