• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Sleep Apnoea

nobodyknows71

For a Phoenix to rise, it must first burn.
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I think I may have sleep apnoea. I am a terrible snorer and my partner says I struggle to catch my breath sometimes and he thinks that at times I stop breathing. I’ve always been a bit of a snorer but apparently it’s getting worse.
so I’m just wondering if anyone here has any experience with this disorder? All comments welcome, thanks in advance

Walker

Admin-a-monkey
ADMIN
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
I was tested for this but it was at home and they did it with a pulse oximeter (that you stick on your finger, you know?) and I ripped it off after like 2 hours so the results were inconclusive. I think I'm just a fat fuck though.
You can get tested for it at home here, I don't know about there.
Clearly this reply has no point. LOL

nobodyknows71

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I was tested for this but it was at home and they did it with a pulse oximeter (that you stick on your finger, you know?) and I ripped it off after like 2 hours so the results were inconclusive. I think I'm just a fat fuck though.
You can get tested for it at home here, I don't know about there.
Clearly this reply has no point. LOL
I’d like to thank you for your input @Walker its an invaluable insight 🤣

WildCherry

Owner Emeritus
My dad has it, but unfortunately, he refuses to use the CPAP machine he has. It's terrifying to hear him snoring, because he stops breathing for so long we start to wonder if he'll start again. If you think you have it, please do the research into doing a sleep study. Hopefully wherever you are, you're able to complete it at home.

Innocent Forever

Still innocent!
SF Supporter
I think I may have sleep apnoea. I am a terrible snorer and my partner says I struggle to catch my breath sometimes and he thinks that at times I stop breathing. I’ve always been a bit of a snorer but apparently it’s getting worse.
so I’m just wondering if anyone here has any experience with this disorder? All comments welcome, thanks in advance
You can ask your GP. My friends husband has a CPAP. He couldn't drive until he'd sorted it out as he'd fall asleep anywhere and everywhere.

nobodyknows71

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Thanks for the input @Innocent Forever @WildCherry unfortunately getting a gp appointment at the moment is like panning for gold but it is definitely my intention to try and get a sleep study. I have no idea if I would be able to do it at home but that’s what I’m hoping for.
I don’t fall asleep everywhere and anywhere but I never feel like I have a decent nights sleep, but I partially put that down to others stuff. I’ll keep trying to get a GP appointment and take it from there. I’m not looking forward to trying a CPAP 😔

Innocent Forever

Still innocent!
SF Supporter
Thanks for the input @Innocent Forever @WildCherry unfortunately getting a gp appointment at the moment is like panning for gold but it is definitely my intention to try and get a sleep study. I have no idea if I would be able to do it at home but that’s what I’m hoping for.
I don’t fall asleep everywhere and anywhere but I never feel like I have a decent nights sleep, but I partially put that down to others stuff. I’ll keep trying to get a GP appointment and take it from there. I’m not looking forward to trying a CPAP 😔
Yeah, tell me about it.
Good luck... I hope it helps. There are other things that can cause sleep apnea if you look online. I know because I once was looking it up for myself.

Ash600

✮☆Meetup star ☆✮
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Hi @nobodyknows71
CPAP is not the only form of management for Sleep apnoea. There are other options but that depends on the severity and cause(s) of this condition. I believe there are some home tests available, but the validity of them may be somewhat questionable. So it looks like going through the torturous route and trying to bag an appointment at a sleep clinic through your GP.

There's a link here providing detailed information including treatment options which may be of use to you.

https://www.blf.org.uk/support-for-you/obstructive-sleep-apnoea-osa/diagnosis

cymbele

SF Supporter
I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine for at least two years now. The sleep study said i was borderline but since I had been in a car accident due to falling asleep they got me the machine through insurance (i still had to pay a little). I was so exhausted before the machine that I didn't have any trouble adapting to it. It felt WONDERFUL. I average 6 -7 hours/night but still need meds in the morning to keep me awake. But I don't snore anymore (from reports I was scary snoring). Any questions please post or inbox me.

nobodyknows71

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi @nobodyknows71
CPAP is not the only form of management for Sleep apnoea. There are other options but that depends on the severity and cause(s) of this condition. I believe there are some home tests available, but the validity of them may be somewhat questionable. So it looks like going through the torturous route and trying to bag an appointment at a sleep clinic through your GP.

There's a link here providing detailed information including treatment options which may be of use to you.

https://www.blf.org.uk/support-for-you/obstructive-sleep-apnoea-osa/diagnosis
Thanks Ash, that’s was a really helpful article. As much as they say there are different treatments available lots of websites only go in to details of CPAP. Oh well, off to the doctors I go

nobodyknows71

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine for at least two years now. The sleep study said i was borderline but since I had been in a car accident due to falling asleep they got me the machine through insurance (i still had to pay a little). I was so exhausted before the machine that I didn't have any trouble adapting to it. It felt WONDERFUL. I average 6 -7 hours/night but still need meds in the morning to keep me awake. But I don't snore anymore (from reports I was scary snoring). Any questions please post or inbox me.
Thanks, I’ll PM you

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Did sleep study due to neuro docs referral who specalized in this stuff after another neuro for my headaches and asked me if i had issue sleeping ofc and have been sleepwalking/sleepeating all of my life. Never assumed it was sleep apena as it was quickly labeled psycharistic issues 🙄They did the sleep study i stopped breathing avg of 15 times per hour or something like that. That was over 3 years ago and my cpap machine is collecting dust. I use it on and off. Its just so annoying to have anything on my head. The pillow I use its not a mask its fine, its the hose Im a sleeper who changes positions at least 10 times a night. Just so my muscles can stop complaining. They cramp up for some weird reason

nobodyknows71

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Did sleep study due to neuro docs referral who specalized in this stuff after another neuro for my headaches and asked me if i had issue sleeping ofc and have been sleepwalking/sleepeating all of my life. Never assumed it was sleep apena as it was quickly labeled psycharistic issues 🙄They did the sleep study i stopped breathing avg of 15 times per hour or something like that. That was over 3 years ago and my cpap machine is collecting dust. I use it on and off. Its just so annoying to have anything on my head. The pillow I use its not a mask its fine, its the hose Im a sleeper who changes positions at least 10 times a night. Just so my muscles can stop complaining. They cramp up for some weird reason
Wow 15 times an hour. I feel like that’s going to be me. So do you use a special pillow, if so does it help any?

Lady Wolfshead

"Don't fear mistakes. There are none." Miles Davis
I use a cpap after getting a sleep study. It's really only annoying for the first night or two - then you get used to it. Now I sleep much better and feel more rested. I highly recommend it. They are very expensive though - I'm lucky my insurance paid. I'm not aware of any devices that work like a cpap and I have looked into it. Most are scams I think. Not just fat people have sleep apnea. My husband is skinny and he has it. But weight is a factor.

The health benefits of cpap are clear. Sleep apnea can cause or contribute to many medical issues.

I have a friend who refuses to wear her cpap and I'm very worried for her. She is 400 lbs and smokes. I have a sinking feeling I will be going to her funeral soon (she's 50).

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$95.00
Goal
$255.00