is chinese food healthy?

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Petal, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

in general i eat a lot of curry and chinese dishes, is eating chinese food everyday healthy?

2. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I don't know if it healthy or not, but I love chinese food. The only problem is that several hours afterwards I always puke it up. For some reason my body won't accept the 5 spices they use in their food. Shame really.

3. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

I grew up on it. I'm Chinese. I'm pretty healthy too. But the difference is that its all home cooked stuff... I don't know if you are referring to the takeaway stuff or not.

Generally with curry, stay away from eating it EVERY day. It's good, but some curries are really rich and therefore arent that great for your heart, especially if they have coconut milk in them, and lots of red meat.

Also, some Chinese foods use a lot of oil, in particular takeaway Chinese, so be mindful of that.

Otherwise, I can't really fault it.

and for the record... I love 5 star spices... they're my absolute favourite thing. =D

TDM

4. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

well, Chinese folks do it. And theres 1B of them, so I guess so..

ps: curry isnt chinese..:tongue:

5. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

Well it depends on what your eating really. Homemade chinese is good for you but chinese takeaways are definately not healthy :laugh: (even if they are tasty.)

6. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

Take aways no

Homemade stuff which is tofu/vegetable based with a little oil is very good

Curries- coconut milk and things doused in ghee- no

But lentil based things + vegetables are very good for you made from scratch.

7. ybt

ybt Guest

Uh, OK. I'm going to give you a weird, but true, answer.

Health is relative. As Lewis Black says, what's good for you will kill the person sitting next to you.

8. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

I love Chinese food but I've never made it at home. I should learn how.

9. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

thanks everyone, i guess its not as healthy as i thought it was lol

10. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

healthy or not, I like it.

11. wanttodie

wanttodie Well-Known Member

I like it and I actually think its healthy if they use less oil

12. Dunno for sure (of course), but I love it. There are far more vegetables in it and so it's much less 'processed' (but then who knows anymore what goes into the growing of it?). Reminds me of a comedian who said, "I can't wait for all those healthy people to die! Isn't that just going to PISS them OFF!"

And this... :biggrin:

For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting medical studies:

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the
    Americans, Australians, British, or Canadians.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and also suffer fewer heart attacks than
    the Americans, Australians, British, or Canadians.

3. The Japanese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks
    than the Americans, Australians, British, or Canadians.

4. The Italians drink large amounts of red wine and also suffer fewer heart
    attacks than the Americans, Australians, British, or Canadians.

5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and
    suffer fewer heart attacks than the Americans,Australians, British, or Canadians.

6. Ukrainians drink a lot of vodka, eat a lot of perogies, cabbage rolls and
    suffer fewer heart attacks than the Americans, Australians, British, or Canadians.

CONCLUSION:
    Eat and drink what you like.
    Speaking English is apparently what kills you.