• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

We're quitters!

Tana

Well-Known Member
Am I always going to have cravings? :(

I've not had a smoke in about 2 weeks and I still get the stomach aches and such, which I know a smoke would calm down....It's not as nearly as bad as the first few days, but still...I thought it should have been over after 3 days or something? ...This sucks, and I can't even have any, since I'm broke....
 

Sonder

Zen out
SF Supporter
Smoking is such a bullshit thing, it creates the illusion that is is nice and that you enjoy it but in the end of the day, all it is is an addiction. The joy you find from smoking is the soothing effect it has on your addiction to it.
I am now on day 65 of quitting. I congratulate you for doing the same. :)

Everyone has different ways to stop and different side effects to stopping, so all I can do is share my experience with you and hope that it will help you.

Over the past year and a half, I have stopped smoking about 50 times. It took me a long time to stop. Every time I started again I could kick myself, trying to find out why I started and used the information to stop for at the very least longer the next time.

The cravings for smoking could last weeks or months but over time they become less and less and easier to handle.
Even after having stopped for months and having no withdrawal from it anymore..... be aware as one day our of the blue you could have that raving again but if you say no, not even have one, the craving will disappear quick.

The reason I attempted to stop smoking is because it got too expensive.
The reason I eventually did stop was because I refused to be an addict.
The additional bonuses for me was that I have a lot more money, I smell better, my clothes smell better, yes.... smokers stink.
I also feel better, I do not cough anymore, etc etc etc.
I now look at smokers along side the road, waiting for buses, standing outside of pubs in the rain...... and they look pathetic. Slaves to nicotine, I was one of them, I am going to try my best never to be addicted to that again. :) Good luck.
If you fail, stop again, and again, and again until the day you stop.

The longer you stop, the easier it will get to say no. :)
 

1964dodge

Has a monkey as a friend
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Am I always going to have cravings? :(

I've not had a smoke in about 2 weeks and I still get the stomach aches and such, which I know a smoke would calm down....It's not as nearly as bad as the first few days, but still...I thought it should have been over after 3 days or something? ...This sucks, and I can't even have any, since I'm broke....
it's different for everyone. I had strong cravings for about two weeks then every week they bothered me less and less. I smoked 50 years from 11 to 61 that's why I have copd. i quit april 15 2018 and only had 1 cig in nearly 2 years. you will make it just hold on. and if you do falter try again...mike...*hug*shake
 

Tana

Well-Known Member
it's different for everyone. I had strong cravings for about two weeks then every week they bothered me less and less. I smoked 50 years from 11 to 61 that's why I have copd. i quit april 15 2018 and only had 1 cig in nearly 2 years. you will make it just hold on. and if you do falter try again...mike...*hug*shake
Great job. :) Thanks for the heads up.
 

Tana

Well-Known Member
So...I've been without in over a month i believe, then i went out and had more of an urge again...i had 4, since my friend bought me a box despite me saying i just hope he'd share 1...

Um. I was without then again for a few days, but smoked one a while ago, since no one's home and won't be for a while (really hope nothing will be smelled, or else i'm gonna hear it...)...i don't think i'm addicted anymore, i didn't need it at all but it does make me feel kind of better...how can i manage smoking at rare times for a little boost without getting addicted again? kind of have it like a small treat...

What should i look out for? thanks.
 

Tana

Well-Known Member
You can't. Seriously. I'm not being a smart ass.
BS m8...there are tons of people who manage it. xD
Don't smoke for idk how long, then smoke a whole box, go without again etc.

Then again, not sure if they were even truly addicted in the first place....why did you say I can't?
 

Witty_Sarcasm

🦄🦜🧁Rainbow Unicorn (Deluxe Edition) ®🌈🌝💖
SF Supporter
BS m8...there are tons of people who manage it. xD
Don't smoke for idk how long, then smoke a whole box, go without again etc.

Then again, not sure if they were even truly addicted in the first place....why did you say I can't?
Depends on the person, but if it's deemed as an addiction, it can be really difficult to just do it every once in a while.
 

1964dodge

Has a monkey as a friend
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
So...I've been without in over a month i believe, then i went out and had more of an urge again...i had 4, since my friend bought me a box despite me saying i just hope he'd share 1...

Um. I was without then again for a few days, but smoked one a while ago, since no one's home and won't be for a while (really hope nothing will be smelled, or else i'm gonna hear it...)...i don't think i'm addicted anymore, i didn't need it at all but it does make me feel kind of better...how can i manage smoking at rare times for a little boost without getting addicted again? kind of have it like a small treat...

What should i look out for? thanks.
you should get rid of the cigs for good. you will be addicted again if you continue. about 30 years ago I quit for 5 weeks except bumming a cig once or twice a week. I hated bumming cigs so I bought a pack . well I started smoking more and more because I had them and got addicted again. but after quitting for almost 2 years now I bummed 1 cig and that's it. i'm ok but even that is risky...mike...*hug
 

Tana

Well-Known Member
*sigh...* :/

Thanks, I know you mean well.
But I was hoping for practical advice, on how to keep up with what I'm doing....
 

Tana

Well-Known Member
So...the passive habit is becoming a little less passive (I suck...).

What do you guys do instead of smoking? Is there anything I can replace it with?
I kind of eat more/snack but...eh. I guess...since the best thing with smoking, for me is that it makes me feel better and more calm, and eases the emotional ache, I'd like something in this direction...that, um. You're allowed to suggest since it isn't just another devil, lol. xD
 

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
But I was hoping for practical advice, on how to keep up with what I'm doing.
So...the passive habit is becoming a little less passive
That is exactly why we were all saying that the habit doesn't stay passive. It's just not like that. You can THINK it's going to stay that way - you can TRY for it to remain that way all you want but little by little one a day turns to three and then 5 and then a year from now you're a pack-a-dayer.
 

Tana

Well-Known Member
That is exactly why we were all saying that the habit doesn't stay passive. It's just not like that. You can THINK it's going to stay that way - you can TRY for it to remain that way all you want but little by little one a day turns to three and then 5 and then a year from now you're a pack-a-dayer.
Okay, sorry for not listening...so, what can I use as a replacement? :)
 

Tana

Well-Known Member
A lot of ppl turn to food here and that’s a poor choice. Do you like anything about the gym?
I like nothing about gym, I've never liked gym, I've nearly failed gym in high school..I was always on my monthly when there was gym, and I thought physical exercises made people look like monkeies..no offence.

...
Also, I'm underweight, so I don't mind food, but It's not enough.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$255.00
Top