• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Musings, ideas, what are you thinking about?

Windhover

meandering home
SF Supporter
I think I'm a funny person (not exactly distinguished).

But in my case, I feel like depression really seeps out of me. I wonder if it is possible for average people to know if someone is depressive in a unconscious way.
It's possible, because the stress hormone cortisol which circulates when we're depressed or anxious likely has aa scent, strangely enough to say. It might be that people you meet in real life note it in an unconscious way.
 

AvidFan

Retired Cat Staff
SF Supporter
It's possible, because the stress hormone cortisol which circulates when we're depressed or anxious likely has aa scent, strangely enough to say. It might be that people you meet in real life note it in an unconscious way.
In fact, dogs can smell cortisol and other volatile secretions humans produce - so likely they can smell stress, depression, and have also been shown to sniff out the olfactory signature of a range of diseases from Parkinson's to cancer. Maybe on some unconscious level humans pick up these scents too!
 
it hits hard whenever i see pet owners post about the passing of their cat due to ckd.
The pain of the both of you knowing that your time together is coming to an end.
You know your cat wanted to live and stay with you.
Ever since she got diagnosed I prayed every day asking to shave years off of my life so hers can be extended, so we can spend more time together.

The moment I told my cat it’s okay, she can go, that is when she died. I wonder if it was me who was too selfish trying to keep her around while she was in pain, she never left my side even though she was sick… and my cat’s urn is shaped like a cat, i was cradling her like I used to. It’s been almost a month when she left.
 

Windhover

meandering home
SF Supporter
Me as well @Fbr27. That's probably part of the depression for me. I've been isolated for a while - humans literally need support, others, community of some sort in real life. I just finished a book which puts a logical and well researched bunch of ideas as to how to feel better, how to heal. Most of it is beyond my reach, so no solution just yet.
 

JanisSPK

Well-Known Member
it hits hard whenever i see pet owners post about the passing of their cat due to ckd.
The pain of the both of you knowing that your time together is coming to an end.
You know your cat wanted to live and stay with you.
Ever since she got diagnosed I prayed every day asking to shave years off of my life so hers can be extended, so we can spend more time together.

The moment I told my cat it’s okay, she can go, that is when she died. I wonder if it was me who was too selfish trying to keep her around while she was in pain, she never left my side even though she was sick… and my cat’s urn is shaped like a cat, i was cradling her like I used to. It’s been almost a month when she left.
@Shelly .....my thoughts are with you. I'm still grieving my 2 dogs loss last year, the tears come up unbidden at times. I told them they could leave too, it was past their time having so many discomforts and issues. May she be in a pain free space continuing to watch down over you.
 

Fbr27

a ghoul keeper
I heard this history of an older lady on Tiktok talking about their intelectually disabled parents and her childhood trauma because of all the abuse that happened around it.

She talked about being in school and having anxiety about somebody hurting her mother while she was in class.

I had the exact same thing when I was a kid, and sometimes I would cry for no apparent reason because I was literally imagining my mom being brutally murdered by my father or some random guy.

It only happened when I was a kid, so I don't know if it really damaged me mentally or something. It is just those things that I never realized that other kids might have had too.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$15.00
Goal
$255.00
Top