Purpose of preserving lives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azul

And Derrida noted that Plato, in his criticism of writing as being "further from the Ideal Form" than speech, nevertheless had to use methaphors of writing to formulate this criticism, when he stated that speech "was written in the soul of the listener" for example.

B

Bostonensis

And Derrida noted that Plato, in his criticism of writing as being "further from the Ideal Form" than speech, nevertheless had to use methaphors of writing to formulate this criticism, when he stated that speech "was written in the soul of the listener" for example.
The teacher will come when the learner is ready. One article I read on this topic is the recipe of power & control ,knowledge. Again the church predertermined who will acquire the knowledge,how much knowledge should be allowed to be disseminated. Acquisition, administration & dissemination of knowledge. The Guardians . To control the mind of the majority. All religions has the same settings.

Any emotional state is a choice, including depression. However, these choices are usually made beneath the conscious level, so humans tend to believe that these are not choices.
What an assinine statement. What about the mother who grieves because her child was killed by a drunk driver. Where's the choice? What about someone who is depressed because they were born without arms? Where's the choice? Or the PTSD suffered by the victim of a random, violent crime? To say that all emotional states are choices is a grotesque over-simplification. And if a choice is "beneath the conscious level", as you suggest, then how is it a choice at all? A choice, by definition, is a conscious act, so when you speak of unconscious choice you utter nonsense.

Anonymous2

I was wondering, why is it that you believe these lives to be important enough to actually put effort into trying to preserve them?
I have an innate concern for others…And yes, it does makes me happy to help others. If that make me bad because I’ve committed an act that is not purely altruistic…Oh well. I wouldn’t want it any other way. I don’t think I would have a desire to help other if I didn’t also receive some pleasure.

The truth is, no act is purely altruistic. Even if a man chooses to be torture to death to protect the life of an innocent child he has never met and never will meet (since he is tortured to death), he would still receive some pleasure in knowing he was able to withstand a tremendous amount of pain to protect the innocent…And it wouldn’t matter whether he is religious or not.

The idea that religion= good, just, honest, saintly….and atheism= bad, dishonest, sinful, evil is Bull Sh*t. Being religious does not make one a better person. Strict church dogma may contradict this but I don’t believe in strict church dogma nor do many other people who practice religion. If not following strict church dogma makes me unfaithful, Fu*k it…..Only God can judge me. I really don’t care what some people (regardless of their position in the church) think about me. Personally, I don’t believe in the Divinity of a man or the Divinity of everything men have written (For example, the Bible). Don’t’ here me wrong, I like to read the Bible, believe much of what I read, and think there are some great concepts and ideologies; however, I do not blindly accept everything I read nor do I interpret everything literally.

Anonymous2

White Dove, I didn’t read all of your post in their entirety; however, I think I got the gist of what you have been saying; as a result, I feel inclined to respond. You really should not have to feel the way you are. I think the only way you can feel better is to become more liberal in your religious beliefs. Trying to accept every single dogmatic religious concept, without using reason or rational can, often, make salvation seem impossible.

Perhaps you should consider putting your faith in God rather than your minister. Ministers and other religious leader are often WRONG. Below are a few examples. Please remember, I’m, definitely, NOT implying that your minister is as bad as these religious leaders; however, I feel these extreme examples are a better means of conveying my point. Plus, the less extreme examples don’t make the news.

John Geoghan

http://www.boston.com/globe/spotlight/abuse/geoghan/

David Koresh
http://www.rickross.com/reference/waco/waco319.html

Jim Jones
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$165.00
Goal