• You may receive an error message when sending PMs at the moment. The message you're trying to send has been sent and if you refresh your screen, you will see it. Otherwise you may get many repeated messages. We're working on this!

Interest versus Passion

alixer

We are all one
SF Supporter
I just finished talking to my therapist about my chronic lack of motivation. It's not a trivial matter. My lack of motivation has led me to dark places where the only thing I have been motivated to do was attempt. Sorry for being bleak, but I just wanted to communicate this is an important topic to me.

So, back to the story. As I was talking to her about what my lack of motivation felt like, something slipped out that I think is important and I'm trying to get a handle on it. I told her that my current job was the result of pursuing my interests, not my passions. I didn't mean to word it that way, nor did I mean to say the two were different. But I could not deny I had just expressed something I felt to be true. Interests and passions are different, I think. First, do you agree? Second, how would you describe what an interest is and what a passion is? I'm still working through this, but I feel like a passion is something that sparks a light of motivation inside me, and an interest is something I find tremendously curious. I would characterise them as:

Passion is something that fulfills me. Passion is something that gives me purpose.

An interest is something that can hold my attention favourably for a prolong and profound period of time.

These are not the official definitions. These are want I think they are. Actually, let me look up the definitions....

According to Merriam-Webster:

A passion is defined as a strong liking or desire for or devotion to some activity, object, or concept. (*)

An interest is defined as something that arouses special attention (*).

I'm wondering how these two things are different, because I think that when I'm engaged with them I am motivated. But as common as these two words are, as I look at them, I'm struggling to understand them or understand how they apply to my life.

Your thoughts are greatly welcome.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
I agree, I think the words represent different things. 'Passionate' is way overused these days and when that happens to a word it becomes stripped of any real meaning. Passionate is used only with certain professions. You'll never ever see a chef on television who isn't 'passionate' about food. But you'll never see a banker or stockbroker who says he's passionate about money. Or a doctor say he's passionate about medicine.
It's possible to be interested in things, and people, without being passionate. But now everything has to be a superlative, so 'like' and 'interested' aren't good enough.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$276.00
Goal
$255.00