Its Mental Trauma, Not Mental Illness, or Mental Disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a shout out to everyone hurting. Medical scientists label us with "Disorders" and "Illnesses". They are wrong. They do this because they cannot understand our pain, unless they have experienced trauma. Any "Disorder" or "Illness" of the mind, is actually TRAUMA. Major Depressive Trauma, Bi-polar Trauma, Borderline Personality Trauma, etc. I have Major Depressive Trauma, Bi-Polar Trauma, Attention deficit disability, and Attention deficit Hyperactive Disability. We do not have "disorders". We are not "ill" We are not people to be labeled as a plague or defective. We are people; People with Trauma. Please share this thread among other threads on SF.

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
I often feel as though the purpose of these labels in society is to shame people, not only for the trauma they've suffered, but also for having a specific set of characteristics that is different from those most deemed "normal" in contemporary society. The ways that some humans are controlled and brainwashed by the ignorance of other humans is the real shame here.

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
We do not have "disorders". We are not "ill"
This reminds me of the psychiatrist Thomas Szasz who said mental illness was a myth because it referred to a group of behaviors which deviated from a fictitious norm defined by psychiatry itself. There is an underlying assumption that human interactions are naturally harmonious, therefore conflict and disturbances must be "deviant". He says this assumption is false because the problems of living are natural and normal aspects of the human condition which cannot be solved by medicalizing them as mental illnesses to be treated with drugs.

The Myth of Mental Illness http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Szasz/myth.htm

Last edited:

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
A psychiatrist in a small town decided one day to switch his patients from their usual meds to placebos. The town was suddenly hit by a huge crimewave, with the beleaguered cops, fighting their own symptoms from withdrawal from their usual meds, trying to find out what caused it and what to do about it......

This reminds me of the psychiatrist Thomas Szasz who said mental illness was a myth because it referred to a group of behaviors which deviated from a fictitious norm defined by psychiatry itself. There is an underlying assumption that human interactions are naturally harmonious, therefore conflict and disturbances must be "deviant". He says this assumption is false because the problems of living are natural and normal aspects of the human condition which cannot be solved by medicalizing them as mental illnesses to be treated with drugs.

The Myth of Mental Illness http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Szasz/myth.htm
That is exactly what I am talking about. You sir have found the most detailed and accurate description of my message. Thank you. Hope everybody shares this.

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I often feel as though the purpose of these labels in society is to shame people
I'm suspicious of labels because they can be a way of disempowering
people and invalidating their experiences. Also medicalizing emotional states as neurological disorders sometimes seems like inventing a pathology to treat with pharmaceuticals. Shyness is now social anxiety disorder, for instance.

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Thomas Szasz, The Myth of Mental Illness:

"This position implies that people cannot have troubles -- expressed in what are now called "mental illnesses" -- because of differences in personal needs, opinions, social aspirations, values, and so on. All problems in living are attributed to physio-chemical processes which in due time will be discovered by medical research."

gypsylee

SF Supporter
I’ve been shamed for a very long time by certain members of my family for not being “well adjusted” or “high functioning” (though under the right circumstances I can function a lot higher than these family members).

It dawned on me a couple of years ago that trying to make me be “normal” is very similar to trying to make a gay person straight. I say this to the main “shame culprit” and it actually shuts her up for a while.

I love this thread because I’ve often thought “I’m traumatised by life itself”.. Or at least these attempts to slot me into mainstream society o_O

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I love this thread because I’ve often thought “I’m traumatised by life itself”.. Or at least these attempts to slot me into mainstream society o_O
I think life is traumatizing for more people than not, especially in the kind of global society we have now. RD Laing, who you quoted before, wrote about schizophrenia as a product of a schizophrenic society.

gypsylee

SF Supporter
I think life is traumatizing for more people than not, especially in the kind of global society we have now. RD Laing, who you quoted before, wrote about schizophrenia as a product of a schizophrenic society.
I’ve read bits and pieces of RD Laing. I find mainstream society quite horrific. Which reminds me of Charles Bukowski haha. My biggest issue is people’s inability to think for themselves and outside the square.. That makes my blood boil.

“Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them.” —Charles Bukowski

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
My biggest issue is people’s inability to think for themselves and outside the square.. That makes my blood boil.
Blame social conditioning from birth onwards. We are not as free as we like to believe because we are not taught to think critically, but to accept what we're told. If you do think outside the box, you risk attracting a disempowering label e.g. a personality disorder

Last edited:

gypsylee

SF Supporter
You know, that’s one of the reasons I’m so big on music. Musicians are one lot who are allowed to be expressive and creative ie not boring. Same with artists, authors, poets etc.

Blame social conditioning from birth onwards. We are not as free as we like to believe
I think I was “lucky” because my parents were pretty hippyish when I was a kid. But they created a monster. My mother took me to A Clockwork Orange at 16 and then spends the rest of her life moaning that I’m such a fringe dweller :rolleyes:

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
You know, that’s one of the reasons I’m so big on music. Musicians are one lot who are allowed to be expressive and creative ie not boring. Same with artists, authors, poets etc.
I interesting the way so many artists and creative people have psychiatric diagnoses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00