New therapist

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by lightning05, May 20, 2016.

1. lightning05

lightning05 Well-Known Member

I was going to a free counseling clinic near my home since the end of August and now my sessions have run out and next week is my last one. My therapist has helped me out so much and I have grown a lot with her, but I still have so many things going on. Every time I think that I have worked out every issue something else comes up. I didn't know there was so much in my past. It's like every time I peel off a layer it exposes something else.

I feel like I am about to be in therapy limbo right now and since I am starting a new job my anxiety level is pretty high. I'm nervous about fucking up and my depression getting in the way of my performance. It seems like bad timing with such a big change happening in my life and not being able to talk to her. There is an open door policy and she says I can come in when I need to but it's not guaranteed that she can see me.

She gave me a list of other groups and people that she recommends but I really hate going in there and having to tell my story from the very beginning again. I am sick of having to start from scratch about my abuse and how it led me to be here now. Sometimes talking about it can be triggering. I'm confused about what to do right now as far as more therapy/counseling. I know I probably shouldn't go without one but I am being stubborn and not wanting anyone new.
  2. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

Hi Lightning,I'm sorry to hear this. Is there some reason your therapist can only see you for a certain amount to time?
    It does seem redundant, after building a foundation and relationship with her that you have to start again from scratch, especially since it sounds like you've made progress. On the plus side, the open door policy does offer some hope. Is her availability to see you based on the number of appointments she has? I hope something can be worked out with her that will allow you to continue.
    I also wanted to ask if I could pm you about my pain medication addiction, you said you'd had some experience with this in the past. I'd like to talk to someone who's been through withdrawal and living without now. I feel better mentally but the pain issue that was being treated is still there and some other symptoms.
    Thank you
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

A change of therapists can be a scary thought especially when you have bonded with them. I'm sorry it has come to an end but I strongly reccomend that you stay in therapy, the next therapist might be just as helpful and kind. Be kind to yourself and get the help you require. Good luck to you.
  4. lightning05

lightning05 Well-Known Member

Where I am now is a free clinic and they only offer short term. I knew that going into it and I guess my depressed brain thought that maybe I wouldn't need it after this. The open door policy definitely gives me some comfort. She can only see me sometimes because of the number of appointments she has and they are extremely understaffed. I am going to check out some of the places she gave me in the meantime and maybe go to a free group just to be in some sort of supportive setting. I guess I am just scared of having to tell everything all over again.
    Brian777 likes this.
  5. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

That's great lightning, the group sessions I'm sure will help and then the chance to see your own therapist is still open, she must be fond of you to offer you an open door policy. Sounds like you've made great progress and I'm sure you will continue to do so. I'm happy for you :)