Adapalene (Differin) Gel 0.1% Acne Treatment Trial

Inanimate

Hello,

I never envisioned logging my acne treatment progress in public, but at least @Walker is interested, and I’m under the impression that others may be as well. If I don’t create this thread soon, chances are that I’ll become completely discouraged and lose interest since that’s how my mind works.

Based on my observation, my facial acne is presumably mild, and inflammatory lesions, namely papules and pustules, are predominant. I think of papules as deep, inflamed bumps without visible puss within the surface, whereas pustules (or pimples) are, go figure, characterized by pus encircled by inflammation. I break out on a weekly basis with 1-4 inflammatory lesions.

Prior to my first application of adapalene, I’ve used benzoyl peroxide (BPO) alone for the first 3 months, and I’ve used it in combination with salicylic acid (SA) for the last 3 months. With these mainstay OTC ingredients, I’ve noticed an appreciable reduction in the size, redness, count, frequency, and overall severity, of my breakouts. Even if my results aren’t ideal, treating and helping prevent acne on a regular basis with manageable expectations has given be something to look forward to and has improved my mood and self-esteem to an extent. That being said, I’m not currently discontinuing BPO nor SA but rather adding adapalene to the mix.

Moving forward, I started adapalene gel on April 15, and my second application was on the 18th. I’m introducing it slowly, once every third day and in place of BPO, and over a dry (no longer damp) but moisturized face, so as to minimize dryness and irritation. I use a SA-based wash the following morning, every morning, and BPO on my off-nights. I will increase the frequency as tolerated, every two weeks, up to once a day as directed. I expect side effects, if any, to subside after 4 weeks, an improvement at 8 weeks, greater improvement at 12 weeks, and continuous improvement thereafter. Depending on the results, I may alternate BPO with SA in the morning, or discontinue BPO or SA; in terms of my acne control, BPO takes precedence over SA.

For those of you in the US considering adapalene gel, it's available OTC under the brands Differin, La Roche-Posay Effaclar, AcneFree, and ProactivMD; importantly, they're all identical.

I'll post updates as changes occur.

C’ya.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
I think this thread is going to be a huge winner. I don't know about in comments but I think it's going to be huge in people watching it and coming to read it. I think it's an understated problem and a lot of people are pretty wrecked by it but it falls to the bottom of the things they come and complain about when there is a list <-------> this long to complain about in life, it's almost like "...oh yeah, and this too". I think it's a real thing for a lot of people so I'm really glad you're posting and keeping progress for folks. Thanks :)

Innocent Forever

🐒🥜🍌
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Thanks for starting this!
Just asking, when you've used creams etc has it ever hurt around your eyes (obviously you keel a distance to the area but even so)?
Are you doing this only facially? I know that's not a word. I found epiduo (it's benzoyl... and adapalene) really irritating. And being that it won't get rid of acne everywhere else stopped using it. So would love to hear... maybe I'll restart it. I'm glad you're doing it gradually (it's the recommendation I was given).

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Just asking, when you've used creams etc has it ever hurt around your eyes (obviously you keel a distance to the area but even so)?
Are you doing this only facially? I know that's not a word. I found epiduo (it's benzoyl... and adapalene) really irritating. And being that it won't get rid of acne everywhere else stopped using it. So would love to hear... maybe I'll restart it. I'm glad you're doing it gradually (it's the recommendation I was given).

That's one of the drawbacks with Epiduo, the skin irritation, particularly during the initial few weeks. Because it has a tendency to dry out the skin, that can run the risk of further increasing the inflammation. There is a note in the market literature to avoid using any types of cosmetics which may have a drying or exfoliative effect as naturally that may exacerbate matters.

Sometimes, although if recommended by the doctor, it's a good idea to appy a moisturiser, and reduce the frequency of applications of Epiduo to help manage the situation more effectively.

Innocent Forever

🐒🥜🍌
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
That's one of the drawbacks with Epiduo, the skin irritation, particularly during the initial few weeks. Because it has a tendency to dry out the skin, that can run the risk of further increasing the inflammation. There is a note in the market literature to avoid using any types of cosmetics which may have a drying or exfoliative effect as naturally that may exacerbate matters.

Sometimes, although if recommended by the doctor, it's a good idea to appy a moisturiser, and reduce the frequency of applications of Epiduo to help manage the situation more effectively.
Sorry for hijacking @Inanimate

I didn't use cosmetics most the time and used moisturiser. I stopped when I got a rash near my eyes. I know the rash may have been from eyeshadow but I just stopped using anything on my skin for a while.

Inanimate

Oh, I don’t mind questions and comments at all. In fact, I welcome them. No use in me monopolizing it when I’m posting updates at 4 week intervals.

One thing you can do is apply an ointment around the eyes, lips, nostrils, anywhere you have orifices, prior to applying your cream. This will act as a seal over the areas where the skin is thinner in the event that the treatment transfers over them. Petrolatum (Vaseline) comes with the least amount of risk. I’m using CeraVe Healing Ointment myself, which is petrolatum-based, and it doesn't break me out. Applying a moisturizer on damp skin that hasn't been towel dried, before greasing the orifices, and then applying your treatment on dry skin, may be in your interest.

Probably what makes Epiduo so irritating is that it's a combination acne treatment, Adapalene/Benzoyl Peroxide. Both of those ingredients are drying and irritating in that they're exfoliants. If you're naive to both, you're going to have more resistance coming your way.

For the time being, I'm only using adapalene on the face. Truthfully, I need this more for my body acne, but that requires a lot of product.

Innocent Forever

🐒🥜🍌
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Oh, I don’t mind questions and comments at all. In fact, I welcome them. No use in me monopolizing it when I’m posting updates at 4 week intervals.

One thing you can do is apply an ointment around the eyes, lips, nostrils, anywhere you have orifices, prior to applying your cream. This will act as a seal over the areas where the skin is thinner in the event that the treatment transfers over them. Petrolatum (Vaseline) comes with the least amount of risk. I’m using CeraVe Healing Ointment myself, which is petrolatum-based, and it doesn't break me out. Applying a moisturizer on damp skin that hasn't been towel dried, before greasing the orifices, and then applying your treatment on dry skin, may be in your interest.

Probably what makes Epiduo so irritating is that it's a combination acne treatment, Adapalene/Benzoyl Peroxide. Both of those ingredients are drying and irritating in that they're exfoliants. If you're naive to both, you're going to have more resistance coming your way.

For the time being, I'm only using adapalene on the face. Truthfully, I need this more for my body acne, but that requires a lot of product.
How much will it cost for you to get more? I'd find it annoying to apply all over the body.

Inanimate

How much will it cost for you to get more? I'd find it annoying to apply all over the body.
It’s about $30 per 1.6 oz (45 g) tube. Certainly cheaper than prescription retinoids, but I don't have income, nor severe, scarring acne, so I can get away with neglecting my trunk for now. I still have benzoyl peroxide washes, which can be used on the body, and they've improved the appearance (and pain) of my acne a great deal. There are lotion applicators on the market, and they can be used to apply acne treatments on the back, but I still have doubts.

Innocent Forever

🐒🥜🍌
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
It’s about $30 per 1.6 oz (45 g) tube. Certainly cheaper than prescription retinoids, but I don't have income, nor severe, scarring acne, so I can get away with neglecting my trunk for now. I still have benzoyl peroxide washes, which can be used on the body, and they've improved the appearance (and pain) of my acne a great deal. There are lotion applicators on the market, and they can be used to apply acne treatments on the back, but I still have doubts.
That's a lot of money!! So I've paid a fee for yearly prescriptions so any prescription will be free.
The washes improve the appearance, and lessen the pain? Each use???
I'm sceptical because I can't see how it will get rid of the cause, like it may get rid of what's there but won't stop anymore being produced.
I'm trying antibiotics again (it worked the first time but came back) but if you've used anything that's lessened the scarring.... I also want to get rid of the wrinkling of my forehead, it looks like the elderly... have you found anything helpful for that?
I never thought I'd discuss acne on here...
Thanks!

Inanimate

That's a lot of money!! So I've paid a fee for yearly prescriptions so any prescription will be free.
The washes improve the appearance, and lessen the pain? Each use???
I'm sceptical because I can't see how it will get rid of the cause, like it may get rid of what's there but won't stop anymore being produced.
I'm trying antibiotics again (it worked the first time but came back) but if you've used anything that's lessened the scarring.... I also want to get rid of the wrinkling of my forehead, it looks like the elderly... have you found anything helpful for that?
I never thought I'd discuss acne on here...
Thanks!
Benzoyl peroxide is anti-inflammatory, hence the reduction in the size and redness. It’s also antibacterial, comedolytic (unclogs pores), and keratolytic (helps shed dead skin cells). In other words, it doesn't just treat acne as it occurs but rather helps prevent it as well. Before BPO washes, I had papules on my back that we're so deep, inflamed, and tender, that I could feel their presence before I could see them. The disfiguring appearance of my back acne, along with the reduced quality of life due to pain, was what led me to treating my acne again.

As far as I'm aware, antibiotics help increase the onset of results in the short-term, but they need to be paired with benzoyl peroxide to prevent antibiotic resistance.

For fine lines and wrinkles, topical retinoids, i.e., tretinoin (Retin-A), tazarotene (Tazorac), and adapalene (Differin), supposedly have the most data in terms of reversing them. Tretinoin, by far, has the most data. However, photoprotection is crucial if you're aiming to treat signs of age; otherwise, you'd be counteracting the benefits of your retinoid.

By the way, as much as I like helping, @Ash600 is more credible. I'm just a consumer regurgitating what I've researched and heard from experts. Still, don't hesitate to ask me questions.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
By the way, as much as I like helping, @Ash600 is more credible. I'm just a consumer regurgitating what I've researched and heard from experts. Still, don't hesitate to ask me questions.

Even so, your research sources seems accurate and up to date judging by your posts. By the way, that's a great idea about the use of vaseline as a protective barrier around the eyes,lips, nostrils etc. Normally when I have patients seeking OTC treatments for warts, corns, callouse, or verrucas, I advise them to apply a layer of vaseline around the surrounding area so that only the targeted area is exposed to treatment with salicylate based meds so as to avoid any irritation.

Innocent Forever

🐒🥜🍌
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Vaseline is the only thing I could apply to the rash I got that didn't burn.
I guess I'll start trying using epiduo again and see what my gp says about washes and creams - someday :)
And yeah, I know how it works. You can't always see the spot but you know it's forming. For me it usually doesn't hurt once it's formed (unless it's under a strap) and there are some areas creams or washes can't be used. Antibiotics don't last once they get rid of it. But, will see. I appreciate all your information. And am looking forward to your posts. Hey, I'm helping others by driving you crazy, for now they'll see this information too... *hiding

By photo protection do you mean sunscreen? Even when you don't go outside?

Thanks @Ash600 for your input. If you've anything to add about getting rid of the wrinkles/lines or know the names of the creams/gels I'd love to hear.

Inanimate

By photo protection do you mean sunscreen? Even when you don't go outside?
Yep. Broad-spectrum sunscreen. I just make a habit of applying a generous layer of sunscreen on a daily basis whether I’m indoors or outdoors. UVA (Aging Rays) penetrates windows. I’m probably supposed to reapply more considering that sunscreen filters degrade and wear off. Of course, if I’m outdoors, I would need to reapply every 2 hours.
I guess I'll start trying using epiduo again and see what my gp says about washes and creams - someday :)
Hopefully soon. I’m interested in hearing about your experience. I’m sure if you were prescribed Epiduo in the past, you can at least use benzoyl peroxide for the time being if it’s available OTC. Or just ask your GP. That’s fine, too.
By the way, that's a great idea about the use of vaseline as a protective barrier around the eyes,lips, nostrils etc.
Regrettably, it wasn’t my idea. I learned of this from Dr. Dray on YouTube.

Either way, I appreciate your reassuring feedback.

@Innocent Forever, consider watching her videos, namely her Q&As, videos on tretinoin, and her Differin tips. The bulk of what I’ve relayed here is discussed more forcefully and in generous detail in her videos.

Innocent Forever

🐒🥜🍌
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I am! Some ways we are lucky with the nhs.

Every day?? Seriously? wow I don't even know what to say about that. I don't think I know a person on Earth doing that. Your skin must look like a babys arse.
:) I've listened to @Inanimate and been putting on suncream when I go outdoors.

Tonight I'll use epiduo for the 4th time.

Inanimate

:) I've listened to @Inanimate and been putting on suncream when I go outdoors.

Tonight I'll use epiduo for the 4th time.
1588022786255.gif

I hadn’t ever thought I’d convince anyone on SF to skincare, nor did I predict that I would ever use this gif, but here we are.

Now you make your own thread.

What sunscreen are you using? Cleanser? Moisturizer? I don’t know how much drug store products in your location differ from those of the US, but I’m curious nonetheless.

Innocent Forever

🐒🥜🍌
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
View attachment 32351

I hadn’t ever thought I’d convince anyone on SF to skincare, nor did I predict that I would ever use this gif, but here we are.

Now you make your own thread.

What sunscreen are you using? Cleanser? Moisturizer? I don’t know how much drug store products in your location differ from those of the US, but I’m curious nonetheless.
Nivea 50. Or garnier I think it is. But that one I couldn't run in today and had a white face mask. Perfect for ghostly look, I just forgot to add the thick black eyeliner (not wearing makeup whilst indoors or at home most the time).
Usually just Simple. Simple face wash, toner, and moisturiser. They're a light product. I like them. I've used clinique in the past. Simple is a cheap make hut I like it better because it's so light and doesn'r irritate me at all. Could be I should be using something heavier but unless I'm given specific names... officially my skincare routine means using it morning and evening. I often do in the mornings and now when I use epiduo using the wash too (I think you're not meant to moisturise first and definitely not after).
What do you use in the mornings?
And yeah, I tend to listen to wise people. Your vaseline helps a lot. I'm still sore around the eyes but because there's no correlation to when I've used this i know it's just general sensitivity. Like this afternoon whilst driving i was tearing away which was annoying... (trying to see clearly!)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00