• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

What book are you currently reading?

Callousgirl

Semper Occultus
Since it is Tuesday, I stopped at the bookstore and got these books.

The House of Government

The House of Government
A Saga of the Russian Revolution
Yuri Slezkine
Princeton University Press, Published 2017

End Times

End Times
A Brief Guide to the end of the World
Bryan Walsh
hachette Books, Published 2019

inconspicuous consumption

inconspicuous consumption
the environmental impact you don't know you have
tatiani schlossberg
Grand Central Publishing (Hachett Book Group), Published 2019

Prince Albert

Prince Albert
The Man who saved the Monarchy
A N Wilson
Harper Collins, Published 2019 (USA)
Atlantic Books, Published 2019 (UK)
 

Callousgirl

Semper Occultus
Was at the bookstore today, and got some books ...

THE FORCE

THE FORCE
The Legendary Special OPS Unit and WWII'S Mission Impossible
Saul David
hachette Books, Published 2019

The ECONOMISTS' HOUR

The ECONOMISTS' HOUR
False Prophets, Free Markets, and the Fracture of Society
Binyamin Appelbaum
Little, Brown and Company, Published 2019

THE KING'S WAR

THE KING'S WAR
The Friendship of George VI and Lionel Logue during World War II
Peter Conradi and Mark Logue
Pegasus Books, Published 2019

The Unsettling of Europe

The Unsettling of Europe
How Migration Reshaped a Continent
Peter Gatrell
Basic Books, Published 2019

THE ANARCHY

THE ANARCHY
The East India Company, Corporate Violence, and the Pillage of an Empire
William Dalrymple
Bloomabuary Publishing, Published 2019
 

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
@Callousgirl, I’m impressed by your reading list. Do you read on a tablet, paper books, or perhaps listen to audio books? If you read (as opposed to listening to audio books), what system of speed reading do you use? How do you retain all the information? Do you make notes as you go along?

I’m astonished and quite envious of your reading talents!
 

Callousgirl

Semper Occultus
@Callousgirl, I’m impressed by your reading list. Do you read on a tablet, paper books, or perhaps listen to audio books? If you read (as opposed to listening to audio books), what system of speed reading do you use? How do you retain all the information? Do you make notes as you go along?

I’m astonished and quite envious of your reading talents!
Do not read with a tablet, nor, audio books. Most of the books are hardback books, and I read less than 10 books that are softback in a given year. In a calendar year, I read around 180 to 210 books a year. I do not use speed reading, and with a hardback, I read around 30 pages per hour with books with 400 pages or more, and around 40 pages per hour with books with less than 400 pages. I do not read the acknowledgements of a book. Still, I take a new book, find the last page I would be reading: then divide that number in half, and if it is say page 234.5 I would round up to 235. Will place a mark on the page number to inform me the page is the halfway marker of the book. When I pass it, it gives me confidence the book is half over. I also do something else with me books. I will place the month and year on the book front page, as September 2019 will be 9/19. I will also place the center number of the pages, and the max amount of reading pages on the book too. Say I have 20 books for the month, I will place them in order from the lowest amount of pages to read in a book to the max amount of pages in a book. So, the first book to read would be as a example : 625, 604, 589, 545, 530, 498 down to the smallest amount of pages in a book. Right now I am reading books I got in June 2019. The book I am reading has more than 400 pages, and there are two books left with 400 pages or more. When they are done, I would be reading books with 300 pages or more, than 200 pages or more until the last book with the fewest pages. From time to time, I would be reading a book out of order: but that is uncommon.

I do take notes from a book, but I only take reason and page number. Will say, I am very good with retaining information from books. Picking up a book I have read a few months in the past, or, a number of years in the past: the memories and information comes back to me. Thinking of a book, that is a little harder. That is the reason I never sell any of my books. Do not think I have a above average reading talents. It is just that, I have always been a bookworm, and I would feel uneasy if I spent a single day without reading a book. Not reading in a single day, would be like not eating of drinking for the day.
 

Witty_Sarcasm

🦄🦜🧁Rainbow Unicorn (Deluxe Edition) ®🌈🌝💖
SF Supporter
Amazingly I'm not reading anything right now. If I get my ass to the library sometime this century, then I can get my usual 6 books.
 

Baywasp

I know the world turns and it will turn on me
SF Supporter
Fell asleep reading my Forensic Psychology textbook, Psychological Evaluations for the Courts, by Melton, et al., 4th edition. (Maybe it doesn't count because it's for school. We're not even reading the whole way through. But idk.) It's a bit dull but I think I mostly fell asleep because I haven't been sleeping well at night lately.
 

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
Do not read with a tablet, nor, audio books. Most of the books are hardback books, and I read less than 10 books that are softback in a given year. In a calendar year, I read around 180 to 210 books a year. I do not use speed reading, and with a hardback, I read around 30 pages per hour with books with 400 pages or more, and around 40 pages per hour with books with less than 400 pages. I do not read the acknowledgements of a book. Still, I take a new book, find the last page I would be reading: then divide that number in half, and if it is say page 234.5 I would round up to 235. Will place a mark on the page number to inform me the page is the halfway marker of the book. When I pass it, it gives me confidence the book is half over. I also do something else with me books. I will place the month and year on the book front page, as September 2019 will be 9/19. I will also place the center number of the pages, and the max amount of reading pages on the book too. Say I have 20 books for the month, I will place them in order from the lowest amount of pages to read in a book to the max amount of pages in a book. So, the first book to read would be as a example : 625, 604, 589, 545, 530, 498 down to the smallest amount of pages in a book. Right now I am reading books I got in June 2019. The book I am reading has more than 400 pages, and there are two books left with 400 pages or more. When they are done, I would be reading books with 300 pages or more, than 200 pages or more until the last book with the fewest pages. From time to time, I would be reading a book out of order: but that is uncommon.

I do take notes from a book, but I only take reason and page number. Will say, I am very good with retaining information from books. Picking up a book I have read a few months in the past, or, a number of years in the past: the memories and information comes back to me. Thinking of a book, that is a little harder. That is the reason I never sell any of my books. Do not think I have a above average reading talents. It is just that, I have always been a bookworm, and I would feel uneasy if I spent a single day without reading a book. Not reading in a single day, would be like not eating of drinking for the day.
Um, just, WOW! That’s impressive. :)
 

Callousgirl

Semper Occultus
Fell asleep reading my Forensic Psychology textbook, Psychological Evaluations for the Courts, by Melton, et al., 4th edition. (Maybe it doesn't count because it's for school. We're not even reading the whole way through. But idk.) It's a bit dull but I think I mostly fell asleep because I haven't been sleeping well at night lately.
Textbooks, they say so much to say so little
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top