Suicide Methods

★ SF Staff

Administrator
Safety & Support
Painless Suicide, or most certain suicide method, easiest ways to kill self – these are all the apparent holy grail of the deeply depressed and suicidal mind. After things get so bad that it seems every day is agony and contemplating an endless number of more day is impossible, it is common to become fixated on dying and ways to die as that is the only thing we are sure will make it all stop. Most of the members of this site found us by researching suicidal thoughts and suicide methods.

Some members were a little surprised by what they found after registering here as answers to those type of searches, but the majority of people that read for a more than a few lines realized the truth. Some are looking for pain free suicide methods because they realize that all suicide causes unimaginable pain and is the result of unspeakable amounts of pain and the only thing that matters is a way to make the pain stop or at least become tolerable. So why does SF not allow any discussion of the various methods to commit suicide?

Painless Suicide Methods

The obsession and dedication a person in a truly suicidal mental state dedicates to that research of their fall back solution to stop all that pain would do an Ivy League scholar proud. It gets to the point that is sometimes all they can think about and these endless and constant thoughts about methods to die is simply another layer of misery on top of their other pain and torment.

So what is wrong with that research and knowing that most suicidal people have spent a fair amount of time researching and planning, what is wrong with talking about it? It is because that so easily becomes a fixation that there are guidelines that prohibit it. Like any type of dependency or addiction, if faced with a constant battle already, putting the source of that obsession in front of them simply makes it worse and adds to that misery.

It is already hard to stop the constant thoughts and visualizations for many, so every mention of specific methods makes them lose track of all else to enter that cycle of visualizing. They want the pain to end and the only way they can see to end it is by dying. Telling them about different methods to die is nothing more than a distraction from that other pain they feel and may help them feel like perhaps the pain will not be forever after all. What is wrong with this distraction?

This type of distraction still allows for only one way for the pain to end. It is not a distraction from suicidal thoughts, it is distraction from all else but suicidal thoughts, and that distraction will allow other issues to simply fester in size and difficulty in resolving. If you have 7 days to find a place or face homelessness which will make you choose suicide then spending 3 days researching something as simple as dying is not a helpful distraction.

When people are at the absolute lowest point, any visualization can be dangerous. While it may be possible to fight off the urge when thinking about it as “suicide”, the discussion of even common ordinary well known methods can easily lead somebody to visualize making it that last bit easier to follow through. It also distracts from the real problems. Describing what method one plans to end their life becomes the focus as opposed to the issue they are facing. If it distracts and triggers the readers from the real issues, then they are not in a good position to either offer or consider real answers.

Painless suicide methods is impossible because suicide is the result of pain. There are methods to end the pain causing suicidal feelings; they are very real and used by thousands every day to make their lives better. These come in many forms from professional medical help, counseling, medication, self-awareness, or even peer support groups like this. All suicidal people want to die and what “method” used to accomplish that has no bearing whatsoever on what they are feeling.

Discussing methods to make what they are feeling less painful can actually reduce the pain that leads to suicide and suicidal thoughts. Our efforts here concentrate on the methods to actually reduce the pain associated with lives and lifestyles of the suicidal, and their suicidal thoughts by making life less painful and worth living.

Jack D

SF Supporter
I have to admit, right from the beginning of joining the site, I was slightly unamused and felt restricted (on some days "censored") as a result of these rules prohibiting the mention of methods. But reading this has come to make me understand why this was the case.

From what I can fathom, you are more interested in getting to the direct root of the pain and finding ways to cope with that. A cure verses a treatment, so to say.

I do however have to interject and say that, from at least my point of view, I feel that talking about methods is within itself another method of release, like in the same way of ranting or posting of your concerns on here. But I perfectly respect why this is not the case on this site.

I wish I had seen this post, and this website, earlier.

The cold hard truth of the matter is that there is No Magic "cure" to our pain.. However there are tons of things we can do to lessen the pain, Unfortunately we have to go through a little bit of Hell to get To Heaven :) I am living proof that after countless attempts to end my own life I am now no longer Depressed Pain does end :)

Wow, not sure what to say but I like everything I've read as well as everyone I've met. I'm getting stronger everyday but I'm afraid that I'm still very fragile. One minute at a time is all I can do.
It sounds like you are having such a terrible struggle, I'm sorry to hear that.

Glad that you are getting stronger everyday though. Hope SF can help!

Blake9

I don't think that the fact of publishing methods of suicides is right. Yesterday I found a page where is detailed how to kill yourself <mod edit - method>. Yesterday I wanted to die and I was vulnerable. Like me, there are thousands of people that in a accurate moment are vulnerable too. I agree with suicide in some cases but sometimes you are like I said vulnerable and If you find a place where is detailed how to die you could be influenced. Sometimes the solution is not the death, sometimes there are people that just need to talk to someone and if you let them know how to die in a weak moment, you are ruining that opportunity forever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Freya

Loves SF
Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
I don't think that the fact of publishing methods of suicides is right. Yesterday I found a page where is detailed how to kill yourself <mod edit - method>. Yesterday I wanted to die and I was vulnerable. Like me, there are thousands of people that in a accurate moment are vulnerable too. I agree with suicide in some cases but sometimes you are like I said vulnerable and If you find a place where is detailed how to die you could be influenced. Sometimes the solution is not the death, sometimes there are people that just need to talk to someone and if you let them know how to die in a weak moment, you are ruining that opportunity forever.
We agree with you completely and that is why we do not allow any methods at all here. Sometimes just seeing a method can push someone to start thinking about dying that way and when someone is already in a bad place, that can be the only "push" they need to endanger themselves. The point you are making is exactly why we do not allow methods to be written here at all.

Unknown_111

Forum Buddy
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I am in total agreement with YOU. When people are faced with the ultimate act of the "final committment" with no where to turn to, YOU need to someone to talk to. The rational of the is forum to talk to others who are still or have been in a similar state of mind.

Yes, people do write about methods but the forum is moderated to remove description of such methods but at the same time allow people to discuss their feelings in real time. In the forum we rely on members to oblige by the forum's rules or others to report which might be considered to be a trigger point. We try our best to help others because to promote the "importance of life."

This is so true as I myself have looked up methods never even thinking I’d be directed to a site that encourages and reveals in great detail ways to succeed....which when feeling vulnerable speaking for myself here, i can easily become fixated on certain things and then cannot remove what I have read from my mind!
This site is completely the opposite this group tries to help and empathise and talk to you, but I will be brutally honest i was once again looking for the opposite....but so glad I found my way here instead for the sake of my 2 remaining children, but after losing my beautiful boy to suicide I often wonder did he search these sites also...and if so how could I even consider searching them myself....so messed up all of this!.

Heavens Heart

Wow, not sure what to say but I like everything I've read as well as everyone I've met. I'm getting stronger everyday but I'm afraid that I'm still very fragile. One minute at a time is all I can do.
Hugs I am proud of those first steps your taking brave you are!!! Know you matter in this world love and hugs

This is so true as I myself have looked up methods never even thinking I’d be directed to a site that encourages and reveals in great detail ways to succeed....which when feeling vulnerable speaking for myself here, i can easily become fixated on certain things and then cannot remove what I have read from my mind!
This site is completely the opposite this group tries to help and empathise and talk to you, but I will be brutally honest i was once again looking for the opposite....but so glad I found my way here instead for the sake of my 2 remaining children, but after losing my beautiful boy to suicide I often wonder did he search these sites also...and if so how could I even consider searching them myself....so messed up all of this!.
Dear Weakness, I don’t know your story but it seems you have been through incredible pain. As a mum I just wanted to send you a huge hug xx

Hi ReneeNae, be proud of yourself. One minute at a time is a step in the right direction. Sending yiu a hug x

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
Painless Suicide, or most certain suicide method, easiest ways to kill self – these are all the apparent holy grail of the deeply depressed and suicidal mind. After things get so bad that it seems every day is agony and contemplating an endless number of more day is impossible, it is common to become fixated on dying and ways to die as that is the only thing we are sure will make it all stop. Most of the members of this site found us by researching suicidal thoughts and suicide methods.

Some members were a little surprised by what they found after registering here as answers to those type of searches, but the majority of people that read for a more than a few lines realized the truth. Some are looking for pain free suicide methods because they realize that all suicide causes unimaginable pain and is the result of unspeakable amounts of pain and the only thing that matters is a way to make the pain stop or at least become tolerable. So why does SF not allow any discussion of the various methods to commit suicide?

Painless Suicide Methods

The obsession and dedication a person in a truly suicidal mental state dedicates to that research of their fall back solution to stop all that pain would do an Ivy League scholar proud. It gets to the point that is sometimes all they can think about and these endless and constant thoughts about methods to die is simply another layer of misery on top of their other pain and torment.

So what is wrong with that research and knowing that most suicidal people have spent a fair amount of time researching and planning, what is wrong with talking about it? It is because that so easily becomes a fixation that there are guidelines that prohibit it. Like any type of dependency or addiction, if faced with a constant battle already, putting the source of that obsession in front of them simply makes it worse and adds to that misery.

It is already hard to stop the constant thoughts and visualizations for many, so every mention of specific methods makes them lose track of all else to enter that cycle of visualizing. They want the pain to end and the only way they can see to end it is by dying. Telling them about different methods to die is nothing more than a distraction from that other pain they feel and may help them feel like perhaps the pain will not be forever after all. What is wrong with this distraction?

This type of distraction still allows for only one way for the pain to end. It is not a distraction from suicidal thoughts, it is distraction from all else but suicidal thoughts, and that distraction will allow other issues to simply fester in size and difficulty in resolving. If you have 7 days to find a place or face homelessness which will make you choose suicide then spending 3 days researching something as simple as dying is not a helpful distraction.

When people are at the absolute lowest point, any visualization can be dangerous. While it may be possible to fight off the urge when thinking about it as “suicide”, the discussion of even common ordinary well known methods can easily lead somebody to visualize making it that last bit easier to follow through. It also distracts from the real problems. Describing what method one plans to end their life becomes the focus as opposed to the issue they are facing. If it distracts and triggers the readers from the real issues, then they are not in a good position to either offer or consider real answers.

Painless suicide methods is impossible because suicide is the result of pain. There are methods to end the pain causing suicidal feelings; they are very real and used by thousands every day to make their lives better. These come in many forms from professional medical help, counseling, medication, self-awareness, or even peer support groups like this. All suicidal people want to die and what “method” used to accomplish that has no bearing whatsoever on what they are feeling.

Discussing methods to make what they are feeling less painful can actually reduce the pain that leads to suicide and suicidal thoughts. Our efforts here concentrate on the methods to actually reduce the pain associated with lives and lifestyles of the suicidal, and their suicidal thoughts by making life less painful and worth living.
i just want to say that last april 1 is when i joined SF. I am looking forward to my 1 year anniversary here. and yes, i did do that un... research and that is what led me here to SF and i am happy about that. lately i’ve been going into tirades about my something/nothings on chat - sorry everyone - i think i actually chase people away. i’m trying to be better at not doing that. and yes also, i do have some differing thoughts about what is expressed above and i know those thoughts are evolving as time goes on and most likely will be much closer to agreement if not all the way there hopefully before the following anniversary. i am working on it. lately i’ve also become afraid to post at all because i fear making an inadvertent mistake. i know my thoughts often start going all over the place and i really don’t know what to do about it other than not post if i see i’m doing some destructive thinking. and lately certain words put fear and distress in me. words like: mental, thinking, disorder, all the 3 or 4 letter names, that these can be used to apply to me is so scary and distressing. but with my present insurance and therapy loss problems and the prospect of therapy not being very helpful for the time being, being here is very helpful. difficult but helpful. i just wanted to mention this.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00