I've been depressed for over a month. A few days ago, I thought I was recovering a bit. That didn't last beyond a few hours. Depressive episodes don't usually go on for weeks like this. Christmas is special to me, and I usually find a way to enjoy the season. This year is the worst ever, in terms of low mood.
The cause is too much time alone and not hearing from family like I used to. If I get out of the house, I feel better. I didn't leave the house yesterday or today. I never got dressed today. Some days I'm staying in bed half the day. I feel so unable to move. Mornings are the worst. By the time I get up some energy, it's almost dark, and the day is shot. I have no will power, especially in the morning. After a small breakfast, I go back to bed. Usually, I fall back asleep. It feels like I need the sleep. If I would put on some clothes and get out and run some errands, I'ld feel so much better. I just can't talk myself into doing that for much of the day.
I wish I could talk to a mental health professional who would know what I'm talking about. I found, in the past, that they usually don't really know. They can pay lip service and recite all the standard talking points, but they don't really get it. Plus, it seems I just don't come across as having any serious problem. I clean up pretty good and can present well. They just have no idea what's behind the front. Even when I've tried to explain, there's just no way to show another person how things look through my eyes. When I'm not in the middle of one of these bad episodes, I can feel just fine. I can seem just fine. Because of how well I seem when I am well, no one would suspect how unwell I get at times.
I wish I could talk to someone IRL about this. I wish I could just hire someone to help me straighten up my apartment. If I just had someone here for a few hours, I'ld snap out of this. That is an option. It just feels too embarrassing to do that.
It usually helps, if I just go to a big box store and walk all around. I treat myself to a scented candle and, maybe, buy a special treat to eat. I could have done that today, but I didn't.
I don't really blame professionals for not being able to help me. I'm just not helpable, I guess. I think they see my virtues and strengths, and they conclude I'm just not using my abilities. I seem to be a capable adult, so there seems no excuse for being stuck in a deep pit. I'm not saying I don't deserve a boot in the behind. I know I'm being lazy. I understand it's hard to have sympathy for anyone who seems to just give up. We each have a responsibility to manage our problems. Recurrent depression is like trying to move while wearing a backpack full of bricks. The bag of bricks is invisible. It might seem to others that the bag of bricks could simply be put down. There is no explaining that it can't be.
There are good reasons why it is considered bad manners to go around whining about the load one carries. Everyone carries a load. Life is hard. I don't do much complaining to others IRL. People have enough problems of their own. People can be quite generous, if there is some practical way they can help. Sometimes there isn't. Sometimes it would mean a lot, if someone just could tell me that they understand I'm struggling. I don't tell anyone IRL that I'm having a hard time because nobody wants to hear about invisible bricks . . . not when they have concrete burdens to cope with, as everyone does have.