• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

A Song a Day

Here it is:

I posted the original German version cuz, you know, I'm an intellectual and shit.
Ja. Nena, from the 1980s. I think it was sung bilingually; at least it is on my battered cassette with the tune. But I was thinking of a film score, without words, in the carrousel scene of the 1976 movie Logan's Run. Trippy, for the 1970s before we got totally jaded to electronica. "Capricorn 15, enter the carrousel. This is the time of renewal. Be strong, and you will be renewed. Identify. Rise." Then the shroud of the force field descends, and the people on the now-rotating corrousel are lifted up, toward the white crystal at the top. "Renew! Higher! Renew!" go the clapping crowd. But that laser keeps blasting each flame-out celebrant renewal unfulfilled. They die, one by one, as they rise. Then Logan gets an alert: Runner, in the Great Hall. Gotta go.

Logan's Run, carrousel scene, dubbed in French.
You Tube
 
Last edited:

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
Staff Alumni
Ja. Nena, from the 1980s. I think it was sung bilingually; at least it is on my battered cassette with the tune. But I was thinking of a film score, without words, in the carrousel scene of the 1976 movie Logan's Run. Trippy, for the 1970s before we got totally jaded to electronica. "Capricorn 15, enter the carrousel. This is the time of renewal. Be strong, and you will be renewed. Identify. Rise." Then the shroud of the force field descends, and the people on the now-rotating corrousel are lifted up, toward the white crystal at the top. "Renew! Higher! Renew!" go the clapping crowd. But that laser keeps blasting each flame-out celebrant renewal unfulfilled. They die, one by one, as they rise. Then Logan gets an alert: Runner, in the Great Hall. Gotta go.

Logan's Run, carrousel scene, dubbed in French.
You Tube
I love Logan's Run. I long ago lost count of how many times I've seen it. The Carousel scene is my absolute favorite. My second favorite scenes of course are with Box. This should be posted in my movie clips thread, though, if I didn't already when I was wasted, and then forgot:confused: It's a distinct possibility. (when I say distinct possibility, I mean dis possibility stinks)
 
I love Logan's Run. I long ago lost count of how many times I've seen it. The Carousel scene is my absolute favorite....
Fancy me, a walnut-brained Stegosaur wandering the tech age, knowing where to post a film score—in “films,” of course. (Bonk on noggin’) That’s only gonna happen if I can find the films forum. Now it’s irreversibly here. But the clip does have music, after all—just not rap or rock ’n roll. Electronica. My favorite scene is the one where they walk into the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC. “That must be the look—of being old,” Logan remarks to Jessica as they stare up at his 1920 colossal seated statue, by then long outlived its carvers. Down to the Roman fasces on the posts to the armrests, which I’m sure would escape Logan and Jessica as well.

Hailing from beneath a climate-controlled dome, they seem barely cognizant of the fact you need protective clothing and boots outside (where errant lizards running up under your skirt be but a small factor in the equation for ladies), and they’re lucky they didn’t bust out in January! Why, they wouldda been icicles in their skimpy outfits long before they saw the Washington Monument, much less crept up (the frozen) Potomac to reach its environs. (But then, why Capricorn 15 going on the carrousel that day? Summer is not Capricorn, it’s more like Cancer—another joy of old age.)

Unfortunately, the Capitol isn’t depicted with 300 years’ real wear. Given its rustable iron framework, the rotunda dome would long ago have collapsed, once water leaking through an unrepaired roof did its weakening work. But I like Peter Ustinov; how he flinches when they grope at that graybeard and crow’s feet of his. “No, they don’t hurt” he informs his young visitors when they wonder at those crags.

Ja. That film influenced me quite a bit; I revisit the clips from it posted on You Tube, although the studio, enforcing ©, ain’t likely to allow a full movie there. There was a full version, but cropped and distorted and pinholed so severely to dodge ©-bots it’s unwatchable. Perhaps 3-min clips count as “fair use.”

Hope you are blessed. As vowels drop from Internet site names—e.g., Grindr—why not drop the stressed “i” and go full Egyptian as well? Then it becomes grndr as they don’t have caps, either! :p
 
Last edited:
Hang on a tick, did you say The Doctor signed your bum...?
I assume he (she?) must be at least as competent as the medic at the Battle of Megiddo (1450 BC) who wrapped your head wound up in raw meat and tied you upright to a stake to wait out the recover-or-die period.

Still, we require further Egyptianization on those consonants. The Roman letters have to go; we have grndr (Grinder/Grindr) in hieroglyphic script as:
~
View attachment 4061
I had to invent a new semogram to clue words referring to the Internet. Egyptian has many semograms, hieroglyphs that do not spell sounds (phonograms, which spell out one or more consecutive consonants, using the Rebus Principle) and do not stand for whole words by themselves (logograms), but categorize meaning instead, so as to disambiguate a word otherwise spelled with phonograms.

We have lots of semograms, such as:
~
View attachment 4062

Where, in a name:
~
View attachment 4063
The man icon tells you that this word is a personal name, or other kind of word referring to men (as in wHa, the word for fisherman). The Egyptian method becoming more relevant today. The computer era has re-introduced the use of hieroglyphs, from the circled i for “information” to a fork-knife-by-plate symbol that follows the name of a restaurant on a highway exit sign. These are everywhere in software. Many guys my age are not conversant with this; the glyphs baffle them. o_O
 
Last edited:

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
Staff Alumni
Fancy me, a walnut-brained Stegosaur wandering the tech age, knowing where to post a film score—in “films,” of course. (Bonk on noggin’) That’s only gonna happen if I can find the films forum. Now it’s irreversibly here. But the clip does have music, after all—just not rap or rock ’n roll. Electronica. My favorite scene is the one where they walk into the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC. “That must be the look—of being old,” Logan remarks to Jessica as they stare up at his 1920 colossal seated statue, by then long outlived its carvers. Down to the Roman fasces on the posts to the armrests, which I’m sure would escape Logan and Jessica as well.

Hailing from beneath a climate-controlled dome, they seem barely cognizant of the fact you need protective clothing and boots outside (where errant lizards running up under your skirt be but a small factor in the equation for ladies), and they’re lucky they didn’t bust out in January! Why, they wouldda been icicles in their skimpy outfits long before they saw the Washington Monument, much less crept up (the frozen) Potomac to reach its environs. (But then, why Capricorn 15 going on the carrousel that day? Summer is not Capricorn, it’s more like Cancer—another joy of old age.)

Unfortunately, the Capitol isn’t depicted with 300 years’ real wear. Given its rustable iron framework, the rotunda dome would long ago have collapsed, once water leaking through an unrepaired roof did its weakening work. But I like Peter Ustinov; how he flinches when they grope at that graybeard and crow’s feet of his. “No, they don’t hurt” he informs his young visitors when they wonder at those crags.

Ja. That film influenced me quite a bit; I revisit the clips from it posted on You Tube, although the studio, enforcing ©, ain’t likely to allow a full movie there. There was a full version, but cropped and distorted and pinholed so severely to dodge ©-bots it’s unwatchable. Perhaps 3-min clips count as “fair use.”

Hope you are blessed. As vowels drop from Internet site names—e.g., Grindr—why not drop the stressed “i” and go full Egyptian as well? Then it becomes grndr as they don’t have caps, either! :p
https://www.suicideforum.com/community/threads/great-movie-clips.136254/
 
See, the films are “great.” And the word “great” precedes “film” (or “movie”) while not being a word I might guess for forum title, as “film” or “movie” themselves are. Consulting my Ankylosaur friends (who have arthritis, which I’m developing now, if not ankylosing spondylitis in their backs, which I can do without), we miss the films forum by a mile (or two) with our tiny brains and tubby bodies. When you want a forum to contain posts about films, please name it films (or movies). But too late now. They have already named the forum, and they are stuck with the bad name. (If they change it, everyone will have to remember the old name.)

Thanks for that dot of heads-up.
 
Last edited:
Woww! The Beatles! From Segeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. Their trust fund and EMI/Capitol and Apple are so hard on that © that I’ve never seen the Beatles on You Tube, except in the form: “Sorry. This video has been removed for copyright infringement complaint. Please see the Millennium Digital Data Protection and Copyright Act of 200x as amended for details on rights owners’ relationship with Google.” Ja. I have been drinking. With linen to breeze. Steins of beer. Stein is German for stone, of course, and the stone hath weighted me by now.

He blew his mind out in a car. By not being mindful of a simple signal, the red light. He was a Lord, in the days before popular election of that house of Parliament.
 
Last edited:

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top