Ideas & Opinions The Pleasure of Cruelty

Lisa the Goatgirl

She's less of an enigma now
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Speaking as someone who spent years avenging every perceived wrong with bruises and broken bones, i find myself strongly disagreeing that revenge is a positive or aspirational thing. Sure, maybe in the short term it can feel good to make someone hurt for having wronged you, but the long term consequence is that you find yourself more or less alone because everyone thinks of you as a petty, vindictive rageaholic. At least, that's how it generally ended up playing out in my experience.*dunno2

I'm not necessarily the strongest believer in turning the other cheek all the time either, but i just think seeking revenge is kind of a fool's errand. There are usually healthier ways to respond to these things.

"For those regarded as warriors, when engaged in combat the vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior's only concern. Suppress all human emotion and compassion. Kill whoever stands in thy way, even if that be Lord God, or Buddha himself. This truth lies at the heart of the art of combat." ~ Hattori Hanzo.
Btw, i wouldn't recommend using a quote from any warrior as a source for philosophy, since there's a reason we see so many depictions of veterans as tired, full of regrets, and mourning the countless people they've lost. The life of the warrior is far from a happy one.

MisterBGone

✅ Dancer
SF Supporter
You might want to eventually read, Sun Tzu’s “Art of War,” if you haven’t already done so (you probably have . . .)! :^)_ but- I feel it will either help you see things from the other side a bit more clearly, or, reinforce what you already believe—& thus, become more “balanced,” for lack of a better~ ;) . . be-well!

Inanimate

I don’t think the run-of-the-mill asshead (or arsehead) is deserving of ones time, attention, and emotional reserves, when an effective, proportional response will do. However, when someone is tirelessly spoiling my enjoyment, peace, and pride, and for frivolous reasons like impressing on the herd that he is a fearless, alpha male big shot, I don’t think it’s inherently excessive to seek vengeance and succeed.

neutralbuoyancy

stuck in place yet again
There are a few dimensions to cruelty but I'll just ask about one of them here. This is not about being cruel for cruel's sake. I think it's probably the more universal, or at least understandable, aspect of the human capacity for cruelty: revenge for betrayal.

We've often heard it said that seeking revenge is never the solution, as two wrongs don't make a right; that whatever injury you suffered will never be undone by indulging in retaliation; that no matter how justified you are in wanting to return the malice for the malice that was was inflicted upon you, your wrath can only serve to make things worse; and that old proverb: “Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.”

But then there is this:

"For those regarded as warriors, when engaged in combat the vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior's only concern. Suppress all human emotion and compassion. Kill whoever stands in thy way, even if that be Lord God, or Buddha himself. This truth lies at the heart of the art of combat." ~ Hattori Hanzo.

I have sought revenge at times in my life on those who have betrayed me. Nothing murderous of course, no broken bones or lost limbs. Sometimes it amounted to little more than just being recalcitrant . But upon success I would always rejoice. And nothing so trivial as a momentary gloat, nothing so petty. It would instead be a lasting euphoria. Like being born. It was suddenly being relevant. Like drapes suddenly pulled open to let in an abundance of sunshine. Imagine the look of surprise on a person's face when they distractedly think they're swatting a fly away from their face & suddenly realize it's actually a hornet. Fully visible. You suddenly exist.

In my experience, sometimes you rescue yourself from your own resentment not by appealing to a person's capacity for kindness but by triggering their utter distaste for pain. Yes, yes, cooler & more forgiving heads should prevail but I speak as one who is deeply flawed.

Feedback welcome.
revenge hmm i usually dream about it but leave it alone thinking u cant rewind time

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
I think it depends on the situation. There's practically no other way except "punching back at the bully," if we're literally talking about an actual bully, to make them stop harassing you. At times, however, it may not be worth it to exact revenge (for your own sake or well-being). That having been said, people are definitely much less inclined to treat you like shit and take advantage of you if you have an overall reputation for not letting things slide.

MisterBGone

✅ Dancer
SF Supporter
Believe me! There’s been plenty of times when the thought of, “bullying the bully,” as you say. . . Might give me the most supreme form of pleasure!! (Though this also could be read / viewed & interpreted as one of the more supreme forms of an ego gone awry!!)..;)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00