• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Musings, ideas, what are you thinking about?

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
If you're opposite on absolutely every aspect of your life, personality, values... I don't even think you can have friends like that. haha Something has to be similar, and I think a LOT. But if a few aspects are different and complementary, as GFS said, sure.

In my mind I don't see opposites as two sides of a magnet. Opposites would be a magnet and a carrot. *bleh
With friends, I think you're right. Probably not. I was thinking he meant more romantic relationships.
 

Auri

🎸🎶Metal Star🎵🥁
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
With friends, I think you're right. Probably not. I was thinking he meant more romantic relationships.
Yes, but I don’t see how that can be either ^^ they must have something in common, a character trait, an interest, a life experience... similar values, very often.
I could see them attracting to some point, but I don’t believe it can last if you’ve got nothing to talk about lol
 

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
Yes, but I don’t see how that can be either ^^ they must have something in common, a character trait, an interest, a life experience... similar values, very often.
I could see them attracting to some point, but I don’t believe it can last if you’ve got nothing to talk about lol
Hmm. Well, I don't know. @Walker did you mean polar opposites, like nothing in common at all? Honestly, I'm not sure that's even possible. People probably always have at least one thing in common. A common goal, loss of a loved one, etc.

But generally speaking, my husband and I are opposites. He's outgoing, social, charismatic, not sensitive whatsoever, a risk taker, etc. And I'm introverted, emotional, antisocial, and afraid of everything. But we do have some morals and viewpoints in common as well as sense of humor. He's a narcissist and I'm Borderline. That's about as opposite as you can get. But the two are commonly attracted to each other.
 

Auri

🎸🎶Metal Star🎵🥁
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
What you say makes sense, @Aurelia That's probably in line with that I'm thinking about.
Yes, I perfectly understand what you both meant with this question *bleh My comment wasn't a very serious or well-thought answer, I wanted to provide another interpretation of the word "opposites", using my eternal annoying perfectionistic method to assess problems (a very scientific one, if you wish). But I know that is not what Walker meant :D I just didn't have anything to add to the conversation if I interpreted it the same way as everyone else. So sorry if you thought I took it so seriously :D

Hmm. Well, I don't know. @Walker did you mean polar opposites, like nothing in common at all? Honestly, I'm not sure that's even possible. People probably always have at least one thing in common. A common goal, loss of a loved one, etc.

But generally speaking, my husband and I are opposites. He's outgoing, social, charismatic, not sensitive whatsoever, a risk taker, etc. And I'm introverted, emotional, antisocial, and afraid of everything. But we do have some morals and viewpoints in common as well as sense of humor. He's a narcissist and I'm Borderline. That's about as opposite as you can get. But the two are commonly attracted to each other.
Also, opposites go well together because the other person ends up having what you lack personality wise. And that can create balance.
As I said, the way @GFS put it was pretty much my answer to the real question. Complementary opposites attract indeed (what you said about filling the other's lacks personality wise! That's it.), but there are plenty of other opposites that don't attract at all. I know, @Aurelia , that you see the differences in personality between you and your husband, and I totally see it - which is by the way a reason that made me pretty certain that you would react to my answer *bleh Yes, you have those "opposite" character traits. However, I could probably find as much similarities between you two, or if I rephrased some of your ideas using other words, you would see it would turn your opposites into similarities, or reveal why they can be considered both similarities or opposites. It's all a matter of vocabulary and perspective. Humans tend to notice the differences rather than the similarities in things.

I don't want to debate if you and your husband are opposite or similar because honestly, I agree with you and... it has no purpose lol. I'll just give you another point of view. One could say : you both have been through traumatic experiences that lead you to suffer from several mental illnesses, contrary to most people. You both have personalities that are considered "disorders" by society, as opposed to the personality that is not defined as such. You both have a very unique view on love, partnership and staying together, as opposed to a vast majority of people. You both were/are addicted (?) and I think to similar things, a lot of people never were. Then there is morals, humor... that you mentioned. And a million other things.
Saying narcissists are opposite to borderlines is also debatable (by me, I know, only by me *bleh), but no worries, I totally get what you mean and don't even want to start on this :p
From my personal point of view, I will also tend to see how you and your husband are similar, because I personally don't know a lot of people who are as "unique" as you two (in your similarities, you are both unique independently as well). Too bad, but I don't know people "like you". :(

So what I'm attempting to say is : I can totally see why you two attract each other, because of the similarities in your "opposites". Or something like that :wow: And it could be discussed further and further... What is a difference, what is a similarity... ? OMG I'm going crazy, I think.

I often tend to analyze things from other points of view than the dominant one, as you probably might have noticed a thousand times *hysterical I cannot seem to stop at the most obviousone :rolleyes: Talk about overthinking...

I hope this is not offending you by any means, I'm just philosophizing a bit, and I took your couple as an example because you did too, but nothing I said was meant in a bad or harmful way. ;)

My brain is off for today. *bounce
 

Auri

🎸🎶Metal Star🎵🥁
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Hmm. Well, I don't know. @Walker did you mean polar opposites, like nothing in common at all? Honestly, I'm not sure that's even possible. People probably always have at least one thing in common. A common goal, loss of a loved one, etc.

But generally speaking, my husband and I are opposites. He's outgoing, social, charismatic, not sensitive whatsoever, a risk taker, etc. And I'm introverted, emotional, antisocial, and afraid of everything. But we do have some morals and viewpoints in common as well as sense of humor. He's a narcissist and I'm Borderline. That's about as opposite as you can get. But the two are commonly attracted to each other.
Tiny addition : as everyone has always at least one thing in common, everyone has also always at least one thing opposite to each other. So in this "perfect" and extreme point of view, nor opposites attract each other, nor similarities do.
 

Auri

🎸🎶Metal Star🎵🥁
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Please don't make me think anymore *hysterical Coincidentally I had the most mentally exhausting day, I don't even know how I managed to write all this, but glad I did!
 

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
Yes, I perfectly understand what you both meant with this question *bleh My comment wasn't a very serious or well-thought answer, I wanted to provide another interpretation of the word "opposites", using my eternal annoying perfectionistic method to assess problems (a very scientific one, if you wish). But I know that is not what Walker meant :D I just didn't have anything to add to the conversation if I interpreted it the same way as everyone else. So sorry if you thought I took it so seriously :D




As I said, the way @GFS put it was pretty much my answer to the real question. Complementary opposites attract indeed (what you said about filling the other's lacks personality wise! That's it.), but there are plenty of other opposites that don't attract at all. I know, @Aurelia , that you see the differences in personality between you and your husband, and I totally see it - which is by the way a reason that made me pretty certain that you would react to my answer *bleh Yes, you have those "opposite" character traits. However, I could probably find as much similarities between you two, or if I rephrased some of your ideas using other words, you would see it would turn your opposites into similarities, or reveal why they can be considered both similarities or opposites. It's all a matter of vocabulary and perspective. Humans tend to notice the differences rather than the similarities in things.

I don't want to debate if you and your husband are opposite or similar because honestly, I agree with you and... it has no purpose lol. I'll just give you another point of view. One could say : you both have been through traumatic experiences that lead you to suffer from several mental illnesses, contrary to most people. You both have personalities that are considered "disorders" by society, as opposed to the personality that is not defined as such. You both have a very unique view on love, partnership and staying together, as opposed to a vast majority of people. You both were/are addicted (?) and I think to similar things, a lot of people never were. Then there is morals, humor... that you mentioned. And a million other things.
Saying narcissists are opposite to borderlines is also debatable (by me, I know, only by me *bleh), but no worries, I totally get what you mean and don't even want to start on this :p
From my personal point of view, I will also tend to see how you and your husband are similar, because I personally don't know a lot of people who are as "unique" as you two (in your similarities, you are both unique independently as well). Too bad, but I don't know people "like you". :(

So what I'm attempting to say is : I can totally see why you two attract each other, because of the similarities in your "opposites". Or something like that :wow: And it could be discussed further and further... What is a difference, what is a similarity... ? OMG I'm going crazy, I think.

I often tend to analyze things from other points of view than the dominant one, as you probably might have noticed a thousand times *hysterical I cannot seem to stop at the most obviousone :rolleyes: Talk about overthinking...

I hope this is not offending you by any means, I'm just philosophizing a bit, and I took your couple as an example because you did too, but nothing I said was meant in a bad or harmful way. ;)

My brain is off for today. *bounce
Lol. I completely agree with you here. I was just thinking along different lines. Ha. Imagine that. Someone was being more analytical than me for once!
 

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
My religious family is in the same room as my satanic literature. Thankfully, the books are overhead and their spines are facing the back of the shelf.

“Oh, what’s this—”
You shouldn't have to hide who you are. My family isn't like crazy religious, but they did believe in god, and let me tell you, the look on my mother's face when she saw the huge upside down cross in my room when I was 15 years old...priceless.
 
You shouldn't have to hide who you are. My family isn't like crazy religious, but they did believe in god, and let me tell you, the look on my mother's face when she saw the huge upside down cross in my room when I was 15 years old...priceless.
My immediate family isn’t religious, but we have familial, religious guests sleeping in my room. My mother, however irreligious, is still close-minded in her preconceptions regarding Satanism despite my many attempts to reason with her. Having used my mother as an example, even though she’s in a league of her own, I’d rather not have that kind of attention from people I hardly know. I shouldn’t have to hide, but I primarily do it for sport anyway.
 

Innocent Forever

🐒🥜🍌
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Rain, rain, go away. Don't come back another day. I miss the blue skies and then sun which whenever I'd look at would just make me smile (I mean smile at heart). I miss the gorgeous weather we had!
 

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
This is going to sound a bit odd because it is. I'm thinking about how weird it is that I'm stuck in this particular body at this particular time. Like, what would I be if I wasn't? And what significance does that put on the word "I", the individual? I swear I'm not high.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top