Why is everything non-conformist to society's standards immediately shut down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned Member
i stand firm that the real issue was not pro choice or pro suicide...if one looked at the link sent, one would understand what was going on. The pro choice part only came in, had the poster decided everyone was full of crap and could find no reason to keep going...which i did not seem them get quite to that point and i may be misinterpreting. problem was everyone getting caught up on the damned title of the post. There seemed to be two issues at hand. One band of ppl discussing pro suicide/pro choice/ methods and the other, the real issue based upon the link the poster gave us. The poster received little feedback on their stated issue.

Human beings just latch on to something and won't give it up. That is of no benefit to someone who is suicidal. Let's just kick them in the teeth? I feel kicked in the gut too.

Also, some people who come here, are going to be angry, have a chip on their shoulder, they have been through total hell. At times it's best to find a way to disarm that or find a way around it instead of egging them on. At least allow them to express their infuriation. Anger IS a valid feeling. Not everyone is sad...some have moved beyond sad. We can still talk to them though as one person to another.

The poster did continuously point out, that ppl were misinterpreting what they were saying. I clearly saw this misinterpretation...but ppl get hung up on a few words and won't let go long enough to LISTEN.

I'm all for pro-choice, but pro-suicide should never be promoted. It's the other side of the extreme. I guess he thinks pro-suicide sites provide non-judgmental discussion. Only pro-choice sites do in actuality, I've been on a few pro-suicide sites... not nice.

The thread should never have been closed in the circumstances though, all it contained was a small tangle of interpretations. Also, it was not in the best interest of the poster who appeared very angry. Such discussions should be allowed in my opinion, as they're harmless.
If you call yourself pro-choice, then you must, in some circumstances, be pro-suicide. It shouldn't be promoted, but it also shouldn't be criticized.

They never said they thought it provided non-judgmental discussion. All they said was that they didn't want to hear all the bullshit lies that people spew. And it just so happens that on pro-life forums, they usually do. So the only other option would a pro-suicide forum if you don't want to hear all that.

And I understand why they were angry. Completely.

Well then, in honor of the OP of the other thread, let's have this debate. Really and truly, what IS the purpose in life?
In scientific terms it is as Douglas Adams said '42' - to multiply. In human terms I think that one can have many purposes at once and that these frequently shift and change, I also believe purpose is defined by the individual and to speak for them would be daft.

In scientific terms it is as Douglas Adams said '42' - to multiply. In human terms I think that one can have many purposes at once and that these frequently shift and change, I also believe purpose is defined by the individual and to speak for them would be daft.
Well, if it is to multiply then should infertile people kill themselves? That isn't a genuine purpose.

I do think, however, that purpose is defined by the individual as well. But that also brings about the question of - what if they can't find one? How long do they keep looking and where?

Well, if it is to multiply then should infertile people kill themselves? That isn't a genuine purpose.

I do think, however, that purpose is defined by the individual as well. But that also brings about the question of - what if they can't find one? How long do they keep looking and where?
I said in scientific terms only was to multiply a purpose, I think the fact that we can define purpose as more than mere continuation of the species is what separates humanity from other living creatures.

I think in terms of searching for purpose, those purposes can be many and ranging in profoundness, for example, I have no idea what my 'life purpose' is but I also know that my job gives me purpose, my friends give me purpose to be there as a friend, my family gives me purpose to be supportive in that role. I think the idea of an overarching purpose is a misconception in all truth. Sometimes we have purpose without realising it, I think the idea of purpose to our friends is a good example in this regard...

Does that make sense?

I said in scientific terms only was to multiply a purpose, I think the fact that we can define purpose as more than mere continuation of the species is what separates humanity from other living creatures.

I think in terms of searching for purpose, those purposes can be many and ranging in profoundness, for example, I have no idea what my 'life purpose' is but I also know that my job gives me purpose, my friends give me purpose to be there as a friend, my family gives me purpose to be supportive in that role. I think the idea of an overarching purpose is a misconception in all truth. Sometimes we have purpose without realising it, I think the idea of purpose to our friends is a good example in this regard...

Does that make sense?
Well, I was disagreeing with the scientific term. Not you. I know it wasn't your opinion.

But the ones you've listed are individual purposes. If those things make you feel as though you have a purpose in life, that's great. But for me personally, I don't believe in friendship, because my definition of it is much too different than others'. A job, to me, is just routine. Honestly, it makes me feel like a mere puppet to the government. I don't find true purpose in that either. Family - well, my mom, to be exact - gives me a reason to not give up...but she doesn't define my purpose to be alive.

I guess those things are just too simple for me. I feel as though a purpose has to be something greater. Something that makes you say "I've lived my entire life for this".

I know what you mean, I guess that life has taught me that giving oneself an overarching purpose is futile because life has a habit of throwing curveballs to knock you off course. I guess it's a kind of self-defense on my part to not have a singular purpose, if anything I seek to have as many purposes as possible in order to at least have success on some levels.

I think it takes a very singleminded person to have a longterm goal and to ultimately succeed in the way they envisioned it, you may have a longterm goal which you achieve but the parameters within that goal are likely to change.

I guess the ultimate goal is to not let one's purpose be defined by others. Whilst I have purposes that revolve around others, those purposes and the nature of the people within them are defined by me, not the other way around.

I know what you mean, I guess that life has taught me that giving oneself an overarching purpose is futile because life has a habit of throwing curveballs to knock you off course. I guess it's a kind of self-defense on my part to not have a singular purpose, if anything I seek to have as many purposes as possible in order to at least have success on some levels.

I think it takes a very singleminded person to have a longterm goal and to ultimately succeed in the way they envisioned it, you may have a longterm goal which you achieve but the parameters within that goal are likely to change.

I guess the ultimate goal is to not let one's purpose be defined by others. Whilst I have purposes that revolve around others, those purposes and the nature of the people within them are defined by me, not the other way around.
I think the purpose in life is to find one's innermost desires and values, and somehow, by the time you are nearing the end of your life, to connect with them.

And to understand what you truly desire, you could look at the things that you hate first (since that's the easy part) and use the process of elimination, or find the opposite of those things.

I wouldn't call it a long-term goal, really. I don't base my entire life on achieving or connecting with what I value...in fact, I don't really base any of my actions that I can name off the top of my head on it. I base my actions on what I consider are my reasons to live - not my ultimate purpose. I think reasons to live and a purpose in life are different in the fact that, for instance, without my reasons to live (my mom and my fiance), I wouldn't have the desire to fulfill a purpose, if that makes sense.

I guess perhaps one needs both. A purpose and immediate everyday reasons to keep them alive in the long run to fulfill that purpose. It's like a formula. Without one or the other, there is no solution or answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00