• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Ideas & Opinions Is a diagnosis helpful?

Lekatt

Love Cats Love All
SF Supporter
#21
I don't think a diagnosis is of much importance. It is better to just work on improving and understanding will come.

I have seen some that are diagnosed use it as an excuse for bad behavior. They say don't blame me, blame the diagnosis. This is not helpful to anyone. Better to just work on changing the behavior and getting better.
 

Aurelia

πŸ”₯ A Fire Inside πŸ”₯
SF Supporter
#23
The helpful part is knowing what's more or less likely to treat the problem. The not so helpful part is identifying with the label of one's mental illness as an excuse or an identity type of thing.
 

mosaic hearts

I am we - working hard at getting it together.πŸ¦‹πŸ»
#24
The helpful part is knowing what's more or less likely to treat the problem. The not so helpful part is identifying with the label of one's mental illness as an excuse or an identity type of thing.
A correct diagnosis is helpful for validating one's experiences & treatment planning. For example, there's a huge difference between treating Schizophrenia versus Major Depressive Disorder. Just some thoughts.
 

Dante

Life-long ponderer.. and Git.
SF Pro
SF Supporter
#26
Personally I find labels helpful, but thats down to how I work through and analyse things. If I can identify the source of something I can begin unpacking and understanding it, and that robs it of much of its power, it also lets me identify and separate it from everything else, but further than that, in my diagnosis of Aspergers, it has even helped me accept parts of myself as "normal" which I otherwise would have labelled as anything but, and given me a sense of community I never had, I belong to the community of aspies. I can even identify other members now. We usually get on.

The reason knowing my diagnoses is helpful is because of my positive and constructive approach to it (flying in the face of my otherwise negative and cynical personality). Perhaps your therapist has determined that your approach to a diagnosis wouldnt be as healthy, or maybe just not healthy at this point, or perhaps they dont even know and dont want
 

mosaic hearts

I am we - working hard at getting it together.πŸ¦‹πŸ»
#27
Personally I find labels helpful, but thats down to how I work through and analyse things. If I can identify the source of something I can begin unpacking and understanding it, and that robs it of much of its power, it also lets me identify and separate it from everything else, but further than that, in my diagnosis of Aspergers, it has even helped me accept parts of myself as "normal" which I otherwise would have labelled as anything but, and given me a sense of community I never had, I belong to the community of aspies. I can even identify other members now. We usually get on.

The reason knowing my diagnoses is helpful is because of my positive and constructive approach to it (flying in the face of my otherwise negative and cynical personality). Perhaps your therapist has determined that your approach to a diagnosis wouldnt be as healthy, or maybe just not healthy at this point, or perhaps they dont even know and dont want
Or they have a "working" diagnosis & need more time to observe before coming to a final conclusion.
 

Survivorist

Black sheep of my family....
#28
I was diagnosed with MSD, PTSD, Depressions, suicidal tendencies etc. Had therapies - nothing really helps. I know how I came to this point, It's all just words. But I know that I am sick, how it feels, what the reactions are and how difficult it is to get out of it - so I fight or I go under.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top