What's the point of life *religious discussion*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell i went from being depressed to being normal to being depressed, but one thing keeps bugging me... whatever i do, there is no answer to that question! So? Buddhism, Hinduism, Christianity, Judaism, Taoism, Hedonism, anything you offer, does it have an everlasting meaning?

We are born into an unfathomable existence, on a tiny patch of space called earth that is itself a speck of dust in the galaxy that is a speck of dust in the infinite universe, and not only that, but during your entire lifetspan, you will die on an even smaller patch of space on THAT Earth.

Anyone else thinks human being are just limited and death is "unfair"? Religious people, what's the point of "Heaven", "Hell" or "Brahman" or any other mind-concoctions? That's the one thing I never really got. I don't want to be reincarnated or reunite with any Brahman, i don't want to live a blissful existence that is in itself meaningless (isn't it bound to get repetitive as well or the catch-22 is that i'll experience incessant eternal orgasms and ergo will not have time to consider the meaninglessness of it all?), I have no desire to commit to a life of hedonism here cause that is boring as well.

So... since life is an inexplicable mystery and a torture chamber, how cruel is that we are alive? The more I think of it, the more I realize that religion does not bring meaning to life but rather, further consolidates the nihilistic meaninglessness of it all!, did it ever happen, that a guy hates Atheism as much as he hates Religion, but reaches that conclusion since in the face of one-sideness and daily monotony of life, there is nothing better to do?

In short terms, how is it possible for someone like me (don't know if there are any others) to live if two of the biggest alternatives in the world (Atheism, Theism and everything inbetween) are not satisfactory?

So if I don't belong to any category, then whats the point of waking up every morning? From that point on, it seems as suicide is the best way to cork out your brain, no responsibility, no depression, no aspirations, worries or anything else, isn't that the perfect drug?

How vain it all is. Every human category. Love, Sex, Art, etc etc. People getting fatter, people getting leaner, hunks & jocks vs pickup artists and the usual joes..., movies, learning... working... why? who asked that "something" to bring me and countless others who wondered about the same question to to that existence? Why did I have to be coaxed? Why not just give it all to us at the outset, at least in that case the meaninglessness could be worth something until you're dead? Why does medicine exist, why do our bodies fail, why is there anything at all, and that magical "anything" created a world that is so far away from being "fun"? Am I ever gonna get the answer to that or should I, as had been advised here countless times, "wizen up" and self-indulge in the mystery? but what would be the point of that?

Guys, do u understand what i'm trying to say here? Without any appeal to ignorance or pity, why is it that no matter how good you try to think the world is, how optimistic everything is and how purposeful the world is, how everything is going according to plan, how you're gonna end up being successful, with a wonderful career and a great family, how "good" people are and how much happiness you wish everyone would be showered with - the thoughts you try to nail into your brain, the mental masturbation of having to wake up everyday to the same "existence" seem like such an unenticing prospect? (no matter how well-of and high-rolling you are)

Is suicide really the only option here? Why are the suicide rates so high pretty much in every developed country (Russia, Japan, US, etc)if everyone else gets such an immense kick out of life?

p.s
oh and btw, depression has nothing to do with me writing this post right now. that has been my opinion for a long time, but i've desperately grappled with myself trying to conceal it. Can't do that anymore. Could we please discuss this issue refraining from medical advices or any of the other trite banalities that i've already googled the net for? Philosophically speaking, what's the other emergency exists other than Religion or lack of it?:no:

I

ihavenosoul

Well, you say you dont like waking up because our lives are meaningless? Because we live on a spec of dust on another spec of dust in the infinite universe? Well i would think that would be a reason to wake up in the morning. To see if someday we would be able to explore the galaxy, to lean something new about the universe. And you talked about religion not working for you and atheism not working for you? I had the same problem, i eventually worked it out and found a religion that worked for me, there are over 150 religioins out there, there has to be one that you agree with. For me it was Satanism, not trying to convert you or anything but if you want to know more about it just go to churchofsatan.com. Also when you said life is a torture chamber, i would consider yourself lucky to be alive. If you think life is a torture chamber then what do you think all the people starving in china and africa think? But they still live on, dont commit suicide and keep on living hoping that tomorrow will be a better day. And if you think existence is meaningless i would just think, what would it be like not to exist?? It wouldnt be burning in hell, living in heaven, or just seeing complete darkness forever. It would be non existence, oyu wouldnt see anything, feel anything, hear anything. I would rather live in a world i thought saw boring and repetitive than to be non existent

I

ihavenosoul

Dude there is no way your quoting Crowley...... I thought i was like the only one here who read his stuff

Z

Ze'ev-Hayalim

Satanist since 01' partner, and I find the Golden Dawn to be very (if defunct) informative.

yeh.

anyone thinks self-deception counts as a purpose? because this thought of ambivalence and self-betray. sweet lord. i think i betrayed god and the devil so i was left alone. life's purpose i hope is self-deception so i can go in peace. i cant go or trust a single thought, because immediately it comes it's counterpart. was my personality designed to self-deception? like now i have no idea who's writing this. this isn't me. this is you. self deception all the way- i'v seen it all- shall the infinite take me at my mid twen years old of life- i love life, i love death. i love love.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sycotic_Sarah

No-one knows the meaning of life. It's not a logic or a fact so there isn't one although people give reasons they aren't exactly true meaning.

Thats my opinion....

Nez

Maybe we dont know the meaning of life (if there is any) cause life would seem meaningless after having found and "completed" (if possible) the meaning of life.

eih

i really doubt there's any particular meaning to life... some people find meaning in religeon... which like u kinda said isnt meaningful at all cause it kinda makes no sense...some people find meaning in doing absoultly nothing... its kinda a individual thing to find meaning..

it seems to me there is no point in life at all!!.. the only way our lives are reconized is through the people who exist at the same time we do and the future generations.. our lives will be forgotton by most future generations... and who even cares if its forgotton by other people... there just people in the same meaningless world.. BUT.. if u look at "normal" people.. who continue daily life seemingly happy... they seem to have a meaning to their life... I guess the meaning of life.. if anything.. is experienceing diffrent emotions and events... our own self satisfaction..greed...happyness...anger..sadness... and probably one that makes it seem worth while for a second.. love... so I dunno there might be some point

wow I have a feeling my post made no sense..:blink:

Enjoy the time you have? Live hard die young?...I dont know I think if you can get to a place of acceptance about trying to live a balanced life then thats a start - most of the "happy" people I know, or
happy most of the time people", that I know have well balanced lives - that seems to be a key.

I dont think there is a deeper meaning beyond that.

Your born
Your try and live a decent life
You die

End of story...but then theres the whole question of ghosts and past lives which mmm kind of leads me to believe there is something after life, and therefore a much wider picture.

Basically...nobody knows..

muslim

Hell i went from being depressed to being normal to being depressed, but one thing keeps bugging me... whatever i do, there is no answer to that question! So? Buddhism, Hinduism, Christianity, Judaism, Taoism, Hedonism, anything you offer, does it have an everlasting meaning?
dear dimasok
u mentioned amultiple religions in ur post and didnt mention ISLAM
Islam have a lot about the meaning of life
but first u must know who is allah

there is no God Who deserves to be worshiped except Allah

Knowing Allah`s Names and Attributes liberates man from worshiping any form

of creation because creation is weak and is in need of The Creator, Allah

The knowledge about Allaah leads man to know that he is created to live

according to Allah`s way as revealed to the last Messenger Muhammad

Certainly, man can have no better guidance than that which comes from the One

Who had perfected everything, and the One who Has no deficiency in Himself

and in His Attributes. The One Who is Ever-Living and Who does not die. There

can be no One better than the One Who Has no need for anything the One Who is

rich the Giver the One who, after all, controls man`s soul. Man is so poor to Him.

He is Allaah, the True and only God. Man can bring harm to himself if he seeks

other than Allaah for help. Allaah is the One Who can help man drive away any

harm for it cannot occur without His Will and His Power

so the begining is to know who is allah
and then u must know y we r created from allah opinion from(quran)

allah says in quran

Allah is He Who made the earth a resting-place for you and the heaven a canopy, and He formed you, then made goodly your forms, and He provided you with goodly things; that is Allah, your Lord; blessed then is Allah, the Lord of the worlds.

Allah is He besides Whom there is no god, the Everliving, the Self-subsisting by Whom all subsist; slumber does not overtake Him nor sleep; whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth is His; who is he that can intercede with Him but by His permission? He knows what is before them and what is behind them, and they cannot comprehend anything out of His knowledge except what He pleases, His knowledge extends over the heavens and the earth, and the preservation of them both tires Him not, and He is the Most High, the Great.

at last when u need help search for guidance allah says:

So when they ride in the ships they call upon Allah, being sincerely obedient to Him, but when He brings them safe to the land, lo! they associate others (with Him);

helena

Staff Alumni
"there is no God Who deserves to be worshiped except Allah"
How can you say things like that man?????
Where's the tolerance, the freedom of speech and thoughts, where's the
democracy?
for sure not in your Holy Book, if it's preaching things like that!!!!
The same religion that says women should think of themselves as aunts, like that the house, where their confinned to, will seem like a large world !!!!!

muslim

"there is no God Who deserves to be worshiped except Allah"
How can you say things like that man?????
Where's the tolerance, the freedom of speech and thoughts, where's the
democracy?
for sure not in your Holy Book, if it's preaching things like that!!!!
The same religion that says women should think of themselves as aunts, like that the house, where their confinned to, will seem like a large world !!!!!

the god u worship also is Allah
dont be sad
who is ur god????
tell me and we will talk freely and with democracy

Muslim, while, to you personally, the God we all worship is Allah, to others who do not believe in Allah, that is not true, in my book.

I'm not trying to be forceful - I'm just getting my point across.

To others, the God they worship may be someone, or something different.

Might you want to take this in mind in future?

ACRon

the god u worship also is Allah
dont be sad
who is ur god????
tell me and we will talk freely and with democracy

Stop stirring up hatred. If you have a problem with religion then seek answers within your book. real people come here to talk about there life, not have to defend their beleifs against people like you who demand to know information that is none of their business.

all you are doing is attacking people on SF who are friendly people who live in liberated countries. We will not be terrorised by your totalitarian views. people come here for support and you are just being downright rude

helena

Staff Alumni
I don't worship any god
I'm not sad, at least not about this
no one
thanks for the offer, but this is no subject I want to talk about, all I want is that people don't act that dogmatic and compulsive about ANY god or subject for that matter.
I respect your believes as any one other, I just don't think anyone has the right to say this is the one, this is the truth.

Darken

OP most of what you said is true. What is the point of life? no one knows, their is no point, evolution and life is just the effect of nature I think. I like the fact the the universe is infinite. Theirs so much to learn, to explore the mystery.

Why live? Me and most other atheist think that the reason you should live is because its a one time experience. You should make the best of what you have, however I still think suicide is an option. If theism and atheism both arent for you, that doesnt leave any thing lol. I personally just believe in reality and the truth.

Wether gods existed or not doesnt change the fact that existence is pointless. Being the weakling slave of some evil god for eternity is a repulsive belief to me and would be just as pointless as a atheistic world. I like reality much better. Believing any thing other than reality is pointless imo. Life sucks then you rot. awesome existence aye?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$130.00
Goal
$255.00