• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

What book are you currently reading?

Callousgirl

Semper Occultus
Went to the bookstore and got ...

AGENT M

AGENT M
THE LIVES AND SPIES OF MI5'S KNIGHT
Henry Hemming
Copyright 2017 by Henry Hemming
Public Affairs, Published 2019

DOUBLE CROSSED

DOUBLE CROSSED
THE MISSIONARIES WHO SPIED FOR THE UNITED STATES DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR
Matthew Avery Sutton
Basic Books, Published 2019

THE BORGIAS

THE BORGIAS
Power and Fortune
Paul Strathern
Pegasus Books, Published 2019
 

Cagla

romantic bastard
Well @Auri , I do not think the author likes the TV series, or fans dressing up as Handmaids. She quotes herself with the same sentence in the book: "Handmaids are sluts" and I really noticed that. In fact, I had to stop and read it over again, and again, and pause and reflect. When you said too short and fully develop the concept. It was like the Game of Thrones books condensed to 415 pages with the same amount of characters. The three female characters, their first name changes from birth to the name they will use. And they do not have a last name. Two of the female characters, they discover they are half sisters, and when they get to Canada and find their birth mother. Their birth mother does not have any name, and what does she look like, just think a female and that is it. If I a right, there is four female characters with the name Martha and without a last name.
I don't even know what you are talking about but wow you're so smart 😅
 

Cagla

romantic bastard
Guevara: it is a irony that his image is sold on t-shirts for $27.95, and proving that capitalism will sell anything to make a profit
Yeah that's sucks. They can't do anything about it.... And I am really impressed. Actually I adore you. I always considered myself as someone who only enjoys reading in life but hey I'm not a book worm compared to you. You're a hero. I wish I could read as much as you. 🙂🌻 I wanna read satanic verses, muslims killed people because of that book. Couldn't find in in Turkish. The authors English is a bit....tough for me. I do want to read it. Do you have any opinion about it :)?
 

Callousgirl

Semper Occultus
I wanna read satanic verses, muslims killed people because of that book. Couldn't find in in Turkish. The authors English is a bit....tough for me. I do want to read it. Do you have any opinion about it :)?
Thank you for your kind words @Cagla

When I was around 13, I did pick up a copy of The Satanic Verses from Salman Rushdie. Salman Rushdie is a complex personality, and, his impact is not really for the common population. His impact is with the international community, with political leadership and the intelligentsia. Even that I am in a think-tank that deals with marketing of books to be released two to five years from now. Reading any of his books is going to have a mixed outcome with any reader. Looking at it with the eyes of after 9/11, I would have to say the book is insulting to the Muslim religion. If someone wanted to have a introduction to the Middle East, I would not read the book until I have a better understanding of the culture and history. If read to early, the actions of the reader could become counterproductive. It would be like having a introduction about America, and you give the reader Uncle Tom's Cabin. If you do not understand the subject, if you do not have a open mind, reading the book can be counterproductive.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top