What's the one thing that made you smile today ?

kdm

SF Supporter
Texas High Schoolers Design and Build Prosthetic Arm for Student So She Can Play the Cello

BBWEWSy.jpg
Kayla Arqueta was born without her left hand and part of her forearm, though that didn’t stop her from auditioning for the orchestra at Austin Middle School in Irving.
“Kayla came to our tryout night and she told me that she wanted to be in orchestra,” the school’s orchestra director Carly Addison said in a video produced by the school district.
Not discouraged, Addison took to Google, and found the story of a young man who’d learned to play the cello after he was given a prosthetic arm.
After realizing that the blueprints for the arm design were available for free online, Addison reached out to Nimitz High School engineering teacher Dwight Davison, whose classroom had recently acquired three 3D printers.
“He was like, what an awesome opportunity for Kayla, what an awesome opportunity for my students,” Addison recalled.

With a group of volunteer students on board, the class began creating a design made especially for Kayla so that she’d be as comfortable as possible.

“Band is part of my life, and I have a family that I’ve made in band, and I love all of them,” student Arianna Tovar told KXAS of why she wanted to help Kayla. “I know she could make a family out of what she wants to do and if she has a passion to do it, I think she should go for it.”

The engineering students’ design eventually proved successful, and they were able to print the prosthetic and outfit Kayla.
“You can see how empowered she’s been by being accepted and encouraged by all of the other musicians in her classroom,” Addison said in the video.
Kayla, meanwhile, has been thrilled with her band experience, and has already made new friends who she says make her “feel normal.”
“I learned that people are willing to help, and that it’s okay to be different,” she said. “I would like other students to know that life is challenging, but everyone is going to love you for who you are.”

36811668-smiley-face-with-a-positive-emotion-vector-.jpg

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Texas High Schoolers Design and Build Prosthetic Arm for Student So She Can Play the Cello

View attachment 28037
Kayla Arqueta was born without her left hand and part of her forearm, though that didn’t stop her from auditioning for the orchestra at Austin Middle School in Irving.
“Kayla came to our tryout night and she told me that she wanted to be in orchestra,” the school’s orchestra director Carly Addison said in a video produced by the school district.
Not discouraged, Addison took to Google, and found the story of a young man who’d learned to play the cello after he was given a prosthetic arm.
After realizing that the blueprints for the arm design were available for free online, Addison reached out to Nimitz High School engineering teacher Dwight Davison, whose classroom had recently acquired three 3D printers.
“He was like, what an awesome opportunity for Kayla, what an awesome opportunity for my students,” Addison recalled.

With a group of volunteer students on board, the class began creating a design made especially for Kayla so that she’d be as comfortable as possible.

“Band is part of my life, and I have a family that I’ve made in band, and I love all of them,” student Arianna Tovar told KXAS of why she wanted to help Kayla. “I know she could make a family out of what she wants to do and if she has a passion to do it, I think she should go for it.”

The engineering students’ design eventually proved successful, and they were able to print the prosthetic and outfit Kayla.
“You can see how empowered she’s been by being accepted and encouraged by all of the other musicians in her classroom,” Addison said in the video.
Kayla, meanwhile, has been thrilled with her band experience, and has already made new friends who she says make her “feel normal.”
“I learned that people are willing to help, and that it’s okay to be different,” she said. “I would like other students to know that life is challenging, but everyone is going to love you for who you are.”

View attachment 28039
very inspiring which proves two points. 1. if you try you can succeed and 2. there are good people left in the world...mike..*hug*shake

kdm

SF Supporter
Woman donates nearly 600 Barbies with prosthetic legs to St. Louis hospital

A former patient from Shriners Hospitals for Children returned to the hospital to make a special donation.

BBWPspu.jpg
Ashleigh Bentz, who uses a prosthesis, donated nearly 600 Barbie dolls with prosthetics and wheelchairs to patients.
“I broke my Barbie dolls legs so they would look like me. my mom hated that. drove her nuts. she spent her hard-earned money on Barbie doll. I would turn around and break it because they wouldn’t look like me but now they do,” Bentz said.
“My sister bought my Barbie for me around my birthday and I’ve kept her on my desk since then,” Bentz said. “Growing up, the only way my Barbie looked like me was if I broke her leg off. I can’t imagine what having one (with a prosthetic leg) would have done for my self-esteem back then.”

Bentz got the idea from a girl in Massachusetts.
READ MORE:Teen donates more than 600 Barbies with prosthetics like hers to hospital
Connor Maine, a patient at Shriners, is one of the patients who received a doll.
“I’m going to give the Barbie doll to my sister because it means so much to me because it gives an idea to my sister no one is the same everyone is unique,” Maine said.

Elysse Applegate is from Uganda and received a doll that’s so much more than a toy.
“I love this place, everybody been so nice to me. the doctors and everybody the nurses I love this place,” Applegate said.
“Thanks to Ashleigh and her team, our hospital’s Barbie needs are more than fulfilled,” said Laura Teague, director of Recreational Therapy. “We will have Barbies to give patients for years to come!”

download.jpg

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Woman donates nearly 600 Barbies with prosthetic legs to St. Louis hospital

A former patient from Shriners Hospitals for Children returned to the hospital to make a special donation.

View attachment 28079
Ashleigh Bentz, who uses a prosthesis, donated nearly 600 Barbie dolls with prosthetics and wheelchairs to patients.
“I broke my Barbie dolls legs so they would look like me. my mom hated that. drove her nuts. she spent her hard-earned money on Barbie doll. I would turn around and break it because they wouldn’t look like me but now they do,” Bentz said.
“My sister bought my Barbie for me around my birthday and I’ve kept her on my desk since then,” Bentz said. “Growing up, the only way my Barbie looked like me was if I broke her leg off. I can’t imagine what having one (with a prosthetic leg) would have done for my self-esteem back then.”

Bentz got the idea from a girl in Massachusetts.
READ MORE:Teen donates more than 600 Barbies with prosthetics like hers to hospital
Connor Maine, a patient at Shriners, is one of the patients who received a doll.
“I’m going to give the Barbie doll to my sister because it means so much to me because it gives an idea to my sister no one is the same everyone is unique,” Maine said.

Elysse Applegate is from Uganda and received a doll that’s so much more than a toy.
“I love this place, everybody been so nice to me. the doctors and everybody the nurses I love this place,” Applegate said.
“Thanks to Ashleigh and her team, our hospital’s Barbie needs are more than fulfilled,” said Laura Teague, director of Recreational Therapy. “We will have Barbies to give patients for years to come!”

View attachment 28081
Thank you for this story @kdm.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00