post your major complaint here

EXTRA MAJOR complaint: This mf country is insane in it's greed. New annual bill received for my homeowner's with a $1200 increase in one year with no claims against it. And it's doubled from 2018. Why the hell should this industry charge someone an obscene amount for covering a small house? And research is showing me as I start to investigate that my electric and plumbing are over 40 years old without update so I'm not even eligible for a quote so far with who I've contacted. I am not sure this isn't the wall I'm going to continue to run into. And the agent with the company I use just told me if I was in San Antonio it would be 1/3 of what they are trying to grab me for here. Something to do with being coastal....wind and hail being an issue for coverage. Wind and hail happens many locations, not just the Gulf coast.
How the hell does anyone retire any more? Insurances of all kinds take large chunks of money and end result for those of us not milionaires wind up on the street living in a car some point down the road.
This is when I start to seriously consider becoming an expatriate. I just found out about a small community in Mexico recently. Maybe so.
Rant not over quite yet.....
Wow, that is insane. Insurance has gone up a lot here too. We pay $154 per month (Cdn) for homeowner's insurance for a 2 bedroom apartment. Seniors do get a break on taxes from the city. In Canada there are federal grants up to about $17,000 that seniors can get for home renovations - you might want to check that out for where you live.

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I don't know if this is a major or petty complaint, really,

My laptop has started to give a loud beep during POST when I turn it on.

It's late here so I will work out what's wrong tomorrow, but I can't believe this. The warranty ran out about 2 months ago.
i hope it's just a glich and will be easy to fix. and it could also be a planned breakdown. my son and i bought desktop computers around 2 weeks apart. they were both the exact same computer. mine died shortly after warranty ran out. and guess what my sons computer died exactly 2 weeks after mine, so both computers died at exactly the same amount of time after being fired up. i am sure there was a program to die after warranty so we would buy a new one

mike...*hug*shake

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
EXTRA MAJOR complaint: This mf country is insane in it's greed. New annual bill received for my homeowner's with a $1200 increase in one year with no claims against it. And it's doubled from 2018. Why the hell should this industry charge someone an obscene amount for covering a small house? And research is showing me as I start to investigate that my electric and plumbing are over 40 years old without update so I'm not even eligible for a quote so far with who I've contacted. I am not sure this isn't the wall I'm going to continue to run into. And the agent with the company I use just told me if I was in San Antonio it would be 1/3 of what they are trying to grab me for here. Something to do with being coastal....wind and hail being an issue for coverage. Wind and hail happens many locations, not just the Gulf coast.
How the hell does anyone retire any more? Insurances of all kinds take large chunks of money and end result for those of us not milionaires wind up on the street living in a car some point down the road.
This is when I start to seriously consider becoming an expatriate. I just found out about a small community in Mexico recently. Maybe so.
Rant not over quite yet.....
insurance is a great racket to get into. they collect premiums and if something does happen they try to cheat you or refuse claims, and if they pay out then they raise your premiums for using the insurance you were paying for. and if it's a major disaster they file bankruptsy and don't have to pay. when i started renters insurance it was $35 a year 20 years ago now it'd almost $300 a year.

mike...*hug*shake

insurance is a great racket to get into. they collect premiums and if something does happen they try to cheat you or refuse claims, and if they pay out then they raise your premiums for using the insurance you were paying for. and if it's a major disaster they file bankruptsy and don't have to pay. when i started renters insurance it was $35 a year 20 years ago now it'd almost $300 a year.

mike...*hug*shake
I know it's a racket, it doesn't seem to have an alternative.....so homeowners, medical, prescription, Medicare, auto on 2 vehicles, and the truck is 30 years old which doesn't seem to reduce premium, and I also buy flood insurance annually since we are so close to the coast and have hurricanes.and water levels have risen in flood areas since so much construction and concrete has replaced natural acreage that was once prevalent here. I never remember Houston flooding decades ago like it does now. Oh, I forgot the annual HOA fees and county taxes and ridiculously high federal taxes which are insult to the population that is retired and not wealthy.
After the dogs die, it will be cheaper to move to an apartment if I don't move to Mexico or Israel.;)*hug

Last edited:
I am over being a homeowner. The plumber just left. Quote of $5000 to replumb just the horizontal pipes in this little house.
Up against a wall finding a new insurance company after calling several for quotes this morning. My plumbing and electric are right at 45 years old and the major carriers won't touch a house that hasn't been updated in these areas if over 40. I'm apparently grandfathered in with the company I've had in place for 21 years. I'm worn out just thinking about what to do......why does everything happen at once? Just finished having to have the oven and the washing machine fixed......new HVAC two years ago....Keeping a house well functioning and paying the governement annually to live here in these times is becoming undoable for me.

Last edited:

Shelly

SF Supporter
i’ve been having moments where i feel so scared, i want to end things immediately without really thinking.
the more it happens the less control i have with stopping my brain not to do it.

I am over being a homeowner. The plumber just left. Quote of $5000 to replumb just the horizontal pipes in this little house.
Up against a wall finding a new insurance company after calling several for quotes this morning. My plumbing and electric are right at 45 years old and the major carriers won't touch a house that hasn't been updated in these areas if over 40. I'm apparently grandfathered in with the company I've had in place for 21 years. I'm worn out just thinking about what to do......why does everything happen at once? Just finished having to have the oven and the washing machine fixed......new HVAC two years ago....Keeping a house well functioning and paying the governement annually to live here in these times is becoming undoable for me.
Just wondered if you looked into that seniors' homeowner grant I mentioned. I think you're in the US so not sure what there might be, but maybe there is something. Neighbors of mine got the grant when we had a special levy for the building envelope repair, which was $10,000 and change just for their suite.

Looks like that Canadian program I mentioned has been cancelled :( Now there are only tax credits available and it looks like they are only for renovations to install safety features for elderly or disabled people.

mike...*hug*shake
That's such a shame - my insurance was there when I needed it after a fire, but I think there has to be intense regulation of insurance companies to ensure they are not just finding ways not to pay. The kind of thing "big government" does.

Public insurance is a better option. I worked in public insurance for 22 years which is not-for-profit, but in the end the company became so profit-driven you would hardly know the difference.

mike...*hug*shake
That's about a 1000% increase I think.....
I wonder how other countries accomplish caring for their peoples' health and property replacements. I know other countries have challenges but my little mind is thinking their different approaches have to have successes at some levels.

That's about a 1000% increase I think.....
I wonder how other countries accomplish caring for their peoples' health and property replacements. I know other countries have challenges but my little mind is thinking their different approaches have to have successes at some levels.
Public insurance is better. It is non-profit insurance usually run by the government or a nonprofit organization. However most public insurance is under threat as the private insurers want the business.

Last edited:

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
it's harder and harder to maintain a house these days unless you are well off or can do most of the work yourself. i used to do all of the work but since i couldn't anymore i went into an apartment. i have to pay rent but no surprise bills. i used to pay around $250 a year for full coverage on 2 vehicles and liability on one in the 80s now i pay around $1100 a year for full coverage on my 64 dodge and 06 ram 4x4 . i haven't had a ticket or accident in decades.

mike...*hug*shake

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
That's such a shame - my insurance was there when I needed it after a fire, but I think there has to be intense regulation of insurance companies to ensure they are not just finding ways not to pay. The kind of thing "big government" does.

Public insurance is a better option. I worked in public insurance for 22 years which is not-for-profit, but in the end the company became so profit-driven you would hardly know the difference.
when i was a union president for my local one of my duties was negotiating health insurance along side the company. the insurance company said they had no choice but to raise premiums 21%. i rejected the offer, long story short i made them compete with 2 other companies. after that speech about 21% being the only price, i got them down to nly a 5% increse but they lowered drug co-pays 50%. so they were just going to raise the price because they could. of course the company was very happy because they paid 85% of the premiums lol

mike...*hug*shake

iloverachel

An outcast, forgotten and excluded by society
Just tired of being a worthless loser no one cares about (in real life)
Been a worthless reject my entire life, and still not used to it.
I just don't fit in anywhere in this world.
This forum is awesome filled with caring people, but the outside world is a cold distant place.

it's harder and harder to maintain a house these days unless you are well off or can do most of the work yourself. i used to do all of the work but since i couldn't anymore i went into an apartment. i have to pay rent but no surprise bills. i used to pay around $250 a year for full coverage on 2 vehicles and liability on one in the 80s now i pay around $1100 a year for full coverage on my 64 dodge and 06 ram 4x4 . i haven't had a ticket or accident in decades.

mike...*hug*shake
when i was a union president for my local one of my duties was negotiating health insurance along side the company. the insurance company said they had no choice but to raise premiums 21%. i rejected the offer, long story short i made them compete with 2 other companies. after that speech about 21% being the only price, i got them down to nly a 5% increse but they lowered drug co-pays 50%. so they were just going to raise the price because they could. of course the company was very happy because they paid 85% of the premiums lol

mike...*hug*shake
that would be wonderful to have negotiating capabilities as an individual:)

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
@Livelife I totally understand. Insurance sucks and you get very little from. Heaven forbid that you submit a claim. Then they triple your rates. They want you to insure your home, you appliance, your cars, health, dental, prescription, heck they want you to insure your smart phone, your mortgage, your identity. No one can afford all this insurance short of Bill Gates. Moving to an apartment doesn't help because they add all the insurance to your rent. Am glad I am an old goat and not long for this world.

seabird

meandering home
SF Supporter
@Livelife I totally understand. Insurance sucks and you get very little from. Heaven forbid that you submit a claim. Then they triple your rates. They want you to insure your home, you appliance, your cars, health, dental, prescription, heck they want you to insure your smart phone, your mortgage, your identity. No one can afford all this insurance short of Bill Gates. Moving to an apartment doesn't help because they add all the insurance to your rent. Am glad I am an old goat and not long for this world.
This could be a (dark) comedy routine. Unfortunately it is true. The Insurance racket in this world is bs and an unethical conflict of interest.

Cytrix

You know, I'm about tired of people's negativity. There's enough of it going around with the whole world falling apart. Do we really need people nitpicking about validating one's living? So what if someone wants to work at fucking wal-mart. Do YOU have any solutions as to what they could do, you negative judgmental shithead? What if they wanna work there? They want to, so what's the problem? None because you can't handle people simply LIVING their lives while you spend yours, going around online, combing over other people's lives like you're some edgelord online god and thinking you have the jurisdiction to dictate how people can live.

And you guys turn around thinking, you've got a say in how the world has gone to shit? You can't have things both ways, despite all of your seemingly meticulous way in how you think and how you see the world. You still have an infantile understand and it shows more than you can realize. You know what I've been calling these people lately? Unplanned. That's who they are, unplanned individuals brought into this world with the sole purpose of judging and judging others because they themselves have nothing to offer the world, but instead contribute to it's damnation. While playing some little anti-hero, vigilante, Joker-esque character online.

You need to fuck off, seriously. Fuck off, stop weighing down on people's mental state while we're busy trying to manage things infront of us. You're the definition of someone who peaked in high school, much less, peaked in middle school.

There it is. Let's not forget HOA's and flood insurance for coastal areas like mine. And the health now includes a health company premium and a Medicare premium and a prescription company premium. And I hold my breath every year here from June through November.....that's hurricane season here. I still think apartment living, as ridiculous as the costs have skyrocketed to would be cheaper. When my dogs die, I will be investigating them.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00