• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

Jim’s aged, fermented, cured Friday Dec 11 2020 Café

Status
Not open for further replies.

extraterrestrialone

untwisting the pretzel
SF Supporter
good morning everyone! and wishing you all lots of 🌞🌞🌞. today i’m thinking about delicious aged fermented cured and the like foods that are so tempting. some is great for dinner, some for lunch and some for snacks and some even for breakfast. here are just a few for starters.

C34B57F2-4585-4383-888E-23D455823EC5.jpeg
F21EA765-09DC-4B46-9CCB-1D45755F0EF0.jpeg
CC9C7B9B-49C3-4A20-837E-1E196A29EE1B.jpeg
then there’s steak or kimchee or so many things. whats your favorite? can you show us some pictures? stories? yum!

some is great with beer or wine or coffee - hey this stuff is aged too...

Last edited:

Baywasp

I want wind to blow
SF Supporter
My favorite Korean restaurant downtown has great cucumber kimchi. It kinda tastes like sweet pickles with a bit of spice to it. It's my favorite of their side dishes. Unfortunately their meals only come with a choice of one side dish, which doesn't seem typical for Korean places, but the cucumbers are my most common choice when they're available. Otherwise I'll usually get one of the daikon sides. Sometimes they give me a second side for free.

Those pictures look good @extraterrestrialone
I've always been a pickle fan, I love me some aged cheese, and I might have had natto once. I think I remember ordering it from an onigiri place in San Francisco, but I don't remember much about what it was like, and I feel like from what I've heard about it, it would have stuck out to me a little bit more, so maybe I chickened out and didn't actually order it or maybe they gave me the wrong thing or something. IDK

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer
SF Supporter
Hmmmmm.... Is that a pic of Nato? I hear its very strong smelling and sour... Some like it, some don't. Have you had it before @extraterrestrialone ? Thanks for the tag ^-^ *hug. I can't knock anything until I've tried it... It looks intimidating though I'll be honest. lol 🤣

Fermented foods/probiotics are my friend since I've got IBS and acid reflux. I like Keffir and Sourkraut too... Pickles are great with a sandwich for lunch at work. Favorite cheese is swiss! 🧀🧀

extraterrestrialone

untwisting the pretzel
SF Supporter
Hmmmmm.... Is that a pic of Nato? I hear its very strong smelling and sour... Some like it, some don't. Have you had it before @extraterrestrialone ? Thanks for the tag ^-^ *hug. I can't knock anything until I've tried it... It looks intimidating though I'll be honest. lol 🤣

Fermented foods/probiotics are my friend since I've got IBS and acid reflux. I like Keffir and Sourkraut too... Pickles are great with a sandwich for lunch at work. Favorite cheese is swiss! 🧀🧀
From what I hear natto is good probiotic-wise too. It is quite aromatic but many really great cheeses are too. But natto somehow is a bit out of the realm of the western palate maybe by it's intimidating sliminess. Yet I came to love it pretty much immediately!

It's not sour. It's actually quite bland considering that its aroma might make you think otherwise and much of the enjoyment happens once you add things that work well with it. Soy sauce, bonito flakes, scallions, finely chopped fresh kale to name a few.

extraterrestrialone

untwisting the pretzel
SF Supporter
I had to go out for a walk to have a session with my therapist and I'm still out but I chanced upon a wooly bear caterpillar in the middle of the road and even though this quite a bit not fermented, it was still worth a shot... IMG_20201211_143439.jpg
Then I moved him/her off the road since they're not really harmful to plants and wished it a safe journey. IMG_20201211_144530.jpg
I'll be home later to get back to the aged stuff 😊🌞

JMG

~ Crazy Cat Lady ~
Tysm for the tags @extraterrestrialone & @foreverforgotten :) I will add some tags also: @Kiwi2016 @Nick @Road to Nowhere @KM76710 @Were all together @Bergerac @JDot @RCee (can't do more than this in the post or it won't send them)

I like lots of diff. kinds of cheese it's yummy. Not sure what else to say really, feeling kinda uneasy today, think I'm just worrying too much about some things but trying to relax anyway.
I found these creative food art pix that I think are cool so here they are then.

cheesehousesmaller.png
f8943df26e460566e083327926476c61-1024x768.png
(Pizza art lol) :p ;) :)

Witty⭐️Sarcasm ⭐️

Renegade banshee
SF Supporter
I had to go out for a walk to have a session with my therapist and I'm still out but I chanced upon a wooly bear caterpillar in the middle of the road and even though this quite a bit not fermented, it was still worth a shot... View attachment 41051
Then I moved him/her off the road since they're not really harmful to plants and wished it a safe journey. View attachment 41052
I'll be home later to get back to the aged stuff 😊🌞
OK I think this is the cutest post I have seen here so far.
I'm up for trying fermented foods and new foods in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$185.00
Goal
$255.00