Ideas & Opinions What are some non-medicine/therapy ways that help you anxiety?

PrincessPure

I'm open to any idea really, what works best for you? I tried meds many times before but the side effects freak me out, highly doubt I'd ever go back. As for therapy, most professionals disappointed me in some way.
It doesn't need to be a "treat" same way doctors cure illnesses, just anything which makes you slightly feel better.

MAC0

Y.N.W.A
SF Supporter
I have never found anything that works but have been told meditation works but i have never been able to calm my mind enough for it to work

Winslow

My Toughest Problem Has Been Solved.
SF Supporter
I'm open to any idea really, what works best for you? I tried meds many times before but the side effects freak me out, highly doubt I'd ever go back. As for therapy, most professionals disappointed me in some way.
It doesn't need to be a "treat" same way doctors cure illnesses, just anything which makes you slightly feel better.
My answer to your question might sound redundant because I've mentioned it many times already. In my case, I practice Zen meditation. It took quite a bit of time before I finally saw results--so one has to also practice discipline and perseverance to stay at it diligently.

LonelyHiker

Incidental aka FairWeather™
SF Supporter
Anxiety hasn't been as much of an issue for me as unipolar depression, but sometimes when I'm stressed, I do a sensory exercise, where I focus on my immediate visual, tactile, olfactory, auditory, and lingual sensations. It helps ground me in the moment and distracts me from whatever it was I was stressing about.

seabird

meandering home
SF Supporter
hi @ PrincessPure I will add exercise is like medicine for me. I try to get half an hour a day but an hour is ideal. It's also jind of exposure like @Pebble mouse said, because I relax into being outisde & around people instead of hiding which just makes anxeity worse.

When I get an hour of exercise, I find that staying mindful the rest of the day is easier & I sleep so much better. :)

I use the same thing that @LonelyHiker described. It helps me calm down in almost any situation where I notice my anxiety or panic starting.

MAC0

Y.N.W.A
SF Supporter
The most straightforward and also the most difficult is simple - exposure. The more you reveal yourself to anxiety, the better it will become. I get out nearly every day now (which is a big change) and my anxiety is much improved.
I have done that over the years pushed my through but it is always there the next time i have something that makes me worry

LumberJack

I put on women’s clothing, and hang around in bars
Grounding also works for me. Deep breathing too, like the technique where you focus on using the diaphragm to move your abdomen as opposed to chest. If you have panic disorder, there is a book called "Ten Simple Solutions to Panic" (link goes to amazon page for the book). The techniques there helped me get through a particularly bad time with panic attacks.

HappyKitty

Works during the day, doodles at night.
I would say.

Root cause of my anxiety: Sleep issues
Medicine does help- Benzo (day) Klonopin (night) if it like excessive. I would agree, if situational cases esp uncertain ones makes you helpless and gives anxiety, drug dont solve everything. Imagine if you got locked in a toilet and no ones there, you're stuck for 15 mins, and you have no drugs like it will give you decisions - like do you think you're gonna die without drugs or keep screaming for help like trust you're going to end up alright?

So yano, CBT-IPT interpersonal therapy works for me. 😸 It depends on your goal, what do you want from therapy even?

AvidFan

Retired Cat Staff
SF Supporter
I use exercise, meditation, mainly, I also use hypnosis audio recordings with binaural beats to relax, knowing what relaxation feels like you can aim to increase the amount of time you want to spend in that state.

At the same time someone mentioned exposure. This works of course with spiders or buttons - expose to the feared object gradually. But for many people the feared thing is anxiety itself. It's just a state. It won't kill you, fighting it will make it worse, wishing it away won't work. I adopted a policy of feel the anxiety and do (whatever the thing is) anyway. Now things that would have me shaking barely register. Also I learned to love that feeling when I reframed it as anticipation. I made friends with my anxiety, welcomed it in as a friend and neighbour, allowed it completely and it seemed to stop knocking on the door so much. I still feel it, but ride it like a wave.

Without anxiety none of us would be here - the chilled out ancestors got eaten by tigers, the anxious ones with their flight/freeze/flight survived to pass on their anxiety. I sometimes see it as a parent, all the anxiety is doing is tryng to keep me safe but I refuse to let it wrap me in cotton wool. Yeah, without any anxiety we'll wander across a road and get hit by a car, too much and we won't leave the house.

Anxiety and excitement are pretty much the same feelings in the body, it's how we frame it that makes it excitement or anxiety. As Hamlet says "there's nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so". I suppose that's how working with thoughts can work for some people. Personally I find trying to deal with anxiety through thinking like a fly trying to ride an elephant but it works for some!

Lekatt

Love Cats Love All
SF Supporter
Meditation, exercise, and talk therapy all will help and reduce anxiety. But the one thing not mentioned was affirmations. You just say them to yourself twice a day and in time they reduce anxiety. They are easy to use and don't require a lot of effort. You can make-up your own affirmations or choose from the many available on the net. Here are some examples, they are the ones I have used over the years and they worked for me.

http://aleroy.com/Affirm.htm

PrincessPure

Meditation, exercise, and talk therapy all will help and reduce anxiety. But the one thing not mentioned was affirmations. You just say them to yourself twice a day and in time they reduce anxiety. They are easy to use and don't require a lot of effort. You can make-up your own affirmations or choose from the many available on the net. Here are some examples, they are the ones I have used over the years and they worked for me.

http://aleroy.com/Affirm.htm
This seems cool, thanks!

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00