Is suicide a sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aquariamethystea

Grr... This damn annoying topic again. Simply said, suicide is not sinful and people who suicide do not go to hell. Unfortunately, I didn't create this topic thread, otherwise, I'd ask for it to be closed.

Grr... This damn annoying topic again. Simply said, suicide is not sinful and people who suicide do not go to hell. Unfortunately, I didn't create this topic thread, otherwise, I'd ask for it to be closed.
You don't have to reply to it, BP..
It's your opinion that suicide isn't a sin, to others, as can be seen - that obviously isn't the case.

There's no reason to close this thread at all, at the moment.

Hae-Gi

Banned Member
I think suicide can be very brave, honorable and sometimes even positive and pure, such as if you have a girlfriend, but don't want to live in this crappy world, and she feels the same, so you kill yourselves, together, and join each other in death.

Suicide cannot be sinful, but it certainly can be unnecessary, at times.

A

Aquariamethystea

You don't have to reply to it, BP..
It's your opinion that suicide isn't a sin, to others, as can be seen - that obviously isn't the case.

There's no reason to close this thread at all, at the moment.

Eh, I'm not saying it should be closed, since there isn't any fighting here. It's just my opinion of what I'd ask for, had I created the thread. I would like it if people, in general, realize that if God is all-loving and just, that God would not send a person to hell because they suicided. Please nobody blame me for being harsh on Christianity, which I admit that at times, I am, though, it's because I dealt with my hypocritical Christian father for several years. He would shout at me, cursing, and threatening me with the fear of God. It is horrible to have to hear a close family member tell you that God is going to send you to hell to burn for eternity because of issues such as not cleaning your room to his satisfaction, or not eating all of dinner. Minor things which would be turned into damnable sins by him as "disobedience of parents", which my father made into being an abominable sin.

Suicide is not the worst thing in the world. It is not something God will have someone tortured by flames forever for. A loving, forgiving God would not do something like that to a person who suicided after having lived a miserable existence here in this world. Also imagine there is an elderly person who was very loving and supportive of their family, helped people in need, went to church, etc. A person who could have been the most wonderful Christ-filled, Jesus-faithful person in the world. Then suddenly, symptoms of ALS, Alzheimer's, diabetes, dementia, etc. begin to appear. Over time, the symptoms worsen and the person's quality of life diminshes to the point which causes them not to want to remain alive in this world. So, the person and/or the person's family researches peaceful suicide methods, contacts a right-to-die organization, then the suicide occurs. Not a truely decent person in the world could justify an ethical and moral reason for God to send the suicidal elderly person to hell for eternity.

No phrase, scripture, nor verse from a book which is suppose to be written by people who have been directed by a loving, forgiving, and perfect God, can justify the immoral, irrational, and unethical religious belief which involve a cruel, unmerciful God sending suicidal people to hell for eternity.

Last edited:

grei

I've been having a lot of trouble with my own opinion on this for years, now.

I was raised a Christian (baptist), but not very strictly. In fact I haven't gone to church since I was about 7 (a solid decade). The idea that killing myself might make me automatically "ineligible" to go to heaven was the main thing keeping me from suicide.

Now that my "beliefs" are becoming much more influenced by my own thoughts, ideas, and experiences, I don't see how suicide could be considered a sin by the kind of God that I would choose to believe in, if I believed in a God.

My little-kid "beliefs" are still with me to some extent, and so I'm still not completely comfortable with the idea that suicide isn't a sin, but that's where I'm leaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00