Drug addiction. In my old neighborhood I couldn't walk outside without seeing people visibly high. In my new neighborhood it's a few blocks away thank goodness but still rampant.
I admit that I don't understand it at all, especially the street-level needle addictions. Mostly, I don't understand why it's so common. And I hate the politically correct term "drug user." They are not "using" the drugs - the drugs are using them! They invite a demon into their bodies and souls. I know so many people, including my best friend, whose families are devastated by addicts. Her older sister is a black hole who has sucked up literally hundreds of thousands of dollars from her parents. They put her through rehab many times, supported her son, and now the daughter is still leeching off her remaining parent even though this addict is now sixty years old. She is high all the time and forces her elderly mother to do all the cooking and cleaning. Her mother fell down and broke her shoulder in the shower, and the useless daughter came home from the pub and passed out and left her mother lying there with a broken bone for hours and hours. Nice work at being a human being. She is a horrible daughter, mother, and older sister. My friend used to look up to her when they were growing up - her big sister. Now she has cut her out of her life completely. As has her son.
You don't "use" intoxicating drugs. They use you. You trade away your humanity and become a hungry ghost. So very, very sad. And of course many addicts come from backgrounds of abuse - but in taking drugs they become the very monster that hurt them - they neglect or abuse their kids and families. But I can certainly respect and even revere those who get clean and try to make amends.