Weirdly I just came here to say the same thing but in the UK (it has been here for quite some time). I have had an awful night with terrible pain and anxiety, at one point I had packed a bag and was going to call an ambulance, but eventually fell asleep. I though it would be wise to get a routine appointment with my doctor to check this out, as something still feels not quite right, but I went on my practice website and it's the usual crap - you can only book an urgent appointment at 8am. So if you're dying at 10am you either have to wait 22 hours or die or waste emergency room time or go and sit in the walk-in centre for 12 hours (that was just to get some antibiotics). All of them will say you should contact them if you have symptoms x, y and z, then when you get there they'll treat you like you're wasting their time (after you've waited 4-5 hours in pain or bleeding out, as has been my experience!) I slept through 8am because I don't have a normal schedule. I noticed on their website it says you can book an appointment online, so I thought Ok, I'll book something in then I can get on with things. I went through the process of linking my GP practice to my NHS account and then got all these wonderful tools like message your GP and book appointments. I went to book an appointment and it said "This feature is not available at your GP practice." Same with the message GP. Get into the fucking 21st century? As a result I'll probably not bother getting medical care unless it becomes life threatening. The other option is calling after 12pm to book an appointment, which will usually be in "at least a month as we're busy". And they still have a huge banner on their building saying "We accept new patients". All about money, they can't deal with the ones they've got. Good luck with anything serious, for anything moderately serious it's either die or go to A&E, or get fobbed off at A&E, or wait for hours and get sent home, no wonder people go to A&E with the most minor things. When I was bleeding out there was someone there saying he'd sprained his shoulder, FFS.
In the last 8 years there have been 3 occasions where I have been badly let down by medics. When I almost cut my finger off falling on a glass I was bleeding out in my kitchen during lockdown and when I dialled 999 (as suggested by their 111 service) they called me back and told me to get a taxi and had me in tears as I was covered in blood and one handed and they expected me to put a mask on and sort things like cash for taxis. When they did sort it their examination was sub par and resulted in them leaving the nerve flopping around inside so I now have constant pain in the finger and have to live with it or wait years for specialist surgery. When I had a UTI they consistently failed to treat it and I had to get dark market antibiotics to properly treat it myself. When I had an issue with something else they kept me waiting for months and I sorted it out before they could give me an appointment. I got a slot 2 weeks after I'd sorted it out myself with help from internet forums. It used to be better, but I have plenty of medical trauma, from screaming my head off for my mother when I was 3 years old while being rolled into an operating theatre and being told "you can't have your mummy" by the surgeon, to being admitted to hospital for surgery when i was in my 20s and only being told about the complications from the surgery on the morning of the operation ("Your face might be permanently paralysed" - Why are you getting so uppity and stressed, this is to help you.....
This is why I won't ask for medical help unless it is an absolute emergency or seriously concerning. Last night I had severe abdominal pains, it felt like trapped wind at first, but got worse and worse to the point I was doubled up in agony and I was concerned it was a trapped gallstone. At some point I managed to go to sleep as it went off a bit and is not so severe today (plus has moved to lower in my body which suggests my initial thoughts). But having done the dentist yesterday morning I'm now 48 hours without sleep and not really feeling up to fighting to get to see a GP for 10 minutes.... If it comes back I may look at one of these private services but there's not much they can really do without tests so it would cost a fortune, but that's the way it is - people either die, do without (many perform their own dentistry in the UK, the world's 5th richest country, or at least it was!), or hopefully get better on their own or have to pay over the odds to get prompt help.
/RANT