What is love?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HappyAZaClaM

A chemical reaction that drastically impairs
your sense of good judgment
in that instance 'Love' meaning romantic,passionate, man and woman,
falling in love type love? yeah, oft times, it impairs the judgement.

what about love for your dog? or your parents? that's not really
something that should drastically impair ones judgement, is it?

In spite of that, love's a nice feeling.
it can be. it can also be a drag. hypothetically, if it is romantic love
by one person and unrequited, that is not good.

but in a general sense, love is a good thing. I can't really disagree with that
or nitpick it to oblivion.

H

HappyAZaClaM

funnily enough most animals know what species they are by looking at the parents, then looking for similar later in life, thats why frogs dont breed with toads etc, also why when breeding hybrid falcons (apart from AI) what we do is let a gyr raise a peregrine chick and a peregrine raise a gyr chick, the gyr chick thinks its a peregrine and the peregrine chick thinks its a gyr, so when they see each other they believe they are the same species and they will readily breed.
Its a clever quirk of nature, parents survived long enough to breed therefore they are the same species and have strong genes so look for similar to improve the chance of your own offsprings survival. their are many variables but basically we learn what to look for from our parents, although as i said that is putting it in very simple terms.
love for food is also an addiction although it is different, we have evolved for millions of years to seek out food with most fat, carbohydrates etc and its only very recent in human history we have had an abundance of food (in privelaged countries) and we cannot switch the gene off that tells us to seek that food out, with that food being the best chance of survival in the past our body came up with a clever conception (also used to test food for toxicity etc) which is taste, by making it seem to taste 'nice' and by releasing a higher level of dopamines in the brain we will actively seek it out more to satisfy this 'addiction' we have.
to find things pleasant is not to love them and human concept of love is extremely complex but the source of 'love' is not.
also going back to the parent issue.....try some simple maths, work out how many ancestors you should have going back only 500 years. incest has been extremely common throughout history, it is only recent that it was deemed wrong (thank f**k) and it does still happen all over the world. ancestors should rightly be called incestors:blink:
it would be easy enough to agree that love is not something that is
tangible. on that note, everyone is going to vary a little on how
they respond to a question like the OP posed. and a week from now,
every one of us may or may not say something different. it depends on
how strongly one believes what they perceive to be love is ingrained.
everything and everone is in a state of flux. anyway...

I don't think it can be described in absolute terms. not really. and I
wouldn't discount anyones comments about the chemical factor. still,
what came first, the chemical or the love?

just as depression for example. ones brain chemistry is F'ed up. did
that happen FIRST or as a result of the depression?

in terms of survival of the species, that is bilogicol of course. that does not
preclude the premise or possibility of an intangible...sorry, department of the
redundancy department, feeling or emotion called love. biology and love are
not mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

bhawk

firstly to the poster who claimed that there is no hard evidence backing up what i have said- ARE YOU ON CRACK? there is loads of information, all out there and peer reviewed.
there are simple things you can do to see how simple life really is, if you have a bitch close to the end of her gestation period and you hide a recording of a puppy yelping she will ignore it blindly, yet as soon as she starts giving birth if you repeat it she will bolt up to find the missing 'puppy'.
Also if you hatch a chicken under a falcon the falcon will not notice the difference between falcon chicks which are atrocial and the chicken chick which is precocial, the falcon will treat the chicken like a falcon trying to feed it meat and being extremely gentle with it, yet if that chick steps one centimetre out of her scrape (nest) she will dart forward, kill it and feed it to her young.
Also upon approaching their scrape the falcons legs (from the hocks to her feet) become paralysed and she walks on her hocks which stops the falcon smashing her eggs, i have seen the falcons panic and still not be able to use their legs resulting in them falling of their nest ledge (only a few feet from the floor so no damage.)
biology has many 'switches' inbuilt in all animals, certain stimuli turn certain switches on and off. look at the smells babies emit, we are often not even aware of things that direct our behaviour in everyday life. if we were more complex than animals advertising would not work.
If there is anything other than chemicals please show evidence backing this up.
If anyone here can prove anything that is not natural exists then i will give them all my money and my house too!
there is still a lot to be explained in the world but i believe the source of love has been answered, tis a bit sad but it dont make it any less a great experience for me.

bhawk

:) yes. they are one in the same. I think it'd be more appropriate to say I believe in Love than I believe in God.
ok i dont wat to sound offensive in any way i just want to know what brings someone to this conclusion?
is it personal experience, being told so, factual evidence or just a blind belief?

Eric

:) yes. they are one in the same. I think it'd be more appropriate to say I believe in Love than I believe in God.
God surely loved all the men he drowned in the flood and the men from Sodom and Gomorrah, along with the men who were killed in the plagues of Egypt. Very loving deity indeed.

bhawk

God surely loved all the men he drowned in the flood and the men from Sodom and Gomorrah, along with the men who were killed in the plagues of Egypt. Very loving deity indeed.
i dont want this to turn into a religous debate, just wondering how people come to such ideas, purely out of curiousity

Eric

i dont want this to turn into a religous debate, just wondering how people come to such ideas, purely out of curiousity
Oh don't mind me, I'm just disgusted at the idea of God being an ever-loving person when such events are ignored by religious people.

In direct answer to your question, I'll assume it's either personal experience or a blind belief (which is most likely derived from being told so).

If you consider factual evidence (assuming you believe in your religion's teachings whilst considering such things as facts) and believe in the Bible, there's an obvious contradiction between God's deity form and God's human form. The former is merciless whereas the latter is filled with love and understanding.

bhawk

Oh don't mind me, I'm just disgusted at the idea of God being an ever-loving person when such events are ignored by religious people.

In direct answer to your question, I'll assume it's either personal experience or a blind belief (which is most likely derived from being told so).

If you consider factual evidence (assuming you believe in your religion's teachings whilst considering such things as facts) and believe in the Bible, there's an obvious contradiction between God's deity form and God's human form. The former is merciless whereas the latter is filled with love and understanding.
unless we ask the people that believe he is love then anything else we say is pressumption, thats why im asking, to hear it from the horses mouth so to say

Boratz

[/COLOR

Love is a wrong spelling of dove . A bird during a wedding bought to fly away. Then when you get divorced you call it as what a crod.
]

colt45

Love is just what is left over.

Once a person sees you for all that you ever were and are. If they look at you and say something, "I can not take not being without you" .Then I feel that is true love."

After a long time relationship can only strenthen or they can just fall appart. it is the test of time that make that love stronger.

I must be going on too much>

cinZamurai

Love is when the ego shuts up so you can connect and bond with yourself or someone else on a deeper level.

So many learned to love when they discoverd that some people really cared intensively for them and as a consequence many of them have been ready to love themselves and others. They have then often been taken advantage of. They have unknowingly and painfully been teaching love to people that did not know or had forgotten how to love. It is a sacrificial way to save a person as the pain for someone who connected in hopes of bonding and charing for a life time just to have the connection broken is great. They might how ever feel comfort in knowing that the love they gave ripples throe the world still today and will for a very very very long future. And don't worry about the person forgetting, with learning of love comes a gratitude and a purpose. Love for me is to actually care for someone or oneself in a real way, this is highly contagious and good.

Boratz

There is no such thing as love. You idiots. If you really do then nobody shouldn't be whining that there are no people in their lives who " loves " them. Then there should be No Suicide Chorum..:laugh::laugh::laugh:

bhawk

There is no such thing as love. You idiots. If you really do then nobody shouldn't be whining that there are no people in their lives who " loves " them. Then there should be No Suicide Chorum..:laugh::laugh::laugh:
that makes no sense! because some people feel they aint loved then love doesnt exist??????WTF!
next you'll be saying cos some people aint ate a savaloy then savaloys dont exist.
love exists although i dont think it includes anything metaphysical and i think (with it being backed up by scientific data) that it is a feeling born out of necessity for a social creature like ourselves to succeed.

F

frizziidizzle

'Love is like oxygen, all you need is love' - Moulin rouge.

Love is a human instinct so we can make babies.

Ziggy

Antiquitie's Friend
I could say things that make people angry or happy and you could say similar things to me. So you form an opinion, you think I 'I like Ziggy' or 'I can't stand him' and that makes it sound like there's some sort of connection there. But you'll never know or understand me and I'll never know or understand you, so no matter what we may feel, there will never be a connection there.

So basically I can't care about you, I can only care about a mental image of you that I've constructed in my head, and in a similar way you can never care about me. But we don't like that, we long for that connection, so I love God and God loves me. I love my cat, my cat loves me, I love my xbox and my xbox loves me. These are simply connections I've made up in my head, so I can love whatever I like, it makes no difference, it's just a delusion that my mind desires. I guess when 2 people share that delusion you can call it love.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00