• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

How’s Your Therapy Going?

Astrid78

Spoonful of sugar will help the medicine go down
I hear you and agree with the finding care. Rates in this big city are crazy....The therapists, not even talking of their abilities and quality, that are just licensed, not MD's, are now charging $150-$200 for 45 or 50 minutes. That's a bucket load of money annually. So no therapy. It doesn't mean you have to give up on yourself.*hug
those rates are insane, where I live you can find a therapist for around $50 a month if you are poor. Being a homeowner without mortgage I am considered too rich for most financial assistance.
 

Astrid78

Spoonful of sugar will help the medicine go down
still believe that real therapy and healthcare is possible. but do consider that i may actually not be delusional!!!!!
Being from a town that actually has decent care, I too know this exists, perhaps is why its so hard now. I received assistance from a CMH that pretty much did what it was supposed to do, nothings perfect, but this place was like a home to me. It took 10yrs for me to find a good therapist, she stuck to it for 5yrs and it was so helpful I went 10yrs with little to no symptoms. Here is what I am dealing with now: What do you call a med student that graduated with a 2.0?
You call them Dr.
 

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
I don’t know why, I guess she managed to ask exactly the right question, but I ended up telling my therapist about a lot of stuff I hadn’t mentioned before, and wasn’t sure I ever would. Mostly about stuff that happened during one particularly terrible year when I was a kid. It was draining, and she wants to come back to it at our next appointment and I’m kinda dreading that.
 

Pebble mouse

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
SF Pro
SF Supporter
but I ended up telling my therapist about a lot of stuff I hadn’t mentioned before, and wasn’t sure I ever would. Mostly about stuff that happened during one particularly terrible year when I was a kid. It was draining, and she wants to come back to it at our next appointment and I’m kinda dreading that.
Hey Gonz, just wanted to say it was probably a good thing talking about those things and I hope you do go back. I cancelled all appointments with my last psychologist because I got very distressed talking about my childhood. It's something I still haven't talked about with my psychiatrist and I"ve been seeing him for years. Bringing these things up can be cathartic.

((hugs))
 

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
Hey Gonz, just wanted to say it was probably a good thing talking about those things and I hope you do go back. I cancelled all appointments with my last psychologist because I got very distressed talking about my childhood. It's something I still haven't talked about with my psychiatrist and I"ve been seeing him for years. Bringing these things up can be cathartic.

((hugs))
Thanks. I’ve skipped sessions and strongly considered ending therapy for basically the same reason as you. I’m going to try to stick it out but, honestly, I’m kinda looking forward to her next vacation so I can have a breather for a week or two.

Kinda gross, but the best thing I can compare it to is vomiting. It’s horribly unpleasant, but you can’t start feeling better until you get whatever is making you sick out of your systm.

I hope you reach a point where you are able to talk about it.
 

Astrid78

Spoonful of sugar will help the medicine go down
Its been going ok. there is now a behavioral urgent care in the state I live in, and can access some of the services online. they are willing to offer me therapy and prescribe meds until I can find someone for longer term. I actually like these people and so far have had good experiences. I feel both relieved and wary at the same time, however I try not to ruminate, to focus instead on the peace that comes from talking with those who are more then competent in what they do.
At my last medical dr appt I was told by the psych nurse to find someone else, a few days ago her office called to set up an appt and now I am confused.
 
She’s gone for a couple weeks right now and I gotta say it’s kind of a relief.

I mean, therapy is supposed to be hard and stressful, right?
That's a really good question. I think it's supposed to take effort, maybe even a lot, but shouldn't be extremely stressful IMHO. I mean obviously talking about trauma and loss can itself be stressful, but I think a good therapist can give you a certain amount of ease. I think if you're relieved to have a break that's okay, but if you really dread sessions that's not good. Also a therapist should be able to adapt somewhat to your wants - like if you don't want to talk about your childhood you should be able to focus on your current coping strategies. I mean a certain amount of disclosure is important if your childhood is having a huge effect on your current situation. But not everyone wants to dwell on that and I think that should be okay.
 
I've had several therapists over the years and have had some better and some worse. A few were a bit too chatty but several were very insightful and gave me good strategies for improving my mind and mood. My psychiatrist was a great help also.
 

Astrid78

Spoonful of sugar will help the medicine go down
They should change how a person finds a therapist online, you have to use a zip code to search within a certain perameter of your area, I have to find a search engine that lets me use "any fucking where in the world" which is a much needed option as I don't know all the zip codes in the U.S. The ones in my area don't bother to call back, only one person has, while she gave me a few names, they didn't call back either.
I did call the psych nurse back, left a message, nothing from them either, it feels like they are just fucking with me at this point. I give it up.
 

Waves

Well-Known Member
They should change how a person finds a therapist online, you have to use a zip code to search within a certain perameter of your area, I have to find a search engine that lets me use "any fucking where in the world" which is a much needed option as I don't know all the zip codes in the U.S. The ones in my area don't bother to call back, only one person has, while she gave me a few names, they didn't call back either.
I did call the psych nurse back, left a message, nothing from them either, it feels like they are just fucking with me at this point. I give it up.
It had gotten to be very business oriented in USA. I think it is better in maybe Canada. I miss the more friendly supportive way it was before
 

dandelions

me
SF Supporter
She’s gone for a couple weeks right now and I gotta say it’s kind of a relief.

I mean, therapy is supposed to be hard and stressful, right?
my response to the "stressful" was to tell my therapist that i wanted to suspend therapy. that is all i said, no plan for starting again and not really even specifying any more than saying "i'll let you know". i did this all in text.

her response was "ok", and that's all. i'd have thought there'd be a little push back? or a last meeting? but nope.

i only mention this in contrast to your situation Gonz. it is most definitely not a suggestion. for two months since, i've been wondering about what's been going on with her. was she still playing therapist in not saying anything further? did she really mean what she said a couple times in the recent past - that she wants to retire? i was left confused actually and wondered if it was i who confused me.

anyway, i thought i should write her a letter at least for the holidays so after a lot of procrastinating, i finally did. basically i think i said in not the exact words, that i miss her. the thing about this therapist is i really feel she is a friend. i feel that she is a friend and i like her as a friend and perhaps not a therapist anymore and that is why i wanted to stop seeing her plus that she does not really have specific extensive training experience in my specific issues which are childhood sexual abuse/trauma, self harm, severe dissociation and gender concerns - all which are quite intermingled.

and the people i've been communicating with of late on the patient side of therapy keep telling me i need someone specificly trained in these areas. i think looking into dissociation might be helpful because even if you are not like me and others who are definitely in the range of Dissociative Disorders (DID and OSDD), dissociation is a feature of many other "disorders" and situations that a traumatized person might be dealing with.

here are a couple links that anyone reading this might find helpful.

• International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation (Find a Therapist page) https://isstd.connectedcommunity.org/network/network-find-a-professional

• Discussing Dissociation https://www.discussingdissociation.com/

• i have a couple other links too but can't find them atm. if/when i find them i'll post them here.

👽
 
Last edited:

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top