• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

why not commiting suizide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

ts3433

#21
marcus said:
ts3433:
What makes you so sure the instinks of procreation is an universal truth? In my eyes it's rather an assumtion.
Besides that, if everyone has it's own purpose, what would that be? I mean from what can I choose from? What are my prospects, what are the possibilities? Can I choose whatever I want? If I choose to bring agony and suffer to everyone else on the planet, would that be okay too? Following this conclusion would legitimate suizide or even genozide. But I guess you are talking about something different. Could you please tell me more about your view of the world?
That first point was a generalization of all living organisms in the biosphere--there can be exceptions. I never said that there weren't any among humans; there are plenty of people who have no desire to have kids (including me at the moment, but perhaps I'm too young to decide that for certain). If most of us didn't instinctively procreate, though, do you think that we'd have six and a half billion of us on Earth today? Do you think that most other organisms don't instinctively procreate out of necessity to further their own species?

From what purposes can you choose? The possibilities are virtually limitless. Some people, indeed, may have determined that their purpose is to bring suffering to everyone else. That you have such a choice or that you have chosen a certain purpose does not mean that I or anyone else must agree with said choice. While I respect that you have free will to make your own decisions (as difficult as it can be for me to do so in cases like this one), I think that it would be very selfish of you or anyone else to choose suicide or genocide. I'm not saying that you must be as full-blown an altruist as someone like Mother Teresa, but I would advise you to consider the destructiveness of a mission in life like the one you presented.

With that said, I should reiterate an earlier point here: I do not mean to impose forcibly upon you my view of what is good; I am simply trying to help you find a purpose in life. As we know too well, there will always be those who determine that their purposes in life involve destruction that accomplishes nothing, and it's perhaps an unfortunate shortcoming of free will. I'm fairly libertarian, though, so I'll have to deal with the occasional shortcoming of free will.

For the sake of example, what do I think my purpose is? Again, I'm too young to know for certain, but I plan to study to become some sort of engineer, in which category of profession I can act not only in self-interest but also in the interest of others by applying science to solve real-world problems or devise new ways of doing existing tasks better. Right now, that seems to be my calling in life. I certainly don't have to be an altruist to do that--engineers can make good money, after all, and there has to be some incentive appealing to self-interest in order to make anyone do the work--but ultimately what is most important (in my mind) is that one should enjoy working toward the fulfillment of one's purpose. In my humble opinion, this is much more productive and useful a purpose than bringing agony to everyone, but it is ultimately your call.

My apologies for the various tangents, which have been more effective at convoluting my point than anything else. Good luck to you, nevertheless, and I hope that you will determine the purpose and significance of your life someday.
 
#22
marcus m8 try to see it the following way: life and death and boredom and every emotion you described is a part of life. So when you're dead and when you're alive - it's part of a whole, whether you like it or not (life is boring at worst, death is boring at best - remember that).

You think you're the only one who had been thinking about this question? What about the countless other people? Thing is that in our day and age, most people work on autopilot so they just drift purposely to their respective destination, without every thinking that it might be pointless in the end.

Every single event, the history, the future, your very existence is an IMPRINT on the universe, so even if someone is born and dies 2 minutes later - he/she had already immortalized himself just by appearing on Earth (and in mother's/father's memories too, which are also a part of the universe).

Your suicidal feelings are ALSO a part of the universe, your thoughts, your discontent with the way the universe (or nature, life, whateve you want to call it) works, your contemplation of the oblivion/hell/heaven after death and just EVERYTHING is also a part of this universe.

Whatever ends up being the truth is not important anymore since by being here conscious or not, alive or not, you have already accomplished your mission by becoming whole with the universe and it's inhabitants, it's triumphs and disappointments, the implications an afterlife might have, the future, the wiping out of the universe in a billion years time, etc etc.

If you want an amusing piece of advise, i'll give you that too, just in case don't take life too seriously. see yourself as being a cog in a mechanism of the universe, a cog that works for a while (i.e. you coming into existence), malfunctioning (diseases, old age, etc) and then dying. Both life and death can be pointless or fun as hell and even death has it's perks (you might be a feast for the worms for example).

ENERGY IS ALWAYS CONSERVED IN THE UNIVERSE, EVEN IN BLACK HOLES, so nothing ever goes out or vanishes, it just loses it's materialistic incarnation and goes to another state (now what that state is is not my jurisdiction or anyone's at this point) SO LOVE YOURSELF, LOVE THE ENVIRONMENT.

You are special because you are the universe and because you are unique and indisposable to the universe

Everything, from the future to the past to the total destruction of the universe, to it's reappearance is already a part of YOU, and YOU have been given a unique opportunity to witness it all (otherwise, you would just be a part that is not witnessing anything, but nevertheless, a potentiality), RELISH and ENJOY it even in the moment's of PAIN. Realize that it's all a part of the universe, warts and all.

The universe is a much more magical space than you might think, it's the realization of the ultimate, what's with the whole science fiction stories, countless extradimensional theories, all sorts of sensational stuff that is just mindblowing and who knows what awaits us in the future. The universe is VAST and there probably is a huge part we can't even see using our telescopes, and using our minds we've managed to achieve so much and reflect on such an impressive repertoire of philosophical items that the room for growth is inexhaustible

Of course you can commit suicide, that is your right as a human being (whether you want to hurt your loved ones or not is only for you to decide), but even after dying (whatever happens after that), YOU'LL STILL BE A PART OF THE UNIVERSE, just probably a part that is not capable of observing itself, or perhaps even liftin the veil and attaining the ability to observe another part that is hidden from us, another dimension fraught with different laws of physics, different everything

We will all be there, so there is no rush m8ty.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
#23
marcus said:
hi goop!

My life ain't full of shit. I'm no pessimist, but I'm no optimist either. There are happy moments, there are bad ones. But in the end, lets face it - everyone who lives now will be dead in 100 (and somthing) years. What's the point then?
I was born, struggled and enjoyed, then I died and that's supposed to be it?
It might have been cool the first time, or maybe even the second, but meanwhile mankind has done pretty much anything in their lifes, and they still do nothing more than this. It seems it's all been done before. What's the point of repeating it over and over again?
I'm not religious marcus. but I heard a beautiful concept once that stayed with me.

What if 'God' or 'Goddess' or whatever does not exist YET? Perhaps we are all part of the process which creates the omega being at the end of time, at timelike infinity? All our pain, all our tears will be set to right because this being will be of us and will have the power to do anything at anytime? That would include the breaking of causality and the ability to be everywhere, everywhen too. What if that is our purpose? I dont have any concrete answers and I am not sure if I believe in this, but it is a nice thought. Maybe we will transcend this life and begin again, maybe this is purgatory/hell/sheol right now and our real lives await us with the sum of our parts? Maybe life is just a training room for our real existence.

I dont know, but I hope. I hope that all the pain, all the hurt and hate and tears and tragedy will be put right because if it isnt then you are right, there is no point. But it cant be so, to think to reason, to hurt and to love. Why do we have these things if not for a higher purpose? Maybe this pain is the forging fire of our souls? I for one am sick of existence and desire non-continuance because I have had it with the pain and the hurt.

But maybe, maybe there is something else, something better for us. That is what has kept me going after one failed attempt and many nights deliberating on what I require.

In the back of my head there is a voice (reason, sanity, God?) that I do not recognise that tells me to wait. It is a small lonely voice and I sometimes think maybe it is me, that desperate voice.

Do I really want to die, does any of us? No, we do not. We seek answers, relief from pain and hurt and grief, we need to make sense of why we are going through what we are going through. We are all hurting here and we all need relief from the hurt.

I know I do. I want to know why I was born with depression, why someone can be born physically fit yet to have this creeping poison in my mind. I lost that which was more precious and valuable than all the jewels and gold in the world. I think overlong on her and the tears come unbidden to my eyes. I thought before I met her I would never be happy, but I was wrong. I was for a time.

This song sums up how I feel:

Jeff Bucklely - Alleluia

heard there was a secret chord
that david played and it pleased the lord
but you don't really care for music, do you
well it goes like this the fourth, the fifth
the minor fall and the major lift
the baffled king composing hallelujah

hallelujah...

well your faith was strong but you needed proof
you saw her bathing on the roof
her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you
she tied you to her kitchen chair
she broke your throne and she cut your hair
and from your lips she drew the hallelujah

hallelujah...

baby i've been here before
i've seen this room and i've walked this floor
i used to live alone before i knew you
i've seen your flag on the marble arch
but love is not a victory march
it's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah

hallelujah...

well there was a time when you let me know
what's really going on below
but now you never show that to me do you
but remember when i moved in you
and the holy dove was moving too
and every breath we drew was hallelujah

well, maybe there's a god above
but all i've ever learned from love
was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you
it's not a cry that you hear at night
it's not somebody who's seen the light
it's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah

hallelujah...


I play this song and sit looking at pictures of her and stare at the strap I have ready to choke myself with. I keep thinking that when I am gone then the pain will be gone. But will it? Will I swop this pain for a greater one? Do I want to inflict pain on others? No, I do not desire to hurt any living being no matter the reason or justification, I do not desire to hurt anyone anymore and I have hurt her and those who love me, unwittingly perhaps, but I did it all the same and that shames me.

Is there a reason to it all Marcus. I dont know, but I will tell you one thing, if there is not then there should be. Maybe we are creating the reason by struggling on. Creation and destruction are not equal forces. One act of love can negate huge amounts of hate. Maybe love is the point, maybe its not.

It was my reason to live and be happy. Without it I am as nothing and no one. I do not want to replace her as she is irreplaceable but I want love. True love that knows no secrets, that knows no time nor limits. Perhaps we only get one shot at it and if that is so then I have blown mine, alas.

I intend to see the other side soon, but part of me is resisting. Part of me wants to go on and be happy. Everyday is a struggle to continue on, pray or wish me the strenght to go on, I pray for everyone not just here but for all times and all places. We all deserve to be happy because if this is all we get then we damn deserve it, not this bullshit that we have now.

I look to timelike infinity and the transcendence not with belief as I said but with hope.

One day everything is gonna be fine they say.

Maybe, just maybe it will.

May your God go with you and all of of us.

In hope,

Ian
 
A

Airbag

#24
<mod edit: bunny - uncalled for>


I'm not sure what to answer to that question.. I always think there is some little chance that things will get better. That's what stops me from blowing my brains out.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$15.00
Goal
$255.00
Top