• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Pretty sure I had a stroke or TIA today

LumberJack

Huggy Bear 🐻 u r warned!
SF Supporter
#45
I really don't want to go to the hospital if it's not necessary, so I'm looking for some honest feedback. Am I taking a ... potentially dangerous risk by staying home, given my history (I've had 3 TIAs)?
sorry I'm late to this thread. More importantly I'm sorry about all that you are going thru and one after another.

I get you on not wanting to be in hospital. In my case, I would prefer not to go there even if it was necessary, so you might be taking a dangerous risk by getting medical input on the internet. tbf I have gotten good advice from chatbots like chatGPT or competitors. Once. Just once, and even a broken clock is right twice a day. I have also pulled down some scary batshit quack ideas and it doesn't seem the LLMs can separate the noise from signal.
 
Last edited:

LumberJack

Huggy Bear 🐻 u r warned!
SF Supporter
#46
Another patient in my room had a medical episode and I am very upset. It was very distressing to see that. I think I still am a bit of a borderline. That poor old man.
I don't think it is disordered to be upset with a truly upsetting situation. It would, IMHO be more disordered to just be fine with it. Humans are naturally imbued with empathy, and it seems like you still have yours. But re: hospitals being a PITA - that's one of the big reasons in my book.
 

Pebble mouse

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
SF Pro
SF Supporter
#47
It's understerstandable you're overwhelmed with it @Pebble mouse. I think I'd be frozen with fear and worry. Did the doctors give you any information &/or assurance?

How is the eye doing now?

Sending healing thoughts and love over there.
I have been referred to the TIA clinic at the hospital again. I know why it's happening; I have atrial fibrillation. Basically, my heart isn't functioning properly. My father has the same condition. I will be seeing a cardiologist soon, too.

My eye is still blurry. I'm hoping it's not permanent.

Thanks for your concern, @Windhover.
 

Pebble mouse

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
SF Pro
SF Supporter
#49
Very sad to hear of you having another one and the complications that accompany.
Yeah, I can't believe the run of things I've had. My pneumonia is back too. I had some IV antibiotics on the weekend and am now on oral antibiotics. It's one thing after another. My eye is the main thing bothering me. Not much I can do except keep going forward.

Thanks @KM76710.
 

Pebble mouse

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
SF Pro
SF Supporter
#51
I get you on not wanting to be in hospital. In my case, I would prefer not to go there even if it was necessary, so you might be taking a dangerous risk by getting medical input on the internet. tbf I have gotten good advice from chatbots like chatGPT or competitors. Once. Just once, and even a broken clock is right twice a day. I have also pulled down some scary batshit quack ideas and it doesn't seem the LLMs can separate the noise from signal.
Yeah, I'm not relying on Gemini or ChatGPT for medical advice anymore. They hallucinate constantly. I can relate :D

The risk of me having a full-blown stroke is high right now. I am frightened, to put it mildly.
 
Last edited:

LumberJack

Huggy Bear 🐻 u r warned!
SF Supporter
#54
The risk of me having a full-blown stroke is high right now. I am frightened, to put it mildly.
This is something that would be frightening to anyone. Is there anything that could lower the risk, e.g., floating in water or, heck doing a handstand while sing the words to America the Beautiful backwards? I’m sure these are pathetic ideas but I truly wish there was something that you could do that would give you a sense of at least partial control. I’m guessing that your medical team would have thrown any pills at you if they thought it would be worthwhile.

I know… let’s go ask Claude, lol *hiding
i keed i keed, 🤪😵‍💫
 

Pebble mouse

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
SF Pro
SF Supporter
#55
This is something that would be frightening to anyone. Is there anything that could lower the risk, e.g., floating in water or, heck doing a handstand while sing the words to America the Beautiful backwards? I’m sure these are pathetic ideas but I truly wish there was something that you could do that would give you a sense of at least partial control. I’m guessing that your medical team would have thrown any pills at you if they thought it would be worthwhile.
I'm on two blood thinners and an anti-cholesterol drug. Another thing that would help is losing weight and getting into shape, but working on that atm is hard because of the pneumonia. I have no energy to do anything. I'm not obese (according to my BMI, I'm in the overweight range), but I do need to lose weight.
 

Windhover

meandering home
SF Supporter
#58
You're welcome @Pebble mouse, anytime you are writing - I'm listening/reading.

It's a lot all at once going on. :/

I hope the pneumonia clars off and the doctors can address your atrial fibrillation. It runs through my side of this family too. I hope yours can be healed and they get you all patched up so you could get some easing of worry and fear as soon as possible. Then you can have fun working out and going for walks again. I look forward to that, and pics of new Sydney exporations.

(h)
 
#59
Thanks @FlamingoWrangler. I am trying to keep as positive as possible, and am just taking things a day at a time.. At least I know why it's happening. The TIA clinic can help me. I might need a pacemaker.
Pacers are helpful. I hope you can find the right dr to help you manage this. Did your dad need a pacer too?
It’s a busy week for AFib- you, my niece had an ablation, brother started nitroglycerin, beta blocker & anticoagulant, and my friend with a pacer/defib was in afib for a few weeks- even with the hardware installed!
the moral of the story is, with treatment they are living well.
and I expect the same of you! 😁
 

cymbele

SF Supporter
#60
I have a pacer put in 2 years ago. Not that I wanted one but I have cardiac block. No reason for the cardiac block. I was 64 yo and they considered me too young but they couldn't deny that I needed the pacer. So 8 years until they have to replace it -not looking forward to that but I have to be realistic. I have returned to being well and back to exercising.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$255.00
Top