Ok, I am still reading, it seems, yay.
Rebecca was great, I loved the writing in particular. I wish the main character was a little more interesting, or stronger, less naive from the start (she develops), but the book achieves what it intends to with her, so it's not a real complaint.
I am currently reading A Month in the Country by J. L. Carr. Despite being written in the 80s, I am struggling with the vocabulary in this one a bit, which pulls me out of the story and the sense of place it's trying to create. It's very short though, so I'll finish soon.
My October big classic book is Middlemarch by George Eliot! I can't wait.
Rebecca was great, I loved the writing in particular. I wish the main character was a little more interesting, or stronger, less naive from the start (she develops), but the book achieves what it intends to with her, so it's not a real complaint.
I am currently reading A Month in the Country by J. L. Carr. Despite being written in the 80s, I am struggling with the vocabulary in this one a bit, which pulls me out of the story and the sense of place it's trying to create. It's very short though, so I'll finish soon.
My October big classic book is Middlemarch by George Eliot! I can't wait.