About bragging, I also make the difference. I do mean it when I say I totally admire people who can talk about themselves in a positive light, I think there's nothing wrong with it and I absolutely encourage doing so.
It's good to know your strengths, and rare are the people who actually 'brag' in a narcissistic way.
This doesn't mean I don't feel like shit (or disingenuous) when I try to do so myself. It feels like a lie, it feels wrong. Feelings are feelings, I'm not having these thoughts on purpose, damnit.
(This is frustration at myself, no one in this thread of course. :p)
Again, I want to point out that the problem isn't others, it's me. I absolutely understand and agree with the "you're being rude for not believing me", but like I said, I do believe people when they say it. It's a fleeting feeling perhaps, I'm not sure, but that is NOT the issue.
It doesn't exactly help me when I'm really having a self-esteem crisis, and someone makes it about them "not giving enough compliments" or me "discarding them" as if that was my intention in all of this. It shuts me down instantly. One of the million reasons I don't feel like I can talk to people about my feelings/issues.
It's extremely important to me that the people who care about me and believe I'm "great" in any way know how grateful I am and how much I value their opinions and that I really really try (and sometimes succeed) to believe that myself. This doesn't mean my freaking mind lets go of all the thoughts when it wants to. I WANT to have better self-esteem.
Again, I'm talking to myself here, not getting upset at anyone else. Thank you for all your replies, I appreciate it a lot.
It's good to know your strengths, and rare are the people who actually 'brag' in a narcissistic way.This doesn't mean I don't feel like shit (or disingenuous) when I try to do so myself. It feels like a lie, it feels wrong. Feelings are feelings, I'm not having these thoughts on purpose, damnit.
(This is frustration at myself, no one in this thread of course. :p)Again, I want to point out that the problem isn't others, it's me. I absolutely understand and agree with the "you're being rude for not believing me", but like I said, I do believe people when they say it. It's a fleeting feeling perhaps, I'm not sure, but that is NOT the issue.
It doesn't exactly help me when I'm really having a self-esteem crisis, and someone makes it about them "not giving enough compliments" or me "discarding them" as if that was my intention in all of this. It shuts me down instantly. One of the million reasons I don't feel like I can talk to people about my feelings/issues.
It's extremely important to me that the people who care about me and believe I'm "great" in any way know how grateful I am and how much I value their opinions and that I really really try (and sometimes succeed) to believe that myself. This doesn't mean my freaking mind lets go of all the thoughts when it wants to. I WANT to have better self-esteem.
Again, I'm talking to myself here, not getting upset at anyone else. Thank you for all your replies, I appreciate it a lot.

Last edited:
The problem is only in me and how I view myself, not how others view me, there's a clear disconnect between both.
I know what you meant, and I agree with all of it. I absolutely think it might help other people, too.