Jim's Cafe 7th March 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tana

Today's topic: ART!

1. Which form of art (creative pursuits) is your favourite? (From music and books to cooking, whatever you'd consider "art". :))
2. Do you practice any form/s of art? Which?
3. Is there any form of art you would like to practice sometime in the future?
4. Who is your favourite art creator?

art.jpg

5. For a bonus, philosophical question...Can a robot make art?

Tana

1. Which form of art (creative pursuits) is your favourite?
I'd have to go with either painting or writing. I pick painting, at the moment.
"Just" digital art and writing, more or less. "Did"...do....well.
"Real" panting on an easel. Can't afford to buy the necessaries though.... :/ Ah, maybe one day... :)

Can't pick.
Depends on how you define it. By the original definition, "no", because it claims art comes from a "human imagination". Robots do not have that in the real/human sense.

ok so getting my creative side out thankyou @someone123
1. my favourite form of art is cross stitch
2. I do knitting [is that an art?!!]
3. I would love to do painting aswell but I think I need a paint by numbers haha
4. art creator Salvidor Dali [have I spelt that right?]
5. I think robots can make art for example they can paint but they cant be creative
6. thankyou for this fun post that made me use my brain*hug hugs to you @someone123

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
1. Which form of art (creative pursuits) is your favourite? (From music and books to cooking, whatever you'd consider "art". :))
Mostly that'll be music, although writing and painting (particularly Japanese) are things which I enjoy.

Once tried to teach myself the electric guitar, but that nearly ended up in a self inflicted disaster (as well as blowing one of my speakers)

Guitar, if I ever feel up to it. Being able to sit back and play the blues on the black-cat bone is a calming thought.

Don't have one.

Depends on how you consider what "art" is. At the moment, you can more or less argue that robots act on an algorithmic approach and art can be see to be more instinctive and emotional based. Until they can develop true AI, any art they may make can be considered as a medium through their programmers.

britishbloke

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Thanks for the tag @someone123

1. Which form of art (creative pursuits) is your favourite? (From music and books to cooking, whatever you'd consider "art". :)) Music for sure, as much as I love books and they hold a dear place in my heart, music is my everyday love.
2. Do you practice any form/s of art? Which? I used to hip hop music and have been in a fair few bands in my life. I also wrote poetry and rapped for a while, I even performed in a poetry slam... :D
3. Is there any form of art you would like to practice sometime in the future? I feel like the ones I've practiced, are the ones I would like to continue in... I'm just lazy like that
4. Who is your favourite art creator? On current feeling... Madlib...
this beat is too good...

Road to Nowhere

πŸ’«πŸ’«πŸ’«πŸ’«πŸ’«
SF Supporter

Hard to pick one I love all forms of art, but I would have to say film making. The story telling and emotion that can be captured to have a complete story told amazes me.

Creative writing or poetry

Playing any musical instrument, drawing or painting

Leonardo Da Vinci

Sure it's art only without a soul.

Charliex8

SF Creative
SF Supporter
I like lot's of art but I think I feel most drawn to digital art

I love doing cross stitch and rock painting the most right now. I also enjoy colouring, origami and felt crafts. I used to do a lot of drawing and digital art but I don't do too much anymore (depression sucks!)

I've always wanted to learn how to play the keyboard. Also knitting and crochet would be fun to learn!

I think Jessica Peffer. She a fantasy, digital artist who really inspired me growing up :)

Yes...I guess...art is art!

mfor

Some people belong backstage.
I think writing. Maybe music.
I've done my share of writing. Weekly segments, comedic stories, and the like. I've dabbled in some light graphic design. I've studied music and can sing my share, as well as play some violin and piano.
Writing's not bad. Singing's not bad. Not for others, though. Off my back, and everything's fine.

Beats me. Bach? Mana? Cornwell? Couldn't tell.
Yes. By-the-numbers art already exists, created by human beings. Some efficient and well-applied coding can, for example, get an input of the current culture, use some random variables and produce piece of cultural media, that can then be used to refine the random factor to more effective ranges. It can then be used to further alter not only the random variables, but also the fixed values, meaning that an AI could not only create pieces of art, but also keep it in motion. People need to understand that, as synthetic as AI can be at the moment, that is currently changing and it's becoming more and more organic.

Baywasp

I know the world turns and it will turn on me
SF Supporter
1. Which form of art (creative pursuits) is your favourite? (From music and books to cooking, whatever you'd consider "art". :)) ]
Music I guess.
Music (mostly singing but sometimes playing guitar or viola. Used to play bass, piano, and some percussion but don't have access to those instruments currently.) I also write poems and other random shit sometimes.
I wish I could draw or paint and would like to learn to play some kind of wind instrument. Maybe saxophone.
Right now I'd say Rick Maguire from the band Pile.
I guess. But I don't know if I like it.

cymbele

SF Supporter
Photography and woodworking

Photography and woodworking; mostly photography

3. Is there any form of art you would like to practice sometime in the future? Writing and pottery

Don't have a favorite.

Witty_Sarcasm

πŸ¦„πŸ¦œπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸŒπŸ’–
SF Supporter
1. Which form of art (creative pursuits) is your favourite?
Writing, as it has been for a long time. But I don't write as much as I used to.

I used to paint and draw, but haven't for a long time. I made a thread about the artwork I made in the past.
https://www.suicideforum.com/community/threads/some-of-my-artwork.144926/

Maybe more painting and different types of drawing.

Hmm, maybe van Gogh.

Sure they can. but they won't know the meaning behind it.

HappyKitty

Works during the day, doodles at night.
Hai. Kitty likes this topic πŸ₯°

no 1-3:
graphic design is my profession but I’ve been doing hobby in caligraphy recently (modern, chinese and arabic) and paintings as well and kitty plays many hobbies. πŸ₯°

no 4:
no surprise, its my job to get inspiration all the time so I has no favourites.

and kitty likes to colours πŸ₯°

Auri

🎸🎢Metal Star🎡πŸ₯
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Hey everyone! My favourite positive topic :)

1. Music
2. Literature & poetry
3. Painting, drawing (incl. "modern canvas", like tattooing, etc.)
4. Cinema

I. Am. A. Sick. Perfectionist.

I need to get back to my electric guitar. I used to draw A LOT. I'd like to write poems in English (already attempted) and for something completely new, I wish to paint when I have money to buy the stuff. Occasionally I colour in some art-therapy books because no creativity is required.

Sorry, too many, and it changes. In music, probably Tuomas Holopainen.

Aesthetics is a philosophical topic I haven't yet thought enough about. A priori I'd say theoretically yes, it is possible, but I'm not sure current robots would be able to. Now what if they did and we presented them to people who wouldn't know a robot made them? They could consider it art, especially given what is sometimes considered art these days... Unless you don't ever separate the author from the art.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00