Jim's Café, Friday, July 13, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomboy

Nerd, 1*, Asia
Guten Morgen.

How's everyone doing today?

[ SPOILER ALERT ]

I watched The Dark Knight Rises my bestfriend yesterday. For those of you who haven't seen it, it's a sequel to Batman begins, and The Dark Knight.

In the story, the protagonist, Bane, holds Gotham hostage with the threat of a nuclear bomb. His purpose was to blow the city up anyway, but he wanted to give the residents a false sense of hope, because he thought that would hurt alot more.

When you hope for something, what do you tell your mind when it asks if what you're hoping for isn't realistic?

Would you give up hope if it was indeed unrealistic?

Why or why not?

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
Hmmmm that's a tough one @Tomboy

I suppose it really depends on my mood at that point. When I'm in a fairly stable patch I tell my I tell my mind to fuck off and stop being so negative. When I'm feeling manic my mind gives in and lets me believe that anything is possible and when I'm in a dark place I agree with my mind that it's not even realistic to carry on breathing.

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
it is friday the thirteenth. they say that is supposed to be an unlucky day. to me it always is my lucky day. i have figureed that the reason for that is because the friday the thirteenths are like those vending machines in arcades and such where you put the money in and it has this big grabber that dumps something your way and theyre all uspposed to be good but there’s some really nice thing you want but don’t get and for the friday the thirteenths it just goes th other way where what it dishes out is something real bad instead. but that well you probably guessed it that my life has so much bad sent my way that what the machine dishes out turns out to be a lot better than what i have been getting ususally (or good not getting) so so if it dumps out a pile of shit i say yay its going to be a good day, i don’t need to hope for anything. but i suppose i could hope for disappointment. the powers that be would then be tricked into thinking that disappointment is good and then not give it to me. now that seems real realistic. that i could outsmart the powers that be. oh yeah, good morning everyone. i hope today wil be a better day than last night a night or the whole day yesterday the day it was. see it ends up turning out that i don’t have th common sense or whatever it requires to be realistic at all. i still need sleep. but this is my bad time of day and i’m not being bad so hijacker is a bit pissed.

Last edited:

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
yeah i did get tagged and i forgot to say thanks. so @AsphyxiateOnWords thanks for the tag. i was kind of wrapped up in my dysphoria. and i want to say that i have been thinking for quite a while now that i should open Jim’s one of these days but you know what has been holding me back? i absolutely knwo that if i try, i will have a really great idea and proceed only to find that someone else beat me to it. and everyone will jump on me for being so uncool as to interrupt someoen that way. Or, that i will do it and no one will respond. all day no one will respond. so am i crazy or what!? self absorbed anyway.

Guten Morgen.

How's everyone doing today?

[ SPOILER ALERT ]

I watched The Dark Knight Rises my bestfriend yesterday. For those of you who haven't seen it, it's a sequel to Batman begins, and The Dark Knight.

In the story, the protagonist, Bane, holds Gotham hostage with the threat of a nuclear bomb. His purpose was to blow the city up anyway, but he wanted to give the residents a false sense of hope, because he thought that would hurt alot more.

When you hope for something, what do you tell your mind when it asks if what you're hoping for isn't realistic?

Why or why not?
No I don't think I'd give up hope in most cases, I like to think pretty much anything is possible. Sometimes you just need lots of determination and bravery to make it happen.

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro

Why or why not?
A great question... As one who is currently living with hope that through re-training (eg taking classes) that I can have a second career I live with hope every day that I can make this an actual reality. So I tell myself that though it is challenging and I am much older than the other students that I do have the intellectual capacity to make this a reality and that I just have to work hard to make it happen. At 55 it does often seem unrealistic but then I think that I have to put the past in the past (being "retired" from job of 17 years) and look only forward. As I can't change the past only the future and so I have to expend my energy on working towards this future goal of having another career despite my inner doubts as to do otherwise would mean that I have indeed failed and more importantly that deep inner spark of hope wont let me do that if that makes any sense.

Wishing all a great Friday.

tagging @Angel368 @charley spring @Karmitkurmit @A guy with feelings @LonelyHiker @mpk @may71 @dugga @Kira

Rockclimbinggirl

SF climber
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Thanks for the tag.

No, I do not give up hope. Anything is possible. When I first start using SF regularly, I did not think I would be able to get myself to stop self harming. Thru therapy and a lot of work, I have not done it for a few months.

I think that depression and anxiety can play a part in telling us that what we are hoping for is not realistic. And the thoughts that go along with depressiom such as "I wont be happy, I am worthless, nothing will get better". In the moment it may seem that way. But things can change and get better.

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
i just want to add that since i posted on todays cafe, i have must have said “hope” a thousnd times. even if for no other reason, it is so great that being aware of the word “hope” happened. thanks.

Stijn

Innerceptor
I'd rather hope for something realistic to happen then hope for something unrealistic. But then again, like someone said before, anything is possible!

What is realistic and what isn't? Depends on who you ask the question.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited

I don't hope for unrealistic things. Everything I hope for is very realistic and very short term, moment to moment. Like I'll hope I have a nice day at work, or that the store on the way home has Cherry Pepsi Max in stock, or that when I get to my building I don't have to share the elevator with someone and endure one of those unbearable elevator silences:eek:

gypsylee

SF Supporter

Why or why not?
I tell my mind to shut the f*** up ;)

I’m actually too jaded to hope for unrealistic things. I don’t really hope for anything much now I think about it.. I do have goals though. Are goals realistic hopes?

This is why I have to go listen to music haha. STFU mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00