• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

What book are you currently reading?

Dark111

FORMER SF SUPPORTER
I'm a big fan of horror fiction and I recently got into James Herbert. Guy's been around for decades but I never got around to his books. So I'm reading 'Once' and there's this hilarious masturbating fairy in it. I think he was going for some creepy, erotic angle but Jaysus, this was hilarious to me. Can't take the book seriously now. Fuck sake, if you're gonna do horror, don't put masturbating fairies in it.
 

Dark111

FORMER SF SUPPORTER
"The logic of nihilism leads inexorably to the Abyss. He who will not return to truth must follow error 'til it's end." ~ Nihilism - The Root of the Revolution in the Modern Age, Eugene(Seraphim) Rose.

I'm just on the final pages of this book now: 'Nihilism - The Root of the Revolution in the Modern Age' by Eugen Rose and overall a very enjoyable read. It's very much a traditionalist critique of the modern world, from the enlightenment up to the modern age and how everything fits together.

This book is only just over a 100 pages long, it's two This was actually to be the beginning of the magnus opus by Rose but he passed away before getting much more finished. I found this a very insightful book on the dialectic of nihilism.

So who was this Eugene Seraphim Rose? He was an American Orthodox monk, writer, philosopher. Raised a protestant, in his adulthood he became very atheistic and a follower of Nietzsche but later developed a keen interest in eastern mysticism, daoism, buddhism and completed a masters degree in oriental languages. He was was resolute in his belief that certain texts should be read as they were originally written so if that meant mastering Mandarin, so be it. He became very convinced of the idea of a primordial truth, that all religious traditions are individual instantiations of this one truth and perennial philosophy. It was during some time spent in a Russian Orthodox church that he claims to have had a deeply spiritual experience. He felt he had always been very much outside of most traditions, more as a philosopher studying them, but his experience in that church made him feel like he was coming home, and that this was the truth. And so he went on to become a great populalizer of orthodox Christianity.

In this book, Rose says fundamentally, nihilism is the rejection of fundamental truth. What I find interesting is how he talks about it as the dialectic of nihilism. He pinpoints 4 stages of this dialectic but at the same time, these stages are not all all separate stages from one another, but they follow each other logically and they build on one another. For Rose, they all come from the same source of nihilistic relativism. All in all, a good read.
 

Dante

Life-long ponderer.. and Git.
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Expeditionary Force Book 9: "Valkyrie"
By Craig Alanson

Great series of books, I have charged through them in a few months, though the sudden change in tone halfway through the first book is a little jarring at first, but even through it was good before, it is so much better afterwards.
 

Aurelia

πŸ”₯ A Fire Inside πŸ”₯
SF Supporter
Currently reading (well, they're audiobooks, but it still counts...I'm lazy--sue me) Everything is Fucked: A Book About Hope by Mark Manson and Calm the Fuck Down by Sarah Knight.

Yes, books with the word "fuck" in it immediately catch my attention. Did you really expect anything more of me (those who know me even a little bit)?
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top