Where was Obama born? Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prinnctopher's Belt

Antiquities Friend
SF Supporter
We've seen a supposedly legitimate birth certificate from Hawaii, among lots of speculation, but now there is video of him saying his homeland is Kenya, and Michelle saying his homeland is Kenya, and he said that he's not a citizen and was born in Kenya and that he wasn't born in Hawaii. So what the hell? I don't care either way, but why lie about it? A number of presidents weren't born in the US. Why go all this way to lie about it?

http://vimeo.com/21786473

Last edited by a moderator:

aoeu

Videos on the internet are always legitimate, especially when they only show up in right-wing nutjob publications. Reuters, for example, wouldn't report it because they're in on the conspiracy.

Here's a video showing how FRIGGIN' AWESOME a breakdancer Obama is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzyT9-9lUyE Video doesn't lie.

bhawk

I dont see what the problem is. For all i care he could have been born in charlies chocolate factory. As long as he strives to do good what does his birthplace have to do with anything?

that video is totally lame. did you listen to how it's spliced together? you can totally make him say anything with editing software. people who are worried about this are morons. that's my two cents.

bluegrey

Antiquities Friend
The gentleman pushing this question the most right now, Donald Trump, is probably not qualified for the United States presidency himself because his mother was a Scottish subject when she gave birth to him. That would disqualify him, that and his bizarre hairstyle. :rolleyes:

hornbeam

Seriously that first link is cut all over the place - its a Joke...

I think Obama is great - Ive seen several presidents of the USA in my time and I think Obama is in the right place at the right time. :moonwalk:

Chargette

We've seen a supposedly legitimate birth certificate from Hawaii, among lots of speculation, but now there is video of him saying his homeland is Kenya, and Michelle saying his homeland is Kenya, and he said that he's not a citizen and was born in Kenya and that he wasn't born in Hawaii. So what the hell? I don't care either way, but why lie about it? A number of presidents weren't born in the US. Why go all this way to lie about it?

Politics is like the WWE. It can be hard to tell what is real and what is acting.

hornbeam

I must admit I had to google a lot of information to find what I needed to know- so thanks for the link..........

and yes the breakdancing link was funny

Zurkhardo

He was born in the US. There is ample evidence to prove it. A lot of people don't want to believe it because they can't accept that the man they didn't want to win became president, so they want to manifest some reality that delegitimizes him and validates their visceral disapproval (this was the same man that was already being compared to dictators before he even won the election).

Plus, it's a reflection of many Americans ignorance to our own citizenship laws - being born to a "British subject," as his father was, doesn't make you a non-American so long as you were born on American soil. It's in the same constitution that a lot of these right-wing conspiracy theorists revere and practically deify. Furthermore, given his "exotic" roots, it's only natural that our largely xenophobic and ethnocentric society would feel queasy about him being President, and assume something nefarious or "un-American" about him.

The overwhelming majority of our Presidents were born to established political lineages with a long history in this country. Along comes a president born to an immigrant in a peripheral part of the US, raised outside of the country, and bearing a foreign middle-name, and people can't wrap their heads around it. His victory proved that there's been some progress made in our maturity as voters, but all this nonsense being propagated reminds us that we still have a long way to go.

Julia-C

I'm no Obama fan. I can't wait till he is out of office. That being said, even if he was born in Kenya, which might be true. It doesn't matter. Heres the law.

What are the rules for people born between December 23, 1952 and November 13, 1986?

Again, children born abroad to two US citizen parents were US citizens at birth, as long as one of the parents resided in the US at some point before the birth of the child.

When one parent was a US citizen and the other a foreign national, the US citizen parent must have resided in the US for a total of 10 years prior to the birth of the child, with five of the years after the age of 14. An exception for people serving in the military was created by considering time spent outside the US on military duty as time spent in the US.

While there were initially rules regarding what the child must do to retain citizenship, amendments since 1952 have eliminated these requirements.

Children born out of wedlock to a US citizen mother were US citizens if the mother was resident in the US for a period of one year prior to the birth of the child. Children born out of wedlock to a US citizen father acquired US citizenship only if legitimated before turning 21.
Obama was born August 4, 1961. His mom Ann Dunham Soetoro (born Nov. 29, 1942. Which would make her 18 years and 8 months old at the time of President Obama's birth.

So the real question isn't if Obama was born in Kenya, it's really how many years did his mom live in the U.S. after her 14th birthday. According to the above law, she had to have lived in the U.S. for 4 years after her 14 birthday prior to his birth. So it really comes down to not where he was born but when she moved outside of the U.S. I can't say for sure, there are conflicting stories on this. However, I think it is pretty safe to say the Secret Service done an investigation. Being we have not heard from them, I think the birther issue must be a farce. I can see where the questions originated though.

aoeu

Julia-C, it's not a question of citizenship. US presidents must be born in the US, regardless of citizenship.

Trolling aside, the question was settled at the time of the election: either no one was willing to waste the money on a court case because they knew they'd lose, or the courts threw out the challenge at initial findings because a birth certificate is legal proof without question. A Flash video does not change that. A sworn statement does not change that. Memories change - and no one remembers their birth. Official documents are pretty permanent.

Zurkhardo

Julia-C, it's not a question of citizenship. US presidents must be born in the US, regardless of citizenship.

Trolling aside, the question was settled at the time of the election: either no one was willing to waste the money on a court case because they knew they'd lose, or the courts threw out the challenge at initial findings because a birth certificate is legal proof without question. A Flash video does not change that. A sworn statement does not change that. Memories change - and no one remembers their birth. Official documents are pretty permanent.
Indeed, but when one viscerally distrusts every institution - particularly political and intellectual ones - that don't share or validate your point of view, there's no amount of proof that will matter. It's all part of the conspiracy.

fromthatshow

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Whenever the certificate of live birth is shown people just say oh anyone could have faked that. Well if anyone could have faked it... there is no evidence that could convince you then. I think there is a picture even on the whitehouse.gov page.

Zurkhardo

Exactly. That's the crux of the problem. These people aren't looking for truth, they simply want to believe he's wrong and evil so that they can feel validated in their opposition. They want to wish away his winning of the presidency by constructing this notion that it was illegitimate in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00