What Time Of Year Do You Feel Most Suicidal?

I know questions like this have been asked before, but I was curious what time of year if any are you more suicidal than others, and how do you deal with it in positive ways? I just googled the question 'What time of year do most suicides occur?' and the answer I saw was in Spring time, like Apr, May, and June(In the Northern Hemisphere). I myself definitely have certain suicidal patterns that appear to me throughout the year, I will give my example.

I have had two major attempts on my life, and one was in December(Winter) and the other was in May(Spring). Although I generally feel depressed and suicidal throughout the whole year, there are times when I normally do a little better or a bit worse. Last June, I had a breakdown and went to see my doctor for being suicidal. He said to me he was surprised I get more suicidal around May/June, because, "Winter is when most people feel depressed or suicidal." And at the time, I was thinking he was and is full of shit because I've felt bad and have known others who get suicidal more in warm months than the colder ones. In other words, I believe it has more to do with a person's immediate circumstances on if they feel and will act on suicide than what time of year it is, even though the time of year still affects them.

It may sound silly, but my reasoning is this; Although I will act on suicide any time of the year if things get bad enough, I don't really want to do it in the winter because:
1. People will have to deal with my passing/burial/funeral in cold and snow. Who wants to do that?
2. People will have to move my stuff out of where I live in the cold and snow. That sucks, who wants to move in the winter.
3. Suicide at Christmas and/or around the holidays? Ya, that would be great. What a crappy burden for me to put on others, I can't do that.
4. My method I'm planning on has to be done outdoors. I'd much rather do it on a warm, sunny day(or have more courage to do it) than on a crappy, cold weather day.

So right now it's January and I'm feeling better than I have, well, probably since last January. But I guarantee as soon as March, April, and especially May comes around, I'm going to feel worse again. The B-day(August) and September will also be bad too for me. So do you have any seasonal patterns, what do you think?

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
i don't have seasonal patterns and never reallly did but some people do. from what i understand suicide rates go up around the holidays and winter in particular because of less sunlight. but most suicides have little to do with season

mike......*hug*shake

I think I'm more prone to suicidal thoughts/depression during the winter, probably because of the lack of sunlight and school stress, but I still struggle with it throughout the rest of the year, especially during the summer where there's not much of a routine to distract me from my thoughts. It's like during the school year I feel overwhelmed by how busy I am and that makes me suicidal, but then during the summer I have too much free time and it gives my brain too much space to get dark, and I haven't figured out a good/healthy balance of rest and work yet.

seabird

meandering home
SF Supporter
While I get very sad for winter, I generally fight off acting on suicidal thoughts. For similar reasons as you @I Love Tomorrow . My worst time is definitely summer. It's when my first attempt happened due to a trauma which I don't want to explain. Also my birthday is in summer, in the northern hemisphere. I've had several winters in a row now due to travel. I dread this coming summer.

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
While I get very sad for winter, I generally fight off acting on suicidal thoughts. For similar reasons as you @I Love Tomorrow . My worst time is definitely summer. It's when my first attempt happened due to a trauma which I don't want to explain. Also my birthday is in summer, in the northern hemisphere. I've had several winters in a row now due to travel. I dread this coming summer.
*hug*shake

MisterBGone

✅ Dancer
SF Supporter
Summer, but it's basically only b/c... like right now: in the DEAD of Winter; I sort of feel like, I'm "supposed to feel-like this!" (Just in terms of~)* / my mood, let's say, or however you'd want to say--matches, or more perfectly 'mirrors,' the weather. Whereas w/the Summer: it is the Direct OPPOSITE of that! And so, every body is running around outside, & enjoying the sun, and going to the ocean or the lake, and swimming - et cetera~ // etcetera* & so, then, when I just sit inside & hibernate, or live like a bat. Then that is when I feel at my most rotten -- then. ( ;

Jwjba

For me, it's late summer and late spring, August and May in particular. The only pattern i see is that in the late summer there's my birthday, which i despise, and also it's getting closer to another year of studying. Spring is my least favourite season, and the late spring feels awfully nostalgic and depressing, so it wrecks up my mood to the lowest

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
thinking more on this topic i would say fall is the worst for us. that is when we put our 64 dodge away for winter storage. my wife and i always get a little depressed. it's more than a car it's a hobby we are passionate about. that's why the spring is always better because we take her out of storage

mike

Ok thank you all for your replies. It sounds like to me that it really has to do with the person and their unique circumstances more than time of year. While I'm generally worse in warm months, I agree that December and Christmas time will generally get me down too.

especially during the summer where there's not much of a routine to distract me from my thoughts
then during the summer I have too much free time and it gives my brain too much space to get dark
I think there is definitely something to that, I feel that too.

Several of you also said you get depressed around the birthday time, which I can relate too. I'm sorry I wish it wasn't that way.

when I just sit inside & hibernate, or live like a bat
Ha, yes I agree. But I'm not sleeping upside down yet lol

I guess the only thing I would say that helps me is having the awareness that I'm worse around certain times of the year, and for that reason maybe to mentally prepare a bit before they come if possible.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
@foreverforgotten is on to something here. Having been around SF for some years now, I see a real pattern of people arriving here during their birthdays. Something about 'making it another year' or 'starting another year' combined with maybe not having friends or family to celebrate with or whatever really brings a lot of people to the site. People also show up again in the few days before their birthday after not having been here for the preceeding year.

Anyway. For me, it's November. No reason that I know of and Novemeber isn't even a bad month! It's my sons birthday and my own and I'm not wrecked about either of those things. When I lived in the US, it had one of my favorite holidays in it so that was good and it was phenomenal weather there. (I mean, now I've lost the holiday and the weather but that's only been the last couple years) I didn't even know I had a pattern of November depression until I was pointed out about 10 years ago.

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Very interesting. I guess it is possible to have a cycle which is personal to each of us. I also find birthdays difficult, I used to hide behind it also being my Dads birthday so would work on celebrating his instead. I won’t be able to do that anymore so I think birthdays will be even harder knowing he’s no longer with me. After 54 years of celebrating our birthdays together my 55th will be on my own. 😢
I think my main depressive episodes are more to do with the day to day events. If I have a particularly traumatic, difficult or stressful day, I will manage to cope on that day, but crash a day or two later. So I don’t really think there is anything seasonal for me.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$130.00
Goal
$255.00