i feel so stupid when i do this

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
I super scorched the glass stovetop letting a pot of milk and tea boil over. At least with multiple applications of vinegar and baking soda and hot towels and elbow grease, it looks like it will not be permanently damaged. Maybe I should just stay out of the kitchen for awhile🙃😂
I am going to have to remember the vinegar and baking soda trick. What amount of each do you use? Will any vinegar work? Thanks.

Hi Barb,

I had to do this a few times because I really did a good job with the boil over. It may only need to be done once or twice though, Lol.

Use white vinegar. I put a little in a small measuring cup to control the amount more easily when pouring.
Dribble this in small amounts on top of the crusted area, covering it all.
Then shake out the baking soda just directly on top of the now wet burned material. It doesn't have to be super thick, just a nice solid covering. I played with amounts as I made the additional attempts.
It will immediately start to bubble when it comes in contact with the vinegar.
I tried 2 different heat approaches. I used an old hand towel that I folded in half. If it's just a very small area, you could use a washcloth.
I first tried lightly but completely wetting the towel, wringing it out well and then folding and heating it in my microwave JUST probably FOR A MINUTE or less IF you feel comfortable doing this...(I used to heat towels for my patients this way to use for a heating pad back in the old days at the hospital.) But you have to be careful not to over heat or burn yourself because the towel can become boiling hot very quickly which becomes evident when opening it back up. Then place it over the area.
I then tried another way of applying heat that felt like it might work better......I boiled some water in my electric kettle then placed the folded towel on top of the baking soda area. Then slowly poured the hot water directly on top of the towel, enough to saturate it.
Either way, leave this in place for about 15-20 minutes to penetrate.

Then wipe off and rub some if necessary.
Repeat as needed until done.

There are no scratches that I can see from using these products.
I tend to overexplain sometimes;) I hope it makes sense.

Last edited:

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Hi Barb,

I had to do this a few times because I really did a good job with the boil over. It may only need to be done once or twice though, Lol.

Use white vinegar. I put a little in a small measuring cup to control the amount more easily when pouring.
Dribble this in small amounts on top of the crusted area, covering it all.
Then shake out the baking soda just directly on top of the now wet burned material. It doesn't have to be super thick, just a nice solid covering. I played with amounts as I made the additional attempts.
It will immediately start to bubble when it comes in contact with the vinegar.
I tried 2 different heat approaches. I used an old hand towel that I folded in half. If it's just a very small area, you could use a washcloth.
I first tried lightly but completely wetting the towel, wringing it out well and then folding and heating it in my microwave JUST probably FOR A MINUTE or less IF you feel comfortable doing this...(I used to heat towels for my patients this way to use for a heating pad back in the old days at the hospital.) But you have to be careful not to over heat or burn yourself because the towel can become boiling hot very quickly which becomes evident when opening it back up. Then place it over the area.
I then tried another way of applying heat that felt like it might work better......I boiled some water in my electric kettle then placed the folded towel on top of the baking soda area. Then slowly poured the hot water directly on top of the towel, enough to saturate it.
Either way, leave this in place for about 15-20 minutes to penetrate.

Then wipe off and rub some if necessary.
Repeat as needed until done.

There are no scratches that I can see from using these products.
I tend to overexplain sometimes;) I hope it makes sense.
sounds like a good plan. my cleans the stovetop best she can but still has some minor issues. will this work on older spills. like i said she cleans it best she can but there is always a small bit left

mike....*hug*shake

sounds like a good plan. my cleans the stovetop best she can but still has some minor issues. will this work on older spills. like i said she cleans it best she can but there is always a small bit left

mike....*hug*shake
I found these instructions for a glass top because I was concerned primarily about not scratching the surface but these products would work on ceramic type tops as well I'm sure of it... I use both to clean my entire house as well, lol. And I did this after the caked on mess was a week old. I wouldn't think age matters at all in most cases.....good luck, happy cleaning*hi5*hug

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I found these instructions for a glass top because I was concerned primarily about not scratching the surface but these products would work on ceramic type tops as well I'm sure of it... I use both to clean my entire house as well, lol. And I did this after the caked on mess was a week old. I wouldn't think age matters at all in most cases.....good luck, happy cleaning*hi5*hug
thank you

mike....*hug*shake

Baywasp

I know the world turns and it will turn on me
SF Supporter
I woke up and realized I had been lightly sleeping at my desk (had dozed off for a few mins) with one of my work’s senior managers in the room *hiding
Don’t think it was obvious because I hadn’t put my head down or anything, but my eyes had been closed a while.

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
When I look up a word in the dictionary to find out what it means and it's described by another word I don't know, so I have to look up that word too.
I agree with @Witty⭐️Sarcasm🐒 It is more convenient online but when I was young going to look up something in the dictionary or encyclopedia and branching off reading other things. It would not seem like I did it for long, but an hour or so may have passed before I stopped. :)

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
ok i'm nominating myself for idiot of the month lol. yesterday i went to the garage to start and move my 64 dodge, it will make it easier for taking her home saturday.

well she turned and turned but wouldn't fire up. i figured the gas went all the way to the back of the tank and it was hard to get it through to the carb. this happens when a car sits for a long time so i figured no big deal i'll come back tomorrow with starting fluid. i messaged my son last night. this morning he called me. he asked if i turned the kill switch on. duh, my wife and i forgot about the kill switch lol, so tomorrow we'll try again with the swtch on lol

mike

Bbear82

ok i'm nominating myself for idiot of the month lol. yesterday i went to the garage to start and move my 64 dodge, it will make it easier for taking her home saturday.

well she turned and turned but wouldn't fire up. i figured the gas went all the way to the back of the tank and it was hard to get it through to the carb. this happens when a car sits for a long time so i figured no big deal i'll come back tomorrow with starting fluid. i messaged my son last night. this morning he called me. he asked if i turned the kill switch on. duh, my wife and i forgot about the kill switch lol, so tomorrow we'll try again with the swtch on lol

mike
lol didn’t think about that

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
as most people know i'm about 6 weeks late getting my 64 dodge out of winter storage. last week i tried to start her and all she did was turn and turn but not fire up. so smart thing to do was tell my son so he could help me. so i texted him and said what happened. well he called me the next morning very groggy and asked me if i turned off the kill switch, i forgot since we only put it in last year.

so i scratched my head and felt stupid . armed with this new knowledge i went to start the car agan thursday. well she turned and turned and wouldn't fire. so now i'm really scratching my head. i fnally gave up and asked my son if he could check it out. he is a good son and went to the garage and look at my poor sick 64 dodge. it started right up no problem.

so he calls me and asked which swich i moved. i said the one on the right, of course it was the one on the left lol. i have 2 toggles in the ashtray, 1 is a kill switch the other is the line lock. finally after making all those stupid mistakes i get to bring her home tomorrow

mike

Survivorist

Black sheep of my family....
Studip? Well, I could write a book. But one thing - I spent 5 months in 5 different African countries (Sierra Leone, Senegal, Gambia, Guinea Bissau and Mauritania) and never even saw a snake. Coming home after all these months I went with my wife to swim in the river beside Munich (Germany, "Isar") and was bitten by a snake. Ergo -> finger cut, hospital for a night...

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00