post your major complaint here

Lisa the Goatgirl

She's less of an enigma now
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I'm so sick of these pretentious, self-important industries that produce their own vicious, toxic little fiefdoms, in which they try to normalise and defend openly shitting on one another and tearing each other to shreds. No food, no art, nothing at all is ever worth completely destroying a person's self-image, and crushing their dreams. I'm fucking appalled to see the ways some people jump to the defence of prominent figures in these industries, and the way they tear others apart to "protect the sanctity of their medium."

If you have ever defended the likes of Gordon Ramsey or Hayao Miyazaki on the grounds that "their expertise gives them the right to be harsh", you are part of the reason there's a mental health crisis, and as far as i'm concerned, you can fuck right off, because you are defending abusers.

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
I'm so sick of these pretentious, self-important industries that produce their own vicious, toxic little fiefdoms, in which they try to normalise and defend openly shitting on one another and tearing each other to shreds. No food, no art, nothing at all is ever worth completely destroying a person's self-image, and crushing their dreams. I'm fucking appalled to see the ways some people jump to the defence of prominent figures in these industries, and the way they tear others apart to "protect the sanctity of their medium."

If you have ever defended the likes of Gordon Ramsey or Hayao Miyazaki on the grounds that "their expertise gives them the right to be harsh", you are part of the reason there's a mental health crisis, and as far as i'm concerned, you can fuck right off, because you are defending abusers.
Miyazaki’s like that? That is very disappointing.

Lisa the Goatgirl

She's less of an enigma now
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Miyazaki’s like that? That is very disappointing.
Yeah, it's a real shame, isn't it? But the dude has a track record of ripping into people whose work he disapproves of. I think the example that most makes the point is that he walked out of the screening of one of his own sons' movies. But the one that bothered me today was a team of AI programmers showing him the technical achievement of some of their work, and him describing it among other things as "an insult to life", which was way harsher than it needed to be.

Then a depressing number of people decided to jump in and defend the things he said just because he's a talented animator and "by the standards of art critiques, this was pretty gentle." They were seriously arguing what Miyazaki said isn't that bad, because it's common in art critiques "to hear things like why are you wasting everyone's time?" or "to get asked a barrage of questions that make you feel stupid and wish you were dead." Those were both direct quotes from someone arguing in support of Miyazaki, and i don't think they realise just how disturbing that is.

If saying "this is an insult to life" is gentle by the standards of art critiques, it's a pretty damning indictment of how artists treat one another, and i don't think anything they could ever create could justify the human cost of living and working within an environment that toxic. It's absolutely shameful that people want to normalise this kind of behaviour. And it disgusts me that it somehow manages to be controversial to say that nobody should be that harsh and critical when addressing anything that doesn't cause tangible harm to the world.

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
Now that you mention it, I do remember reading somewhere that his son didn’t much like him.

My cousin went to a very prestigious art school, and tried to explain/justify that kind of behavior. To me it just sounds like a bunch of extremely insecure people trying to demonstrate their status, plus a few sociopaths who found an excuse to treat people the way that comes naturally to them.

seabird

meandering home
SF Supporter
Now that you mention it, I do remember reading somewhere that his son didn’t much like him.

My cousin went to a very prestigious art school, and tried to explain/justify that kind of behavior. To me it just sounds like a bunch of extremely insecure people trying to demonstrate their status, plus a few sociopaths who found an excuse to treat people the way that comes naturally to them.
I studied with an artist who has his work all over the world. He absolutely never not once criticised the artist. If anyone in his studio or class acted like that he'd kick them out.

There is no perfect country or rave or group - all groups of humans have some nasty bits in them, artists included.

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
Not been well (stomach problems). Had some chicken broth a couple hours ago; that’s the first thing I’ve eaten since Saturday. Feeling very weak, plus how the hell does not eating make my blood-sugar go up?

i am sick and tired how my throat is constantly wheezing when i’m exhaling and every now and then i cough up because i’m choking in my own phlegm/saliva, and it’s the worst at night when i’m lying down, it even wakes me up in my sleep.

it seems like i’m allergic to everything and everyone

Serious ticking time bomb health conditions, and either having nothing you can do to stop them, or having little motivation to do anything about them if you can. What ever is going to happen, I just want to get it over with and not deal with this dread all the time.

I feel if something's going to threaten me constantly, then put up or shut up, cause I'm tired of your baseless threat or living in fear about what's going to happen. I don't control the circumstances, just partially how I react to them. Stop making me think I had/have a choice when I never did.

Cytrix

I like how my mind has ruined all four days of my vacation from work that I've had. Spent two of them worrying too much on whether my PPTO was used right. Spent another day just doing piss all and now my remaining day is gonna be crammed with things I wanna do, if barely, through the weather. Tomorrow is back to the grind...yay.

So, as well as teach, I run a small business from home. I often get people contact saying things haven’t arrived but this year it has been far worse than usual. I don’t mind if people are understanding, I have no control over the post once I have sent it out, but some people are so impatient and refuse to understand if it hasn’t arrived after just a couple of days. I posted something out on Monday, Royal Mail is on strike again Friday and Saturday so it hasn’t arrived. I’m not sure what she wants me to do? I get so uptight and frustrated and cross, when they get all arsey and blame me. I wrote and rewrote my reply, wanting to tell her what I really thought, but in the end I know that if I do, they will give bad feedback, so I refunded her in full and then blocked her from being able to purchase again. It doesn’t take much to have some simple curtesy and politeness. If they are nice, I am nice back and some. I will bend over backwards to rectify a problem and always at my own expense, even if it is the posts fault. But if they are difficult, I have no time for them and they can get lost. 😡

Shelly

SF Supporter
not so phlegmy anymore, but my throat still rattles 24/7, so much that it is still makes me cough and needing to clear my throat, i still puke but nothing but nothing comes out.

Shelly

SF Supporter
post nasal drip and coughing fits at night.
got diagnosed with bilateral pneumonia

Day 1 med went okay i was hopeful i would get cured, i slept well, no coughing

Day 2 and i’m back at the start, it’s already 1am :(

Witty_Sarcasm

🦄🦜🧁🌈🌝💖
SF Supporter
Someone did this to you? *huh They must be pretty rotten, or ill in the head, or both.
hugs
And, well I hope you can use our collective energy to help shrug them off.

*console
Some people in my life don't seem to care how bad they make me feel. Even when it's brought up to them, they shrug it off like it doesn't matter. Makes me feel really unimportant.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00