• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

surviving your chronic pain

Astrid78

Spoonful of sugar will help the medicine go down
#62
i will start with how i deal with chronic pain including meds , my mind, and of course my anger. please keep this thread to physical pain and mental health due to physical pain. mental health pain is just as valid but would be better in it's own thread. since opioid pain meds were discontinued or drastically reduced people are desperate which can lead to street drugs and overdoses and of course many thousands of suicides. please only list legal meds and if not sure like mmj say if legal in your area. there is hope for those of us who suffer daily.
My chronic pain was discovered during my youth, so I've been living with pain my adult life. Early on it was found that my body just doesn't tolerate medication. The side affects make me sick and knock me out, to the point I can't function. Because I have always been the primary care giver to my children. I needed to function.
I was offered back surgery in my 20s, but knew someone older who had surgery, for the same thing, she warned me against it as did others, so I declined.
Besides thought of it is creepy to me.
To manage pain on a daily basis I use mmj, this is legal, physical therapy exercises, stretching, and generally keeping my body moving.
For flare ups I'll slather on Bio freeze and Zostrix. Both work quite well on there own but the pain gets that bad. Often times I'll take a scalding hot shower too. Doing this dulls the pain to a more liveable level.
Sometimes I wonder how much the pain has to do with suicidality and pmdd, so have started to track this.
 

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
#63
No the manufacturers of Skittles and Starburst really did have a class action lawsuit for putting titanium dioxide in both of those products here in the US.

*just in case you were thinking what on earth are you talking about Harm is this a Don Julio moment? :D
*rofl"Don Julio moment" , love it .

Next you'll be telling me that they were using lead paint for the colouring of those sweets. Just imagine the reaction of those two Pb enthusiasts, Tinkerbell and MT, were that so.
 

Harmony

Well-Known member
SF Supporter
#64
Does anyone here suffer from chronic migraines? If so, do you take a rescue or preventative med or possibly both whether it be individually or one of the newer combined treatments? I've been plagued with them since the age of 16 and while I might have a breakthrough migraine, mine are largely due to monthly hormonal fluctuations. They seem to be worse now in terms of both frequency and intensity but still concentrated during the time surrounding my cycle. I take Maxalt/rizatriptan and previously one dose had me covered. Now I'm finding it takes two doses PO and with that comes a great deal of drowsiness. I think possibly even more so in my case due to concurrent antiepileptic/convulsive treatment with Keppra/levetiracetam which is a very benign med relatively speaking regarding this class of medications but still CNS side effects. Ughh!
 

1964dodge

Has a monkey as a friend
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
#66
My chronic pain was discovered during my youth, so I've been living with pain my adult life. Early on it was found that my body just doesn't tolerate medication. The side affects make me sick and knock me out, to the point I can't function. Because I have always been the primary care giver to my children. I needed to function.
I was offered back surgery in my 20s, but knew someone older who had surgery, for the same thing, she warned me against it as did others, so I declined.
Besides thought of it is creepy to me.
To manage pain on a daily basis I use mmj, this is legal, physical therapy exercises, stretching, and generally keeping my body moving.
For flare ups I'll slather on Bio freeze and Zostrix. Both work quite well on there own but the pain gets that bad. Often times I'll take a scalding hot shower too. Doing this dulls the pain to a more liveable level.
Sometimes I wonder how much the pain has to do with suicidality and pmdd, so have started to track this.
chronic pain is linked to depression, anxiety and suicide. i don't think it's possible to live through chronic pain and not be depressed some. and of course when the pain gets too bad for too long those dark thoughts of suicide come. i think this is normal and as long as we acknowledge it we can fight it. i think what you are doing is great especially with you medication resistant. like you my pain management is through many different things. keep fighting astrid you are strong

mike.....*hug*shake
 

1964dodge

Has a monkey as a friend
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
#67
Does anyone here suffer from chronic migraines? If so, do you take a rescue or preventative med or possibly both whether it be individually or one of the newer combined treatments? I've been plagued with them since the age of 16 and while I might have a breakthrough migraine, mine are largely due to monthly hormonal fluctuations. They seem to be worse now in terms of both frequency and intensity but still concentrated during the time surrounding my cycle. I take Maxalt/rizatriptan and previously one dose had me covered. Now I'm finding it takes two doses PO and with that comes a great deal of drowsiness. I think possibly even more so in my case due to concurrent antiepileptic/convulsive treatment with Keppra/levetiracetam which is a very benign med relatively speaking regarding this class of medications but still CNS side effects. Ughh!
i only get rare migraines but i can feel for you. you may want to talk again with your doctor and maybe your gyno where it's centered around your cycle. it may also be a good idea to research your condition online and research your meds for interactions and side effects

mike.....*hug*shake
 

1964dodge

Has a monkey as a friend
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
#68
just a heads up for anyone that takes 2mg hydro-morphone ( dilaudid ) there is a shortage because of dea mandated cutbacks they aren't making any until between end of feruary to begining of april. i waited a week and a half before calling my doctor and he solved the problem. so if you are on this med check ahead for availibility. also if anyone knows of any long term shortage on any pain meds please mention it here

mike
 

Astrid78

Spoonful of sugar will help the medicine go down
#69
chronic pain is linked to depression, anxiety and suicide. i don't think it's possible to live through chronic pain and not be depressed some. and of course when the pain gets too bad for too long those dark thoughts of suicide come. i think this is normal and as long as we acknowledge it we can fight it. i think what you are doing is great especially with you medication resistant. like you my pain management is through many different things. keep fighting astrid you are strong

mike.....*hug*shake
Thanks Mike, usually people say the pain must not be that bad if I don't take meds. It's like no one understands that I cant neglect my children like that.
 

MisterBGone

~\_✅`,')
SF Supporter
#70
I was offered back surgery in my 20s, but knew someone older who had surgery, for the same thing, she warned me against it as did others, so I declined.
Besides thought of it is creepy to me.
I mean, it really just depends... though, since it sounds like your mind is cemented on this subject; so I shall refrain from commenting on it further. Only to suggest that, for it not for a particularly unrelated reason (not having much to do w/the back at-all!) : I, my^self! ...would LIKE-LY be considering it - if they'd deemed me to be a good candidate; now, I don't know how realistic an option this is (nor how feasible), but I might try to seek more than one 2nd opinion, and only start the cutting once consensus is reached. Given what's given~ ;) :D :) -but I can be, a pain in the b. hehehe. . .
 

Harmony

Well-Known member
SF Supporter
#73
you may want to talk again with your doctor and maybe your gyno where it's centered around your cycle
My experience has been that migraines or any type of headaches (cluster etc) are well beyond the scope of Obgyns, even if they are hormonally based. It's better to seek out a neurologist for tx and have a complete workup.
 

Windhover

meandering home
SF Supporter
#75
*sadhug@toomuchreality hugs
When you are here, you are not alone.
I'm sorry the pain is bad, and I hope some healing comes for you after the anger that was aimed at you.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top