• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

I'm Not Doing Well

#41
Do something nice for yourself or others.
is that you can die at any time so make each moment count
Those are good points, one's I usually live by. I'm just tired of the ugliness, which over time just makes me not care about anything. It seems every time I have try to have a goal there is something or someone who wants to turn me into someone I don't want to be, to conform to a narrative I don't believe in or want nothing to do with. Does that make sense to anyone? Which is why I get disillusioned about having goals, because if achieving them means having to be someone who I'm not, than I'd rather not bother.

I appreciate the responses,
 
#42
Those are good points, one's I usually live by. I'm just tired of the ugliness, which over time just makes me not care about anything. It seems every time I have try to have a goal there is something or someone who wants to turn me into someone I don't want to be, to conform to a narrative I don't believe in or want nothing to do with. Does that make sense to anyone? Which is why I get disillusioned about having goals, because if achieving them means having to be someone who I'm not, than I'd rather not bother.

I appreciate the responses,
Those are good points, one's I usually live by. I'm just tired of the ugliness, which over time just makes me not care about anything. It seems every time I have try to have a goal there is something or someone who wants to turn me into someone I don't want to be, to conform to a narrative I don't believe in or want nothing to do with. Does that make sense to anyone? Which is why I get disillusioned about having goals, because if achieving them means having to be someone who I'm not, than I'd rather not bother.

I appreciate the responses,
This is awesome:
https://medium.com/stoicism-philoso...deal-with-other-peoples-opinions-cd41680c1277
 
#43
It's been about a month and a half since I posted here. On Tuesday I took off of work because I couldn't cope again and was going to act on suicide. It was a nice sunny day, the 'timing' was right. I decided to go visit my mother instead at the last second and spend some time with her. I told her one of the reasons I don't visit her as often anymore is because I'm tired of being the bringer of bad news all the time. I don't want to make people sad just by existing.

On Wednesday I was dumped on at work, and had an unpleasant experience on Thursday breaking down and saying some very dark things to some acquaintances. I just keep thinking about how many bad things I wouldn't have to deal with if I was dead. Sure I don't want to hurt those around me, but one of the worst feelings about not acting on suicide is knowing it doesn't make a bit of difference to me whether I do or not. It only matters to the living.

I am not afraid of suicide any more, nor do I think it's the worst thing that can happen to someone as I now believe there are worse things. I no longer and refuse to listen to any idea that some punishment or some spiritual supernatural bad effect will happen to someone for doing so. Although it may be true, I don't care anymore if it is because living in this world for some just pushes you to a breakpoint where it doesn't matter anymore. Nothing matters, it never did and never will. Doing good and carrying on just for Karma points is only an illusion.

I guess recurring in my mind is I don't understand that if there is truly something more to this world than the brutal planet I see, if there truly is a reason why I shouldn't take my life, than why won't the universe show it to me? Otherwise, I am forced to assume there is nothing else. I just can't believe this is 'it', there has to be more, it just feels so stupid to me, to end like this. And yet in the time it took me to write this, how many people acted on suicide that absolutely no one gave a damn about, what were their lives worth? It's very hard for me to believe that dead is not better for some
 
#47
Hi, @I Love Tomorrow - Just wondering if there is something that exists (& if there isn't, what would it take) in order for you to find a decent reason to live? Even if it is an unrealistic expectation?
What would it take to have a decent reason to live? That's a good question. I guess having a little more hope in humanity, and something to look forward to that makes me happy(that isn't bad for me like bad habits). But with no more passion to do or achieve anything, maybe it is unrealistic for me. I feel like expired milk that should've just been dumped down the drain a long time ago.
 
#48
What would it take to have a decent reason to live? That's a good question. I guess having a little more hope in humanity, and something to look forward to that makes me happy(that isn't bad for me like bad habits). But with no more passion to do or achieve anything, maybe it is unrealistic for me. I feel like expired milk that should've just been dumped down the drain a long time ago.
Um, you are not milk, and humans should not be dumped down the drain. *hug10 Every life has value and certainly a caring person like you does.
 

MisterBGone

~\_āœ…`,')
SF Supporter
#49
What would it take to have a decent reason to live? That's a good question. I guess having a little more hope in humanity, and something to look forward to that makes me happy(that isn't bad for me like bad habits). But with no more passion to do or achieve anything, maybe it is unrealistic for me. I feel like expired milk that should've just been dumped down the drain a long time ago.
Can you think of anything in particular, that would make you happy, and that interests you? In terms of, "having something to look forward to?" For me, I'm struggling to find something that isn't 'pie-in-the-sky,' too... So, I know it isn't easy to see~
 

Waves

Well-Known Member
#51
Thanks Waves. Losing your mother young must have been hard. I do appreciate my mother, I just feel I make her sad sometimes.
Hello again. Glad you appreciate your mother. In my humble opinion, a mother’s love is like no other. Only a mother nearly sacrifices her health to birth a human being. I know not all mothers give unconditional love, nurturance and are fit to be a parent, By the same token, most good moms aren’t truly appreciated until we are without them. I soon discovered how much I missed my mother when I could not run back to her nest for comfort and support so that I could face the cold world. Yes we do bring pain and sadness to moms. When we hurt they hurt. We are a part of them after all. They also relish in our joys. When we smile, their hearts fill with joy.
 
#52
Hello again. Glad you appreciate your mother. In my humble opinion, a mother’s love is like no other. Only a mother nearly sacrifices her health to birth a human being. I know not all mothers give unconditional love, nurturance and are fit to be a parent, By the same token, most good moms aren’t truly appreciated until we are without them. I soon discovered how much I missed my mother when I could not run back to her nest for comfort and support so that I could face the cold world. Yes we do bring pain and sadness to moms. When we hurt they hurt. We are a part of them after all. They also relish in our joys. When we smile, their hearts fill with joy.
That was well said thank you
 
#54
Can you think of anything in particular, that would make you happy, and that interests you? In terms of, "having something to look forward to?"
Well, in a nutshell I would say being able to be me unapologetic to the world would make me happy. But I seem to be someone the world doesn't like very much. And opportunity is limited in this world with many reaching for the same thing, so someone's going to be disappointed. And that seemingly usually happens to the humble. I decided a long time ago I wasn't going to fight someone or step on others to get what I want in the world, even if they don't mind doing so.

But the worst thing lately is I just can't see why any of this matters. I grew up a Lutheran boy from a religious family, and you see when you believe in religion it gives you this sense of being a part of something, that you and everything around you has meaning to it, whether good or bad. It also gives you a belief of an afterlife, a reason to do good and what you can in this life for a reward after(and a fear or guilt of punishment if you don't). But I don't have that anymore as I gave up on my and religion in general over the years. I'm a very logical person which doesn't usually fit well with religion. I look at it now as I'm living the truth(as I see it), that there is no loving God, religion/superstition is man made, and there is no afterlife or justice in this world. I feel good living my truth and being separate from religion now, but the problem is it has left me a very empty, dark, nihilistic person.

So you see it doesn't matter to me what I or anyone else does anymore, achieving dreams or being happy is pointless, if we're all going to die and nothing means anything anyway. Be happy be sad, do good do bad, live long die young, none of it matters to me because I don't see a reason why it would. And it's so unfair, it seems so random, and all the pain. Look at all that seemingly pointless suffering, and for what? I also don't really fear death, I'm a bit curious of it actually. And when you combine that with having nothing to live for, it's a dangerous combination.

So somebody, anybody; Why does it matter based on what I said? Have you dealt with this?
 
Last edited:

MisterBGone

~\_āœ…`,')
SF Supporter
#55
You seem like a good person to me from the sounds of it. Because you're right, a lot of people prefer to walk over others to get what they want, and succeed in life. Now, I think maybe a key could be in working out that which you've been searching through more recently, with respect to the giving up of your spirituality, and now feeling or being, somewhat "lost." I'm not suggesting you'd need to find religion again, but rather, something that you can find a foundation to build a better sense of self with, and therefore some means by which to derive purpose in life. This may yield a motivation, or an inspiration of sorts - a reason, that is - in order to continue on & pursue something worth pursuing.

As it stands now you seem to have lost direction from how I'm reading things (& I may be inaccurate here, to a certain degree). But what I'm hearing, is that even though you no longer believe in religion, when you did (brain washed or not) you felt a stronger belief in yourself, and how the world works. So in other words, you were more satisfied with life, and thus were perhaps more willing to engage in these endeavors that you no can see no point in engaging, or striving for.

That is what I am wondering, is if you couldn't find some other thing to, for want of a better word, ground you. And make you feel less unsettled, less uncertain, which all of these things produce two things, maybe you don't want or wish to define them as such (& I'm not even suggesting by text book definition they are) but: anxiety & depression. Fear, and the feeling of having, or wanting to "give-up!" Because there just doesn't seem to be any reason, or any point, given what is given and in regards how low you're feeling, both in terms of 'mood,' & also future prospects/meaning in life. Etc~

Is there some reason why you can't (just) be yourself? Who, or what, is stopping you? Do you care (overly so) what others think of you?

I think that even though you've made the decision and moved on from how you were raised, and are now in a different place & space, in all things. . . That there could be something there from your history that is still bothering you. If you don't want to call it a trauma, or refer to it as such, because that is too strong a term, fine - but I do think that there's a chance that this ... not sitting right / or well with you (your religious past/& thus, now newfound identity) is part of what's making things so difficult in the here & the now. Maybe I'm wrong? And you have every right to disagree! But if you want my opinion, based on what you've said, then that is what it is. You don't have to like it, and I probably wouldn't if I were you. But when that dust has settled, maybe if I could focus or harness some of that energy into getting to the bottom of this - discrepancy - might be of benefit (to me, or you) going forward. Hard to go forward when the past is slowing us down. And thwarting our progress at every turn. It's like a gear that's grinding; & sometimes to a halt.

What I'm saying is if you were perfectly and completely fine with your past, and it didn't bother you one iota, would that not make you feel just a little bit freer? I (just) know it would for me. Best to you!
 
Last edited:
#56
Is there some reason why you can't (just) be yourself? Who, or what, is stopping you? Do you care (overly so) what others think of you?
For some reason this statement seems to resonate with me the most. I want to thank you for such a well thought out response and taking the time to care about my situation.

Do I care what others think of me? When it comes to survival I do, which is weird because I don't really care about surviving. But I don't wish to hurt others, I want to be liked also, I don't like having enemies. I'm a horrible combination though of both a peacemaker, rebel, and a fool. I feel I have a spirit that is pulled in opposite directions, if that makes sense.

A part of me feels often like I'm supposed to be a suicide, and like I should have did it a long time ago. It's a different feeling than just aging, it's hard to describe.
 

MisterBGone

~\_āœ…`,')
SF Supporter
#57
I've felt like you, in that last section there, many times before. And for the longest time... So, I think I know how it is you are feeling, even though the reasons might differ. There was a line from an old movie (well, several I suppose) that I used to cling to--which probably wasn't good--but it helped me express myself best--& that was: 'But it's all because of the bad things I've done. If only I'd made up my mind to give myself up years ago, then this wouldn't have happened.' I don't know if I'm remembering it quite right, but the general thought, or idea is close~
Maybe it means less without the context of the movie?

In any case, I don't find it strange to be all of those things wrapped up into one. Most people don't play just one note, or series of (the same/or similar). . . And so, I think that is o. k. / It's probably frustrating at times, when you go to analyze it, I'd suppose. And maybe even a little bit confusing as well. But such is life! If it all made sense, or everything made sense, I suppose it'd be boring. Safer, maybe. But less interesting, anyway!

Now, I guess, the question is... how do you go about finding, or discovering a means or a reason to not only survive, but also to go beyond that? And to find a real tangible, authentic purpose to life, and living for yourself. While it is understandable to live (only) for others, there's got to be more to it than that in order for you to sustain, and not to just simply exist. Because what can happen after too long a period of that, is that you can stagnate, or worse--deteriorate.

So that may be the key. I know it isn't easy, but if I were you, maybe I'd be searching for something to give me some meaning, and some hope. Some inspiration, for the motivation. Or something like that, in order to live a more prosperous life. It's hard when you feel like this, and you don't really like anything though, so I do understand where you're coming from.

Just think of it like this, if you're already hear, at this place that is seeming like it may be nearing the end. Then what have you got to lose by going for broke? Don't worry about what anybody else thinks. Just do what you want to, or what you've always wished for. That's what I'd be attempting in my final act(s). If I only had the energy! ; )
 
#58
While it is understandable to live (only) for others, there's got to be more to it than that in order for you to sustain, and not to just simply exist. Because what can happen after too long a period of that, is that you can stagnate, or worse--deteriorate.
Yes you're right. That is exactly where I am unfortunately.

Just think of it like this, if you're already hear, at this place that is seeming like it may be nearing the end. Then what have you got to lose by going for broke?
That's good advice. I was in this position earlier in the year actually. I went for it and took some chances to be social again, had some good experiences but ultimately fell flat on my face again. I think I've learned that every year of one's life can be a little different, and you change and learn a bit more about yourself too, even if it's ugly or hard to accept. Now I have to try and pick up the pieces again, once more if possible.

I will have to think about the rest that was said for now, thank you again
 
#59
I guess recurring in my mind is I don't understand that if there is truly something more to this world than the brutal planet I see, if there truly is a reason why I shouldn't take my life, than why won't the universe show it to me? Otherwise, I am forced to assume there is nothing else. I just can't believe this is 'it', there has to be more, it just feels so stupid to me, to end like this. And yet in the time it took me to write this, how many people acted on suicide that absolutely no one gave a damn about, what were their lives worth? It's very hard for me to believe that dead is not better for some
It's brutal for you and me. But don't assume for a second that it's brutal for others as well. Because it isn't, it isn't at all. Just look at all those fools who really live life, they have everything and they really don't lack anything. They are very well adapted to the society in which they live.

It seems to me that only a very small group of people struggle a lot in life, not just a lot but all the time, but the rest are fine. The rest are doing great. You would not believe how good it is for some people, and they are not better people than us. They are often worse, much worse.
I don't know why some struggle a lot sometimes from the very beginning of life and others struggle little or not at all. I don't know why nothing good ever happens to some people.
There is a huge imbalance between how much some have and how much others don't have and never had anything.
In the case of those for whom nothing good happens in life, as a rule, it is really not worth continuing with life.

How could anyone in their perfectly right and healthy mind love society? How he could possibly be part of society?
I completely understand your need to not be a part of this freak show.
 
#60
It's brutal for you and me. But don't assume for a second that it's brutal for others as well. Because it isn't, it isn't at all. Just look at all those fools who really live life, they have everything and they really don't lack anything. They are very well adapted to the society in which they live.

It seems to me that only a very small group of people struggle a lot in life, not just a lot but all the time, but the rest are fine. The rest are doing great. You would not believe how good it is for some people, and they are not better people than us. They are often worse, much worse.
I don't know why some struggle a lot sometimes from the very beginning of life and others struggle little or not at all. I don't know why nothing good ever happens to some people.
There is a huge imbalance between how much some have and how much others don't have and never had anything.
In the case of those for whom nothing good happens in life, as a rule, it is really not worth continuing with life.

How could anyone in their perfectly right and healthy mind love society? How he could possibly be part of society?
I completely understand your need to not be a part of this freak show.
My perception of the world appears to differ from yours. While I agree there is great injustice and inequity, I think most people struggle on some level. I grew up in poverty but went to a high school where most of the kids were from wealthy families (I don't mean middle class but with a lot of generational wealth including land) and many of their parents had high-level professions like doctor, lawyer, engineer and so on. As
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top