• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

The Travel Thread

Can't 😴 so thought I'd post pics from my annual Shenandoah National Park camping/hiking sojourn.

The Perseids were amazing, no moon and really dark skies.

Anyway, here's some pictures. No beat sightings, alas, but I saw more deer on this trip than all my previous visits combined..
View attachment 47328
View attachment 47329
View attachment 47330
View attachment 47331
View attachment 47332
That should have been "beaR sightings"...

Stupid autocorrect...
 
Had two days off and decided to head out for an impromptu camping trip. Grayson Highlands State Park, in SW Virginia. Hiked the AT to Mt Rogers, the highest point in Virginia. Wild ponies roam all over the Jefferson National Forest, which is adjacent to the state park. Here's a few pics..
IMG_20211012_155924828.jpg IMG_20211012_170333495.jpg IMG_20211012_172328128_HDR.jpg IMG_20211012_180823476_HDR.jpg IMG_20211012_184857891_HDR.jpg
 
They help keep the environment (native flora) healthy via their selective grazing...and their poop helps enrich the soil!
The wild horses, mustangs, are being managed to death out west in Wyoming, being rounded up, removed and slaughtered by the BLM. Very sad.
 
Last edited:
I am at Richmond International waiting to board my flight for Denver. I was worried that Izzy would cause problems, but it looks like I am getting out just in time πŸ‘

Connecting flight to Midland TX out of Denver, then pick up the rental for a pleasant 3 hour drive to Big Bend and its enchantments...
 
I am at Richmond International waiting to board my flight for Denver. I was worried that Izzy would cause problems, but it looks like I am getting out just in time πŸ‘

Connecting flight to Midland TX out of Denver, then pick up the rental for a pleasant 3 hour drive to Big Bend and its enchantments...
Have a good flight and have an amazing time
 
I am at Richmond International waiting to board my flight for Denver. I was worried that Izzy would cause problems, but it looks like I am getting out just in time πŸ‘

Connecting flight to Midland TX out of Denver, then pick up the rental for a pleasant 3 hour drive to Big Bend and its enchantments...
I hope you had good flights and that you have an amazing time. I'm watching the sunrise here right now and thinking of you seeing it in the mountains tomorrow
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$25.00
Goal
$255.00
Top