KPop Thread

MisterBGone

SF Supporter
@BlueGreen : ) Yes, yes— I guess you could say that! Though admittedly, it is being done so cautiously (which is not to say, “lightly!”). Here’s what I mean - I have a pretty strong idea / feeling that this is one of those things (or interests) that can quickly become an “obsession,” of sorts- it doesn’t have to, of course! But it could. . . & that it could , has me wondering — “do I have space for it (in my life?)... time? Etc.! ;^)...” And then there is this: if this comes, and stays; what goes??? :D You see the difficult with which I grapple, or maybe you don’t. :D lastly, many of these “stars,” for lack of a better... I have come to know of first see -even if only casually- through movies & tv. Meaning I may know them or are introduced to their personalities in a different light than most of their traditional fans. If I didn’t know any better, I’d think I’m building a strong case for why I should not do so: but that is not explicitly, or outwardly // consciously , the attempt or (the) intent! : ) for instance, I’m not even certain if I understand Kpop to be all Korean pop music, or a sub genre of sorts... but that’s no matter - less thinking of the thing, and more doing, as they say. Hey? 👋 ! : D

MisterBGone

SF Supporter

@MisterBGone I don't know if you've heard of Taemin but he is an incredible dancer and he's like a chameleon with his image. I think this one really shows that off.
Wow! I will check him out... now see, this is another example of my naivety: I saw a video of “super junior” & I thought that was a boy / or / guy group, with that Heechul, character that everybody seems to love so much (& rightfully so!). But then before I go to click on it - I see the picture of four girls performing (dancing, singing 🎤 etc.) - probably I’ve confused or mixed it or something else up altogether. . . ;D

MisterBGone

SF Supporter
It seem s that they have had a few members leave over time, who have gone on to do great things / enjoy individual success & popularity (I wonder if fans, in general feel that there was a particular period that was considered their “peak,” or in terms of being/having their most dominant, or prime lineup?)...

JDot

remember to drink plenty of water
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
It seem s that they have had a few members leave over time, who have gone on to do great things / enjoy individual success & popularity (I wonder if fans, in general feel that there was a particular period that was considered their “peak,” or in terms of being/having their most dominant, or prime lineup?)...
Their most dominant lineup would be the OT9 before Jessica got kicked out. Their peak would probably be 2009-11 period starting with Gee. This period has great songs like Oh, Genie, Hoot, and Run Devil Run.

BlueGreen

@BlueGreen : ) Yes, yes— I guess you could say that! Though admittedly, it is being done so cautiously (which is not to say, “lightly!”). Here’s what I mean - I have a pretty strong idea / feeling that this is one of those things (or interests) that can quickly become an “obsession,” of sorts- it doesn’t have to, of course! But it could. . . & that it could , has me wondering — “do I have space for it (in my life?)... time? Etc.! ;^)...” And then there is this: if this comes, and stays; what goes??? :D You see the difficult with which I grapple, or maybe you don’t. :D lastly, many of these “stars,” for lack of a better... I have come to know of first see -even if only casually- through movies & tv. Meaning I may know them or are introduced to their personalities in a different light than most of their traditional fans. If I didn’t know any better, I’d think I’m building a strong case for why I should not do so: but that is not explicitly, or outwardly // consciously , the attempt or (the) intent! : ) for instance, I’m not even certain if I understand Kpop to be all Korean pop music, or a sub genre of sorts... but that’s no matter - less thinking of the thing, and more doing, as they say. Hey? 👋 ! : D
I totally get what you mean and you are very clever to realise what could happen! I just got addicted straight away and now I guess it is all consuming because I very rarely listen to anything else. They keep on churning out the hits and the teasers so you never have to wait long - or never get a chance to escape their clutches if you want to look at it that way!
I'm not so good with the girl groups, I'm still getting to learn about them but at the moment I love Girls Generation, Red Velvet, f(x) and Mamamoo. Maybe a couple of others but I'm much more into the guys. Not just that they look great of course *halo but I really love the choreography and the guys tend to be a lot sharper. My favourite dancers are Taemin (of Shinee) as I showed you, Kai (of Exo), Ten and Taeyong (of NCT). Incredibly, they all got put into a supergroup called SuperM so I'm just over the moon!

This is Ten and Taeyong together. NCT has loads of sub groups, this is just one of them.

MisterBGone

SF Supporter
@BlueGreen : ) yes! I never knew that — it is all such a deep world to delve into... (I’ve got to approach with caution ; ) j/k!) - & you know that’s something I was wondering: if on average, or in general would most consider the guys to be inadequate performers or dancers, technically speaking? (Knowing nothing about dance in &’of itself; that’s sort of what I’d always assumed... but maybe I’m just seeing what I want to see - & admittedly, what I have seen is mostly on game shows & whatnot in terms of this, and at that, probably opposite of you with respect to the girls vs. guys! HA. : ) ) I recognize some of those names in the bands/groups, but would be hard pressed to nail which is which if presented with a photo of each. . ;D thanks for the tip, though; it can be all a bit mind boggling because there is so much there and it is very foreign in the. Beginning (with knowing where to begin). :D -& yes, that does sound like quite the power lineup of guy stars, there: I gather that the ones especially coming from the same agencies or whatever, the training grounds & such, become friendly with one another. But I didn’t know about all of the crisscrossing subgroups! ( ;

JDot

remember to drink plenty of water
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
OMG, I am in the middle of watching The K2 and saw the thumbnail and recognised Yoona's face @JDot! I didn't realise she was in GG. Do you think she has had Jaw surgery? I keep looking at her face and she has quite an unnaturally smooth line from her ear as if it has been 'shaved'.
Yeah. Yoona is usually considered the visual in SNSD. I don't watch a lot of Kdrama, but I've seen a few episodes of The K2. It was pretty cool from what I saw. It's very possible she had plastic surgery. If you look at pictures of SNSD when they were younger, you get the feeling they all had plastic surgery. Also they look quite different between their first music video and the rest.

BlueGreen

@BlueGreen : ) yes! I never knew that — it is all such a deep world to delve into... (I’ve got to approach with caution ; ) j/k!) - & you know that’s something I was wondering: if on average, or in general would most consider the guys to be inadequate performers or dancers, technically speaking? (Knowing nothing about dance in &’of itself; that’s sort of what I’d always assumed... but maybe I’m just seeing what I want to see - & admittedly, what I have seen is mostly on game shows & whatnot in terms of this, and at that, probably opposite of you with respect to the girls vs. guys! HA. : ) ) I recognize some of those names in the bands/groups, but would be hard pressed to nail which is which if presented with a photo of each. . ;D thanks for the tip, though; it can be all a bit mind boggling because there is so much there and it is very foreign in the. Beginning (with knowing where to begin). :D -& yes, that does sound like quite the power lineup of guy stars, there: I gather that the ones especially coming from the same agencies or whatever, the training grounds & such, become friendly with one another. But I didn’t know about all of the crisscrossing subgroups! ( ;
Yes, it's really confusing and mind boggling to start with but you get used to it. I don't watch the game shows, I just stick with the music and I watch Pops in Seoul and sometimes Simply Kpop because I can get them on my TV channels but just searching for 'Kpop chart' on youtube will show you the latest releases without being too overwhelming. Or just start with one or two groups you like and get familiar with them then branch out. I got obessessed with Shinee, then added Exo and now it's NCT and all the subgroups and I'm learning about what groups are in the charts. I can manage it that way. I get confused just hearing about what went on with Girls Generation - they seem to have quite a history!

To be honest, re the dancing I think a lot of them are OK dancers and because they are so well choreographed and dance in sync, they look cool together. The moves sometimes might not look great on their own but when you have 5 or 9 or 12 dancers all working together it looks great. Individually, even in the best groups there might not be great dancers but they are there for their voices or because they rap. Check out the list of members and they are called 'main dancer' or main vocal or something like that so they are chosen for a purpose. Kai for instance is one of the best dancers in Kpop but vocally he's not great. Taemin is amazing but again vocally not brilliant but his voice has developed and now he is respected for his solo work. SuperM has those 4 amazing dancers I mentioned before but they also have Baekyhun from Exo whose voice is incredible. Taeyong is an incredible dancer but also a great rapper so SuperM covers a lot of bases. Interesting that they put a young guy, Lucas, also of an NCT sub group in there because he wasn't well known but he is stunning looking! They are also chosen for their language skills. BTS have RM who speaks English. Other groups might have Chinese or Japanese members who can appeal to those markets. In SuperM, Mark speaks English, Lucas speaks Chinese and Ten speaks Chinese, English and Thai. NCT has subgroups to appeal to the different markets. WayV is a subgroup and sing in Chinese. Shinee sing a lot in Japanese.

I know from watching videos of NCT that some groups live in dorms together (which probably explains how they keep working in lockdown) so they are all very close. Also because of their training together they form friendships before they get put into groups. Taemin and Kai were best friends and in different groups before they both got put into SuperM so that was really lovely because they are very close.

I have to admit, even though I was crazy about Shinee, it took me a good while before I stopped getting confused with two of their members! Now I see how different they are but when you new to it, they can look similar and they are especially hard to recognise when they keep changing their image or hair colour every few days! :D

BlueGreen

Yeah. Yoona is usually considered the visual in SNSD. I don't watch a lot of Kdrama, but I've seen a few episodes of The K2. It was pretty cool from what I saw. It's very possible she had plastic surgery. If you look at pictures of SNSD when they were younger, you get the feeling they all had plastic surgery. Also they look quite different between their first music video and the rest.
That's interesting that she's the visual because I didn't think she was 'that' pretty (very pretty obviously but not for the lead in the drama). Even my husband said he didn't know why she was considered a catch in the sense that the character was so crazy, it didn't make sense that the male lead was attracted to her and her looks weren't enough to overcome that. K2 is a bit of a strange show. I've just finished watching The King Eternal Monarch which I really enjoyed. Those are the only two Kdramas I've seen but the romance is very innocent. So I'm not sure if that is a cultural thing or just these two.

Yoona looks as if she has an underbite or something. But then I remembered that girls have surgery to have that shape face and it made sense. It's a shame because I'm sure she must have looked better before, it does look a little strange.

MisterBGone

SF Supporter
HA! Thanks for all the great stuff! And heck- you really know your stuff for someone who hasn’t been a fan forever! Yes, I probably know G.G. (If that’s a thing, the abbreviation?) best — & admittedly, it isn’t even that great, not necessarily for their music! : ) I think bts came to la last year & it was a really big deal (they’ve got Korea town there & whatnot) but probably also others I’d imagine would like them - though I have. No clue as to their fans’ demographics. . ;D And from what you say I gather a lot... it makes sense to have those who can speak multilingual to help out international ly. I was quite surprised to find how many who’ve made it on the girls’ side grew up in ‘The States!’ Id have to imagine it would be incredibly difficult to move there as a teenager & not know the language, culture etc. And then get thrown into this; but maybe in a way, that actually kind of helped, because then you would have a team around you. (However I am only thinking out loud and don’t really know what I’m speaking about in any kind of ‘factual sense!’) - so please don’t quote me!
Sorry @JDot ! Didn’t mean to turn this into such a discussion oriented thread...

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00