A Icshemic Stroke and Severe Anxiety

I think this thread belongs in this section...If not, feel free to move it mods.

At age 23 I had a stroke (as the title implies) that completely destroyed my left cerebellum which is responsible for coordination, balance, time and space, and a small amount of memory. This lead to needing non-invasive heart surgery to repair three holes in the atrium of my heart that either were missed at birth or were created over time. In the hospital, I taught myself how to walk again using my elderly roommate's walker and began reading university level books and playing lots of video games to bring my coordination back up to where it was.

After all these tests another doctor found something called a Prothrombin Gene Mutation in the platelets in my blood which means that the clotting agents in my blood are mutated and I clot all the time, with or without a wound. This is bad news.

So now, I'm on aspirin to thin my blood - and am now close to becoming a hemophiliac.
I also have this tremendous anxiety about having another stroke, tumors, or other brain damage. Last night at 12 am I smelled bacon cooking and I immediately thought that it was a sensory hallucination rather than my neighbor across the hall. Or if I hear an older song that isn't really heard on the radio, I think I'm hearing things since I experienced lots of hallucinations the day before my stroke.

Today, I'm 30-years-old and a recent MRI said that the only legions they found were the old ones from the stroke...I'm in perfect health otherwise. After 8 years since this happened, I'm still plagued with this overwhelming anxiety that something is going to happen and leave me completely brain dead, in a coma, or not remembering how to speak, walk, talk, read, etc. It's terrifying.

I just wanted to share...I've been going through this for quite a while. Thanks for reading :D

JmpMster

Owner Emeritus
I am sorry your anxiety is so high about this. Since the issue is worrying and anxiety I do not have practical advice or medical ideas, just wanted to say I understand worries and you are not alone.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi there, Sorry you have been through so much. Have you spoken to your doctor about your anxiety being so high, maybe they can give you something for anxiety attacks. You have been through so much and so young hun. You aren't alone in this anymore, we are here for you 24/7. I think you have incredible courage for talking to us here, it's probably common to have anxieties after something as serious as a stroke. Talk to your doctor hun and get expert advice from them :)

Hi there, Sorry you have been through so much. Have you spoken to your doctor about your anxiety being so high, maybe they can give you something for anxiety attacks. You have been through so much and so young hun. You aren't alone in this anymore, we are here for you 24/7. I think you have incredible courage for talking to us here, it's probably common to have anxieties after something as serious as a stroke. Talk to your doctor hun and get expert advice from them :)
Hey Petal! Thanks for your kind response. To answer your question, I haven't spoken to my doctor just yet about my anxiety being so high...But I probably should. Just talking on the forum and having people listen is a big help too :D

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
That is great hun and you are most welcome. Talk to the doctor when you feel the time is right and when comfortable talking about it but the sooner you get it treated the better, you are amazing for getting to where you are today. Be proud of yourself and hold your head high, nothing to be ashamed of :)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00