1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who was Jim?

Discussion in 'Jim's Cafe' started by shania, Mar 27, 2017.

1. shania

shania Well-Known Member

The question occasionally comes up, especially from new members - Who was Jim, that our café threads are named after?

Jim (his username was jimk) was a long-time member here since 2008, as well as a moderator, who was the one that usually started the café thread every morning. He was a retired accountant in his sixties and would often mention his autistic son Johnny (affectionately called "Zoomies") who lived with him. He loved technology and enjoyed music and collecting movies. Even though he had gone through some very difficult times, he loved life and was committed to SF and helping others.

He passed unexpectedly from natural causes in April, 2014.

The daily threads were originally called the Café. After he passed it became Jim's Café, in his honor.

We remember and miss you, Jim.

2. Baicha

Baicha Well-Known Member

It never occurred to me that 'Jim' was an actual person. A lovely way to remember someone who was obviously a lovely man!

3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Jim was amazing, I cannot put into words how awesome he was, may he rest in peace.

Mremptyinside, Lost, Old geb and 7 others like this.
  4. nico_justnico

nico_justnico Sf Spacemonkey

I never had the honor of meeting him, but he sounds like a wonderful person

Mremptyinside, Old geb, Dawn and 3 others like this.
  5. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Jim was wonderful...he really cared about people. It's really great that we continue to honor him with Jim's Café.

6. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Alumni

I had the pleasure of meeting him once. It turned out that we only lived about a mile from each other. He was a gentle, loving soul and I hope he has found the peace he so desired.

Old geb, Dawn, drinty and 6 others like this.
  7. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

He sounded a really nice person. Respect to all the people who posted here.

8. Aj q8

Aj q8 Well-Known Member

What a beautiful thing to do ..it melts my heart

9. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

I sure miss chatting music with the guy. He's now watching over us all and keeping an eye from the sky. He'd be thinking of you guys

10. PaladinofKnights

PaladinofKnights SF Supporter

Yo never knew it. Rest In Peace man. Woulda like to meet ya. We'll keep the forum runnin for ya.

Dawn and shania like this.
  11. Old geb

Old geb Public Access

Sounds like an amazing man, I really wish I could have met him

shania likes this.
  12. Kereviz

Kereviz Member

May his soul rests in peace. He seems to be an amazing guy. Is there any way to acces his own "the Café" posts? I wonder them :)

shania likes this.
  13. shania

shania Well-Known Member

Hi @Kereviz -

That's a great question! I did a little digging and at first glance it appeared that the answer was no. But I tried another way and found them!

You can read them by first clicking on this: @jimk

Select 'profile page' and from there you can look through his posts, including the café ones; it looks like everything was saved :)

14. extraterrestrialone

extraterrestrialone Well-Known Member

In awe I think. Don't know what else to say.

shania likes this.
  15. Kereviz

Kereviz Member

Thank you very much :)

shania likes this.
  16. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Jim was a friend to many met him on another forum uggg miss you Jim

shania likes this.
  17. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

Jim was a very caring guy, always had a kind and supportive thing to say. He honesttly was a bright spot in a few of my darker days. Always hearing about him and his son was amazing, and even years on he still brings some light to my dark days.

18. LonelyHiker

LonelyHiker Waitering for Godot

He sounds like an amazing guy, the sort of person we should all aspire to be.

FrainBart and shania like this.
  19. VioletDawn

VioletDawn SF Supporter

Wow. The initial post is both sad and beautiful at the same time. Sounds like he was a wonderful person.

shania and Woowoo like this.
  20. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

This post is beautiful. Jim was an amazing person and one of my closest friends here. I haven't been here in a while but so glad to see his memory being kept alive!