• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

when you're depressed what makes you feel better:

Aphorism

Well-Known Member
Talking to people in a more individual manner usually makes me feel better. I hate big groups and talking out in a very public situation, but when I'm just hanging out with one person I usually feel content.
 

nolonger

Well-Known Member
Talking to people in a more individual manner usually makes me feel better. I hate big groups and talking out in a very public situation, but when I'm just hanging out with one person I usually feel content.
Same.

I have one person I usually go to the movies with. I've never been in a big group. Maybe a couple of my siblings friends come along too, but I've known them for a few years. And 'family' usually out number the 'others'. I don't go out to things with people from school because I feel like some random that just hangs around(that's what happens in class if I decide to sit near a group of people).
 

Songstress

Well-Known Member
I haven't really found any good long term ones for me but here are some that will at least make me feel better for a few minutes

-Compliments
-Working: if it's a task I can lose myself into I feel better especially when it's something that has visible results that I'm happy with
-Singing
-Being on stage: I haven't done this one in a long time but when I'm on stage and can feel the crowd responding it's one of the greeatest feelings in the world. I miss hat feeling.
-Music
-Puppies: doesn't matter if they are really puppies or just a dog, it helps me feel better playing with them. Especially if I get kisses from them
-Cuddling
-Hugs
 

Flying Fox

Upside-down Hugger
SF Supporter
Watching a nice relaxing movie and reading if I am able to empty my mind enough to start. Getting outside in the sunshine (been feeling a bit better in a way now that we've had a few sunny and warm days). Engaging in something mindless like pruning the lavender and mexican sage. Gardening is good too (ought get out in the garden more).
 

icequeen

Well-Known Member
not sure if this is the right place...but after psych appt and doc appt today, i felt extra crap...and then coming on here cos of that..and then reading other posts and replying i found that made me "feel better" in as much it distracted me from my mind chatter so i guess doing that makes me feel better, i know its disassociating but we do what we have to do to survive another hour or day and if even one word of what i say gets thru to one person in a worse place than me thats good, means my life isnt totally wasted
 
i have 3 things in my life that makes it worth living.

1. My girlfriend

2. Music

3. Weed

:)

And really, before i was much more upset and depressed, but now.. having those 3 im fairly content.

ps: im not advocation drugs or anything, im just being honest.
 

Mr Stewart

Well-Known Member
Escaping into a book is the only thing that does the trick. With that it's not so much cheering me up as it is occupying my mind with something else. As for feeling happy, i have nothing for that.

I used to get so absorbed into drawing projects I would be able to detach myself from active thought about the world around me for weeks at a time. Since I graduated from art school and made an attempt at pro freelance work this is no longer an area of catharsis for me. Freelance means interpreting other people's ideas into a format of their request. I hate doing this. It wasn't at all what I wanted from the job. It's been four years since I started and right now my sole income comes from a part-time supplementary income job (non art related) I took right after getting my degree. Not because I can't make money with the art, but because the process of doing it pro kills any lingering love I have for it. I do my own independent stuff from time to time but that's been trailing off too. Sometimes I'll sit down at the drawing table and just fiddle with my pencils for an hour or two, wandering why I even bother anymore. The fact that I'm fairly skilled at it just makes this lack of motivation all the more painful.

I'm sorry that branched off into a story about one of the reasons I've wound up on this forum, wanting to die. :sad:
 
Gaming, music, movies and reading. I'm a sucker for fantasy. I think the common link between all of them is that they help me forget, for however short a time, whatever's getting to me.
 
I used to play RPG and watch anime coz it takes away all the problems but in the end it causes me more pain... I now just punch the pillow as what my doctor have said...
 
-beeing fit (exercising, eating right food)
-pamper myself
-listening to music
- working, reading, studying
-weed (alcohol makes me do things.... that i would like to kill myself because of it...)
-talk with people... if i'm in the mood :(
and
- WRITING LETTERS TO MYSELF! ...
Because no one knows me more than myself. (even tough i'm confused and i don't know who i am). I can tell myself all problems. And then i answer to myself, pretending like i'm my new best friend.
I start .. dear Hypothermia! And then i write about my feelings.
Later, i read the letter again. Then answer to it like the person i'm answering to isn't me, but a friend, that i love and i want to be happy (was hard at first).
I know it's wierd, but it really helped me. At least i found someone who is never tired of my talking :dead:
 

DawnB

Well-Known Member
I can't say what really works for me.

What can work for me sometimes will not work for me other times. For an example, I write fanfiction and like thinking about that characters and plots.

But then that won't work because 1) A problem I have may be related to fanfic and 2) Sometimes I don't have time to escape to my story (is a very busy person, you see).

Sleep helps, but then I'm deprived of sleep as well, either because too much is on my mind, or am pretty busy. Right now I'm stressing out for an exam, and I just want to sleep. Same thing with reading, watching movies, etc--because I can be deprived of that.

A lot of people say being busy helps, but it only helps when it's something I enjoy doing. Otherwise, it makes me worse.
 
Short term:

Music
Coming here
Talking to my therapist if I can
Eating something I enjoy
Getting certain things done (like laundry, putting things away, etc.)
- this one's when I'm not really severely depressed

Long term:

Getting things done
Working towards making my life meaningful and worth living
 
the only thing that helps me is music it dosen't judge me or blame me for anything which is more than i could say for some of the people in my life.music is the one thing in my life that has never changed its always there when i need it day or night.
 

daelyn

Well-Known Member
when im feeling depressed i cut an it sometimes helps but not always............................................i dont kno wat else to do
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$255.00
Top