• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

suicidal over being bald

Crickets

Well-Known Member
#1
I was looking at pictures from 2010. And I had a perfect hairline back then. Then I saw some pictures from 2016 and that was when my hairline started receding. By 2021 my hairline was gone and my hair was thinning. I took the plunge and buzzed my head with the machine. I've been doing that since. Sometimes I'll use a razor to shave my head. Even after 5 years I still have not gotten used to it, it's like I can't accept it. A part of me died when I had to buzz my head. The person I looked like in 2010 and 2016 doesn't exist anymore. Might as well have died. That's how I have been feeling ever since; dead. It is something permanent, my baldness. I can't put hair back on my head and I can't regrow my hairline. There is nothing I can do about it. I can't afford a hair transplant and I've tried taking medication but it did not work and gave me side effects. Sometimes I feel like it would have been good to die back in 2021 as a part of me died then. Instead of living like a ghost. Sometimes the sadness and embarrassment to live the rest of my days bald is too much to take in and I think I would rather die than live like this, would rather be dead than look the way I look.
 
#6
I can't afford a hair transplant and I've tried taking medication but it did not work and gave me side effects.
How much does a hair transplant cost?

Did you tell your doctor about the problems with the medication? In principle there could be more than one drug to try.

Chinese herbal medicine might be something to try. Generally you have to see a professional herbalist to get a prescription, but there are also some home remedies. One home remedy for baldness is to rub fresh ginger on your scalp.

Is the source of the problem feeling like being bald makes you unattractive? If you had a partner who you found attractive and who was attracted to you, would that change things? If you felt generally attractive, would that make the difference?
 

Jezah81

Well-Known Member
#7
I'm on finesteride and minoxidil foam. I'll know in about 3 to 6 months time if its working for my hair loss. Ive also been looking at hair transplants but seems too expensive. Not only that , ive read you need to take some type of medication like finesteride in order for the hair transplants not to thin out. There's no easy answer unfortunately. We're stuck with crap genetics .
 

Anchorchain

Well-Known Member
#8
Stoic philosophy asks us to know that some things we can control and others we cannot control.
@Crickets, I encourage you to focus on things you can control....like purpose in life and meaningfulness.
BTW, I say this as a guy who's lost his hair too. Or most of it. I still have a decent growth on the sides and back of my head.
 

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
#10
My other half is bald. He lost his hair line in his early 20’s. He’s now pretty much completely bald. There’s plenty of women out there who find bald men attractive and a massive turn on. It didn’t put me off my other half.
 

Crickets

Well-Known Member
#12
My other half is bald. He lost his hair line in his early 20’s. He’s now pretty much completely bald. There’s plenty of women out there who find bald men attractive and a massive turn on. It didn’t put me off my other half.
That may be true, I know there are people who find bald men attractive. But that doesn't make me feel any better. I still feel like I look worse than I did with hair and I just feel less attractive now.
 

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
#15
I’d bet most people think that’s better looking than you think. And not to get too much into it, but I have experience with thinking like that.

I mean, it’s hard to change your opinion, especially if your hair was important to you. But I think at least part of the issue is that your current look doesn’t match the image you have of yourself. But new people don’t have that image to be attached to, all they see is the current look.

I dunno, maybe it doesn’t apply to you, I’m thinking of my own experiences and those of dudes I know. But I’m still willing to bet you look considerably better than you think you do.
 
Last edited:

Crickets

Well-Known Member
#16
I’d bet most people think that’s better looking than you think. And not to get too much into it, but I have experience with thinking like that.

I mean, it’s hard to change your opinion, especially if your hair was important to you. But I think at least part of the issue is that your current look doesn’t match the image you have of yourself. But new people don’t have that image to be attached to, all they see is the current look.

I dunno, maybe it doesn’t apply to you, I’m thinking of my own experiences and those of dudes I know. But I’m still willing to bet you look considerably better than you think you do.

I have been bald for about 4 years now and I have never gotten used to it. I have never gotten used to the new bald look and I still hate it and am self conscious about it. I look much worse than I did with hair.
 
#18
I am still feeling strongly suicidal over being bald.
Hi Crickets, I'm sorry that you're feeling so bad about your hair loss. I read the thread but I still don't completely understand exactly what you dislike about it. Is it fully that you don't think you look good without it, or that you think other people don't like how you look/judge you for it, or maybe something else?
 

Crickets

Well-Known Member
#19
Hi Crickets, I'm sorry that you're feeling so bad about your hair loss. I read the thread but I still don't completely understand exactly what you dislike about it. Is it fully that you don't think you look good without it, or that you think other people don't like how you look/judge you for it, or maybe something else?
I feel like I look ugly for being bald and that other people think the same thing. I feel I looked better with hair. It's been 4 years and I just want to die at this point.
 
#20
I feel like I look ugly for being bald and that other people think the same thing. I feel I looked better with hair. It's been 4 years and I just want to die at this point.
This may not be helpful, but I personally don't think people are naturally ugly or beautiful. Beauty can only come from the inside. I know that's a cliche, but I really think it's true. Once people get to know you, I'm sure that kindness will shine through. A true smile and a friendly personality go a long way. The people that don't see that or judge you immediately really don't matter in the grand scheme of your life; you'll probably never see most of those people again. Unfortunately, for the self-hating part, there's not really anything you can do about how you look. There are a lot of people who wish they could look different, but they have to learn how to live with it. Maybe you could start by focusing on the features that you do like? I know it's a struggle... over time I think you can learn how to love yourself just as you are. *brohug
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$25.00
Goal
$255.00
Top