Ways to deal with anger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
During my therapy I've realised that I have this huge reseviour of pent up anger leading back from when I was a kid and bullied at school. I know that to be healthy I need to release this anger. The problem is there's so much of it and if I let it all out at once I'd probably be quite dangerous! I don't know how to release it slowly and safely and a bit at a time. What I usually do with my anger is turn it inwards and blame myself for everything, and I can't keep doing that.

Does anyone have any good ways for dealing with anger?

i tend to write either poetry or letters to the people im angry at. The letters i dont send i usually write them then rip them up but it's therapeutic for me. DOn't know if that helps any but...worth a shot.

P

ProzacDeathWish

During my therapy I've realised that I have this huge reseviour of pent up anger leading back from when I was a kid and bullied at school. I know that to be healthy I need to release this anger. The problem is there's so much of it and if I let it all out at once I'd probably be quite dangerous! I don't know how to release it slowly and safely and a bit at a time. What I usually do with my anger is turn it inwards and blame myself for everything, and I can't keep doing that.

Does anyone have any good ways for dealing with anger?
Although anger is an emotion it has a physical aspect that must be dealt with once you have reached the danger zone. I am speaking of the chemical reactions that go on inside your body when you experience rage. The stress hormones that your body produces are quite powerful; that is their purpose to
energize you. Unless you engage in some physical activity ( punching
your mattress, for example ) to dissipate the stress hormones these chemicals will eventually begin to take it out on your body in very destructive ways. Long story short, try to use simple will power to control your behavior when you feel like going postal, but even if you are able to maintain total control upon your outward behavior you really need to go to the gym or boxing ring or whatever and release the physical tension that goes with experiencing intense anger.

If you don't do yourself that favor, then you are giving your mind and body all the ammunition it needs to build into an explosion of anger that will instead control you. Unless you like wearing handcuffs and sitting in jail ( been there, done that ) you need to at least try to deal with it as quickly as possible. Also, avoid stimulants like coffee if you think that you may be in a situation that will try your patience...believe me, a caffiene-fueled temper tantrum can totally blind-side you.

Terry

Antiquities Friend
Staff Alumni
Mal I had exactly the same problem and then when I did let it out it was nuclear!!
What I do now is as soon as I'm even midly annoyed I say so, this way nothing gets bottled up = no explosions.
Also found beating the shit out of a pillow worked wonders.

Right U R Ken

It's not directly an anger mangement thing but as a stress reliever there's nothing better than Paintball. You'll get a huge adreniline rush playing this game. It's loads of fun and amazingly safe. If you follow the rules, you're safer playing paintball then you are in your own home. The stress relief factor will definetly help you with anger issues. Try it, I'm not kidding, try it.

Twowires

Get a punchbag, a proper thick beefy one, something that resists damage well, just visualise your pain and let rip. The stress relief is good, coupled with visualisations of anger relief and positive thinking, you can control and siphon off the flow of rage.

When you've had a few sessions with it, don't take no guff, be confident, overly confident, if you need to be, this will avoid the rage building up, if you continue building the rage while releasing it, the bag will lose its effectiveness.

Just my thoughts Prune xXx

Forgotten_Man

Five Words

The first Two
Playstation 2

The last Three
Grand Theft Auto. :biggrin:

:laugh: Seriously, you can be as menacing and sadistic as you want in that game it is so much fun.

I don't really like the GTA games, much prefer shooting the s*it out of evil aliens in Halo and Doom :laugh: And playstation can kiss my graphics card's butt :laugh:

But yeah, games do help at bit, but they don't get rid of the physical componant of anger

Jodi

Staff Alumni
sit in your car or bed room...anywhere...and just scream....as loud and as for as long as you need too...just get it out....just a thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00