Shangri-La Diet

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by aoeu, Dec 18, 2009.

1. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Okay, so, I'm not much for dieting in general... I try to eat less, not differently. This is sometimes hard when you have the appetite of a horse.

This diet is a curious anomaly. For one thing, there's real science behind it. For another, there's no long-term nutrition worries (like in Atkins, say). Finally, there's nothing you need to buy, possibly excepting the book (the basic information is freely available).

And finally, it makes no sense.

You eat empty calories to lose weight.

Basically, in prehistoric times we ate delicious foods when there was lots of food around; our appetites were extremely high so that we would eat as much as possible to store energy for famines. In famines, we ate whatever we could find that provided energy, generally not the tastiest food around. Further, we didn't feel excessively hungry because that would be unconstructive given the shortage of food around.

Nowadays that's not too relevant because we're ALWAYS surrounded by high calorie, good tasting, low cost foods (potatoes cost 30 cents per kilogram here, I saw tonight, and that's not "flavourless").

So, the goal in this diet is to convince your body there isn't good food to be had. You do so by consuming flavourless calories, NOT associated with flavour. You consume 2 tablespoons of plain vegetable oil or 4 tablespoons of plain white sugar, after having not tasted anything 60-120+ minutes before, and then you don't taste anything 60-120+ minutes after. You change nothing else in your diet, and eat as you desire outside of that.

Since the medication I started (epival) has stopped inducing indigestion I've had an extreme appetite, so I figured I'd try this out. I also thought I could share it here so that others can try it.

Unfortunately, the only proof I've seen in favour of this was data collected by the author himself... I'd like to see some independent studies. But until then, this is a cheap, safe, easy diet that just might work.

2. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Eating 20 grams of pure white sugar on an empty stomach is safe? Let me know how that goes for you.

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

It's not a problem, no. When I tried it with vegetable oil, though, that didn't end well :puke: (but Elizabeth reported having no problems with that.)

The weird thing is that I've discovered that the majority of my eating is -not- appetite based, but rather eating for the sake of eating.

4. Mikeintx

I am happy that the diet helps to get your eating under control, but eating pure cane sugar on an empty stomach is not too healthy for your body. At any given time the body contains about one tablespoon's worth of glucose in the 5 liter's of blood that flows through our veins. The load on the pancreas is going to be pretty high to shuttle all of that sugar into your cells. Some studies have shown that anytime blood sugar goes over 140mg/dl pancreatic beta cells(the cells in the pancreas that secrete insulin) start to die off and anything higher than that can cause nerve damage and a whole host of other issues. It doesn't take a whole lot of sugar to spike your blood sugar that high either.

If this diet helps you to control your eating that is awesome, but after you get things under control you may want to find an eating plan that is a little more balanced. :)

5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Noteably, it's not pure glucose... I regularly consume 100g quantities of popcorn, which has a GI of 85 (perhaps this is problematic too?); sucrose is about 60, and 4 tablespoons of table sugar is only 50g (and I dissolve it in a litre of water). This should be no worse in terms of pancreatic load than many meals, in fact - whole wheat has a similar GI. The author of the diet in question advises the use of fructose (not for pancreas concerns, though), which has a GI of 20 (but I do not have this on hand, and am as yet only experimenting).

Great, now I feel bad about eating popcorn and pasta and even toast!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2009
  6. Mikeintx

Aoeu have you ever tried a diet of eating primarily protein and fat with roughly 60-80 grams of complex carbs per day?

7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

No, there's no way I could be organized enough to do a proper diet. I can't even be sure I take my drugs every day. I try to focus on protein with all my cooking, but without intent I consume very little fat.

I'm out of actual food at the moment so I think I consumed mostly whole wheat pasta today... I have beans soaking for tomorrow, though!

8. Mikeintx

Oh okay aoeu, if you don't mind me asking is that for financial reasons or do you have trouble going out to shop?

9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

It's more to do with my cooking abilities (very limited, always) and inclinations (depends on the day). Come to think of it, I was planning to make a lentil thing last night but didn't get around to it. I have those around and the recipe I can make with them doesn't require anything more than lentils and spices. I'm going to make a large quantity of vegan chili tonight, though I do need extra supplies for those. I'd like to make butterless, chickenless butter chicken too but that's so terribly hit-or-miss, but I've only ever hit once, and I didn't record what I did to do that.

This has me wondering, though: where would a vegetarian get lots of fat? Everything I've eaten recently has been at most 2.5% fat.

10. Mikeintx

Ah okay, I didn't realize you were a vegan. I don't know much about a vegan lifestyle but: Avocados, olive oil, nuts of all kinds are pretty good choices for fat. Also flax seed is a great thing to supplement with along with fish oil. Are you able to eat any of that stuff?

11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Yeah, they don't tend to come up much, though. My dad sent me some Thai curry so I'll probably be getting some peanuts to go with it. Mostly I just focus on large quantities of protein (far more than I ever had on an omnivore diet), which I believe to be the goal of the high protein/fat diets (since fat is generally paired with protein in meat).

12. Mikeintx

Sounds good, i would just try to make sure you are getting in some type of omega 3 fats if you can. Take care.

13. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Hurray, finally found fructose (GI=20, the GL is less than a typical meal). The bulk store has everything!